1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Differential Skids

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by qnyla, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Jan 24, 2015 at 7:38 PM
    qnyla

qnyla [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    I am looking at rear diff skids, and would appreciate some feedback from those who have experience with differential skids on the 2nd Gen Tacoma.

The are three skids offered that I know of; BAMF, Boztec and Budbuilt.

The most common on Tacomas seems to be the BAMF diff skid. It offers some pinion protection and has what looks to be to most elegant bolt-on attachment design. It does not have openings to allow access to the fill or drain plug, so the diff would have to be dropped to change diff gear oil. Probably no a big deal, but less convenient than if it had openings to allow access to the drain/fill plugs. Cost is high at $425.

bamf.jpg

The Boztec skid is attached using U-bolts, which seems adequate but not very elegant. The Boztec has openings to allow access to the fill/drain plugs. The Boztec does not offer much pinion coverage. Cost is high at $385. Seems popular on FJs.

boztec.jpg

The Budbuilt does not explicitly say it fits the Tacoma, but does fit the FJ. I believe both the FJ and 2nd Gen Taco use the "8.4 in" rear diff, so I am not sure why it would not fit a taco, but I can't seem to find any photos fitted to a Tacoma. Anybody know the story here? Cost is lower at $298.

BudBuilt diff skid 4.jpg

I am leaning toward the BAMF, but would like to hear some experience from TW.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Jan 24, 2015 at 9:34 PM
    PSU Taco85

PSU Taco85 Señor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    optional
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR mostly stock
    Plasti dipped hootus
    Save your money, those diff diapers are a complete waste. Lower your ground clearance by 1/2" or better and act as a scoop to fill the area between the skid and diff with mud. The differential is already pretty beefy and doesn't really need a skid IMO.

I took my boztec skid off after wheeling with it a few times. If you want it I would sell it much cheaper than a new one though.

Products Discussed in

To Top