Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Recommendations with painting rims

View Poll Results: Paint or leave black
Paint the items in white on example silver to match truck 1 20.00%
Leave them alone 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
MPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant future
Name: CHad
MPLS TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Recommendations with painting rims

So to make a long story short I had rims with some nice accents to them but they were recalled and I ended up going with the rockstar twos (I know I will get the mall krawler remarks but these were not my first choice). I like the rims and plasti dipped some areas and really liked the contrast but the plasti dip did not weather well and chipped/peeled to soon for my liking's. So I am thinking of getting them painted silver to match the truck. I posted a pic of the paint I would like to do and what my truck looks like with the plasti dipped rims. I guess I know its ultimately my decision and I am leaning to having it done but input good or bad.

With the plasti dip

Example of what I want to do
Old 01-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
For the cost and time and effort you'll put in. I'd look into powder coating
Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Shwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shedShwaa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Shwaa's Tacoma Gallery
I think they look far better all black. My $0.02
Old 01-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
MPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant futureMPLS TACO has a brilliant future
Its actually really easy all these pieces come off the rims and can be painted. The pieces are plastic so powder is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
For the cost and time and effort you'll put in. I'd look into powder coating
Old 01-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by js312 View Post
+1

I like them all black IMO

but do what you want, its your truck.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
Picture I just took at work
Old 01-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
I'd look into having the wheels hydrodipped. As durable as the trucks finish and comes in a vast selection of patterns/colors and can be done to many surfaces including plastic.
Either the whole wheel (there's prob someone local who does it) or just those removeable pieces could easily be shipped.

There's a member here who does it (did my engine bay) and I've got some interior items at his shop now
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...-printing.html

Old 01-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS TACO View Post
Its actually really easy all these pieces come off the rims and can be painted. The pieces are plastic so powder is not good.
I would pull the plastic pieces off and paint them then. I thought u wanted to do the whole wheel. I think a gunmetal gray or black would look best
Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
JustinFro is on a distinguished road

JustinFro's Tacoma Gallery
^ x2