Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Speedometer / Cruise Control Problem

Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
mantwint is on a distinguished road
mantwint's Tacoma Gallery
Speedometer / Cruise Control Problem

I had the Toyota dealership look at all of the recalls recently on my 2008 Tacoma V6 access cap pre-runner (90,500 miles). After they did everything, a week or so later, I noticed my speedometer jumping around +-5 mph as I drive. It had never done this before.

The cruise control also seems to be having an issue that is related to this problem. The surges that I'm noticing in the speedometer are affecting the cruise control as well. When I set the cruise, it seems to loose power and surge again and again with the jumping of the speedometer.

To be clear, when I'm driving without using the cruise control, I'm not loosing power, the issue is strictly with the speedometer. When I turn cruise on, the cruise seems to surge and loose power the same as my readings on the speedometer.

The problem is intermittent, it will do this sometimes and not others. The Toyota Dealer here in Abilene Texas says they haven't been able to replicate the problem. (and they don't know what the problem is). This was never an issue before I took it into them to have them do all the safety recall inspections. (one of which was to look at the spiral cable - that's what I think the issue may be - something not plugged in all the way)

Any ideas??
Old 01-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
08TRDOFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Take it back to them and make them figure it out. If it appeared after they performed the work, they need to resolve it. Make them recheck all the connections associated with the spiral cable work.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Oey12 will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
Name: Joe
Oey12's Tacoma Gallery
I had a very similar problem with a 2005 Toyota Camry. The cruise control would speed up and slow down on its own and then the dashboard light would flash and shut off. After that the speedometer would jump even though my speed didn't change. At first I thought it was a problem with the cruise control because I had no other problems but I brought it to a local dealership anyway. Long story short is was some type of bad electronic brake module(according to them it was tied into the ABS/traction control/cruise control system). I will try to find the bill and get you an exact name but good luck buddy! And bring it back to the dealership...
Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt a janked spiral cable would make the speedo off
it cannot control the speed reading at the combo meter unless it is actually changing vehicle speed to do it

cruise control is 2 wires

positive and negative wire, with resistance between the
two dictating the modes, or lack of resistance

on/off is shorted, on then off
cruise resume is 240ohms resistance level shorted
cruise set is 630ohms resistance level shorted
cruise cancel is 1540ohms resistance level shorted

now, a bad spiral cable -might- be able to turn cruise on or
off or short it at varying resistance to make the system think you
are providing input....it is just a thin ribbon

but none of this affects speedometer...so if the speedo is also jumping
the problem is not cruise control or spiral cable, it is some other
part of the wiring away from the steering wheel itself

if only cruise is jacked, and cruise is setting speeds, the spiral cable assembly is messed up or installed wrong as it seems to be doing cruise resume or cancel erratically
Old 01-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
I've taken it to the dealership - they drove it some and the problem didn't occur. (it is intermittent) - they are talking like they do not want to do any work on it until the problem occurs while they are driving it.

Anyway, I really appreciate your responses. Any other feedback is welcome. In the mean time, I'll let you know what the dealership says later today.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
A faulty vehicle speed sensor signal could cause those symptoms, are you auto or manual transmission?

I too doubt whether it has anything to do with the work just performed, more likely just a coincidence.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
Manual transmission - 6 speed
Old 01-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Then I would be suspect of the vehicle speed sensor in the transmission or it's connector and wiring harness. Keep us posted.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
Wishin' I was Fishin'

http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...6ta/054005.pdf

Note the differences between M/T and A/T vehicles - only look at the wiring marked with (*3) in the diagram, and follow only the manual transmission steps.