1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bigger wheels/tires now have a problem with "slip"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zicked, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Jan 26, 2015 at 5:15 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Good to know. Yet another reason to do an abs kill swich.

2. Jan 26, 2015 at 5:44 PM
    zicked

zicked [OP] Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner, DC, SB
    Just an update to my original post. Thanks for the input and I will read the thread links in more detail later. I also just drove the known road again and I can report that if I push the VCS Off button ONCE and the VCS Off Indicator lights up on the instrument panel, the same issues exist : slip, tone/noise. However, if I stop the vehicle and push and hold the VCS Off button for 3 seconds and both the VCS Off AND the TRAC OFF indicator light up on the instrument panel, all issues go away : no slip, no tone.

3. Jan 26, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    zicked

zicked [OP] Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner, DC, SB
    This is the same for me.

4. Jan 26, 2015 at 6:19 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

VSC OFF is how I drive my truck now all the time

5. Jan 26, 2015 at 8:30 PM
    zicked

zicked [OP] Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner, DC, SB

Like someone else mentioned, my goal is to find a solution that is as safe for me and those who might drive my truck. Disconnecting stock safety items is not ideal.

6. Jan 26, 2015 at 11:29 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

It's one of the stock safety items that is trying to put you in the other lane now

7. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I find it interesting reading about things like this with these trucks. I've driven a number of late model BMW's very hard on photo shoots for work. Drifting them around corners and such. Even without shutting off the electronic nannies they allow a certain amount of slip and it isn't like it's taking total control of the vehicle. I tend to drive a bit more aggressively in the snow than I probably should at times and I've noticed some very unnerving behavior in my wife's Venza from the stability/traction control. But to get this on dry pavement is totally out of control. In my truck I've had the ABS kick in on dry bumpy roads. forget about dirt... I don't see why Toyota can't make a good ABS/traction/stability control system. The technology is obviously out there to do so. I even had an aftermarket Racelogic setup in an older 3 series I had 10 years ago and it was awesome. You could actually select the percentage of slip you wanted to allow and it really worked.

I have the ABS relay under the hood wired inline with a factory fog light switch. Shut the switch off and it opens the circuit and kills the ABS. Switch it on and the next time you restart the truck it's like nothing happened.

8. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:06 PM
    Sky65

Sky65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do all you guys having the issue have oversize tires? If so that may be the problem. I believe the wheel speed and road speed are compared and used in the computer as information what the vehicle is doing. Oversize tires will put change the relationship between road speed and wheel speed based as compared to stock tire size. The computer could be calculating wheel slip based on this information and reacting to it. Actiavting VSC, ABS or any other system that uses that calculation. Just a thought.

Tom

9. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:08 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

I had oversized tires for over a year with zero problems then I got the '09 tranny TSB ECU reflash done and it started happening that day

10. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:28 PM
    Sky65

Sky65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maybe the new software has some new parameters. If it can be easily duplicated it would be interesting to put stock wheels/tires on and see if it is still there or goes away.

Tom

11. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

I definitely think that parameters were changed during the reflash

12. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:39 PM
    zicked

zicked [OP] Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner, DC, SB

3k miles with stock rims and tires never had the issue on a road a windy hilly road I drove 2-4 times a week. Larger rims and tires and issue arises on said road immediately. Speedometer calibration not available for my vehicle yet.

13. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:18 PM
    inesshell

inesshell blah blah blah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All stock Superwhite 10' AC
    interesting read, I have learned to deal with it and drive alot slower....had the vsc flash and it only helped a little when i did it a while back.

14. Jan 28, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    Sky65

Sky65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You may have proved it out. I also suspect that over-sized wheels/tires may be the cause of many of the ABS concerns I read about. Wheel speed as compared to road speed and the rate of wheel/tire deceleration has an as expected value by the computer. This is based on a stock sized wheel/tire. Super aggressive tires may also be a factor in ABS concerns. They are not really designed for the street. They are offroad tires certified by DOT to be used on the street. That does not make them good street tires. I think they have limited traction as compared to a street tire. Lack of traction causes ABS activation. Again. JMHO

Tom

15. Jan 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM
    zicked

zicked [OP] Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner, DC, SB

This has all been very helpful and gives me a great starting point with the installer. My tires are not aggressive. As a matter of fact, I went into the installer asking for some vanity upgrades but specifically said that I didn't want to sacrifice much on the ride and handling and that 95% of my driving is typical highway city.

16. Jan 28, 2015 at 8:54 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    While I agree that oversize tires probably plays a role in VSC sensitivity , many who have complained about ABS sensitivity issues are on stock tires

17. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:03 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    I'm wondering how much of a change of size it takes to creates this problem (if that is it). Is it as little as going from a 265/70R16 to a 265/75R16 or does it take more than that?

Maybe we should do a poll.

18. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:27 AM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    I had the same issue when I went to taller 265 tires. It scared the crap out of me because it almost pulled me off a hillside twice on mountain roads I drive every day.

I had the VSC reset and everything is fine. It will not get triggered under normal or moderately aggressive driving.

19. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:59 AM
    zicked

zicked [OP] Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner, DC, SB

What year model is your Tacoma. What specifically was your method of reset.?

20. Jan 28, 2015 at 10:52 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Pretty sure he's referring to the VSC zero point calibration

Products Discussed in

To Top