1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will Toyota dealers offer discounts on second gens?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SpaceTimeRipples, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    I don't think you'll see much of a discount on 15s when the 16s do show up. Toyota doesn't really over build them. I only see max of 25? on any lot at any given time. They'll just mark up the first loads of 16s so left over 15s will look like a bargain.

2. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I got 1.29% for 5 on mine. Dealers might discount a Tacoma or 2 that is still on the lot when the 16s have come in but I would not count on it. If they do it will be a color or a model no one wants.

3. Jan 28, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    SpaceTimeRipples

SpaceTimeRipples [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Jamaica, NY
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 TRD Tacoma
    Good news, I convinced my dad not to get the wrangler. I did a lot of research and apparently the wranglers commonly blow heads. Another way I swayed him is by showing him high mileage threads where tacomas reach 500k miles and the no such thing existing for Jk wranglers. All I ever found for wranglers is people complaining about having to bring it back to the dealer for repairs at less thank 50k miles. Tacoma forums showed no such thing.

Now, he wants a black v6 double cab. Preferably with the TRD pro package. We havent decided if we should go with the MT or AT. We both drive stick, but my mother doesn't so thats why we havent decided yet.

4. Jan 28, 2015 at 7:13 AM
    gravedgr

gravedgr dirty Ford driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB TRD Off Road (Blue) - gone
    Method Racing Mesh wheels (17x8.5), Cooper ST Maxx tires (285/70/17), Toytec Ultimate lift (3"), Wet Okole seat covers, WT mats, Gemtex mirror, CF stubby antenna, scoop hood, painted grill surround, SOS bumper, SOS bed rack, Tepui Autana RTT, Engo 10k winch, bed lights, under hood lights, diff breather, 12v bed socket, 31M battery + battery monitor
    I'm not sure where you guys are buying from, but when I started negotiating with my dealer they started with their "standard" discount of $2500 or $3000 (it's been almost a year, so I forget exactly how much). This was on an allocation from out of state.

5. Jan 28, 2015 at 7:18 AM
    gravedgr

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Method Racing Mesh wheels (17x8.5), Cooper ST Maxx tires (285/70/17), Toytec Ultimate lift (3"), Wet Okole seat covers, WT mats, Gemtex mirror, CF stubby antenna, scoop hood, painted grill surround, SOS bumper, SOS bed rack, Tepui Autana RTT, Engo 10k winch, bed lights, under hood lights, diff breather, 12v bed socket, 31M battery + battery monitor
    BTW - penfed has new car loans for 1.49% (anyone can join), so negotiate a better price and bring your own financing instead of leaving money on the table to get the manufacturer's financing "deal".

As an example, $30,000 amortized over 48 months @1.49% is $921.60 in interest. I suppose if you're unable to negotiate more than $921 off the sticker price, paying full MSRP @ 0% is better - but as mentioned in my previous post, anyone should be able to get $2-3000 off sticker minimum.

6. Jan 28, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    toomanytoys84

toomanytoys84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    The dealer I used said new or used they don't stay on the lot more than a week. So I'd say no discounts.

7. Jan 28, 2015 at 8:16 AM
    gravedgr

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Customer: Can I have free money?
    Dealer: No.
    Customer: Okay.

:rolleyes:

Unless a dealer controls a local market (i.e. no competition), they will deal. There are 4 dealers within 20 minutes of my house, and they all offer discounts pretty much without asking.

8. Jan 28, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Good luck with getting any discounts on the TRD Pro. The TRD Pro is a trim sold in very limited numbers. They are starting to get scarce now that most of the cheap ones have sold and the remaining dealers will likely hold onto there's until the right, full price plus some, deal comes across there table. If your dad wants a deal he might try getting the dealer to build him a TRD Pro like truck from a TRD Offroad trim and then haggling on the markup. Since the dealers usually make a killing on aftermarket stuff they might be more likely to flex on the price then. With the V6 the manual 6-speed has more issues than the automatic 5-speed if you look around on here. Momma might just get her way.

9. Jan 28, 2015 at 8:35 AM
    toomanytoys84

toomanytoys84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    If you don't buy it someone else will. My point was when the 2016s roll out dealers aren't going to go, hey take 10 grand off this truck, it's old news now. maybe 1000 bucks, but whats a 1000 bucks?

10. Jan 28, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    SpaceTimeRipples

Member:
    Jamaica, NY
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 TRD Tacoma
    In that case I might not go with the Pro. Seems like an automatic transmission is in our future. Although now that you mention negotiating the aftermarket stuff. I wonder what I can convince them to throw in so that I can hook up my 2004 Tacoma. Perhaps 16 inch Beadlock TRD wheels? You think they can do 50% off that?

11. Jan 28, 2015 at 12:38 PM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    Toyota will never offer discounts on trucks like GM does. They sell every truck they make.

12. Jan 28, 2015 at 12:48 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Never take the dealer's word for truth. I've seen the same used tacoma on lots for months. I've also seen new ones sit on lots for way over a week.

I would expect the 2015 to get a discount once the 2016 shows up with its updated features, better gas mileage, and different engine. Going to be hard to sell an outdated model when the "new and improved" one is sitting right next to it. It's not going to be some crazy number like $10k though. If you want a '15 over a '16, I'd wait until the 16 hits, and barter down for extra mod money.

If you're not sure, just go with the '16. The front end looks like crap, but the inside matters most since that's where you'll be most of the time.

13. Jan 28, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    SpaceTimeRipples

Member:
    Jamaica, NY
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 TRD Tacoma
    Honestly, I would never go with a first gen, first production run of anything. While Toyota has a good reputation, it's extremely difficult to get things right on the first run. I'd rather get the last iteration of the 2nd gens which should already have all the kinks worked out(Especially after 10 years of being on the market). Plus like you said, that front end looks horrendous.

Edit: Also, is that new DI engine something that has already been on other Toyota's or is it completely new?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top