Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bigger wheels/tires now have a problem with "slip"

Old 01-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
zicked is on a distinguished road
zicked's Tacoma Gallery
Bigger wheels/tires now have a problem with "slip"

2015 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Pre-runner. Recently had some Toyo AT tires (33OD x 11.5OW on 18 inch rims) installed on my truck. Front end lifted 3 inches, back end leveled up by 1 inch. The installer said that there isn't a speedometer calibrator available yet. No problem, I can do the numbers in my head for now. But after driving for 3k miles before the new rims/tires/lift with absolutely zero issues, I now have an issue which I need some guidance on. While driving on very familiar roads (which presented no issues before the install) I am now experiencing what I can only guess is "slip" around corners. I have only recently been able to see that the actual "Slip Indicator" light on the instrument panel briefly light up. There is a momentary sensation of loss of steering and a sound that I can only describe as a faint electronic motor/whirl (like something is trying to adjust). The electric motor sound will continue to happen as I go around corners even if the loss of steering and "Slip Indicator" light doesn't come on. I have tried to locate info in the forums and I believe at the very least I need the speedometer calibrated, but sounds like I might need to change a gear at the sensor to solve this issue.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
You people are so petty...and tiny
Ride98red is one of the sharper tools in the shedRide98red is one of the sharper tools in the shedRide98red is one of the sharper tools in the shedRide98red is one of the sharper tools in the shedRide98red is one of the sharper tools in the shedRide98red is one of the sharper tools in the shedRide98red is one of the sharper tools in the shedRide98red is one of the sharper tools in the shedRide98red is one of the sharper tools in the shedRide98red is one of the sharper tools in the shedRide98red is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Aaron
Ride98red's Tacoma Gallery
my 2015 is completely stock and i get this same sensation and noise. havent noticed the light yet. i came across a thread the other day on tw that was to the tune of "tacoma traction control is dangerous on our trucks..." after putting just over 2k miles on my truck, I would have to agree with that. it behaves like no other system ive ever owned. i dont like it at all.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
TruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruKnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
yeah vsc will go off if I make a corner too sharply. otherwise I forget its there.

if its giving you problems I believe you want to get a "zero point vsc recalibration" done.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
zicked's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDO View Post
Thanks, that is helpful for me to give to the installer in case they give me the deer in the headlights look.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
zicked's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride98red View Post
my 2015 is completely stock and i get this same sensation and noise. havent noticed the light yet. i came across a thread the other day on tw that was to the tune of "tacoma traction control is dangerous on our trucks..." after putting just over 2k miles on my truck, I would have to agree with that. it behaves like no other system ive ever owned. i dont like it at all.
Never did it once before the install and I drive that road (where I can repeat the issue) regularly.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
zicked's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
yeah vsc will go off if I make a corner too sharply. otherwise I forget its there.

if its giving you problems I believe you want to get a "zero point vsc recalibration" done.
Thanks. More ammo for me to give the installer.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zicked View Post
2015 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Pre-runner. Recently had some Toyo AT tires (33OD x 11.5OW on 18 inch rims) installed on my truck. Front end lifted 3 inches, back end leveled up by 1 inch. The installer said that there isn't a speedometer calibrator available yet. No problem, I can do the numbers in my head for now. But after driving for 3k miles before the new rims/tires/lift with absolutely zero issues, I now have an issue which I need some guidance on. While driving on very familiar roads (which presented no issues before the install) I am now experiencing what I can only guess is "slip" around corners. I have only recently been able to see that the actual "Slip Indicator" light on the instrument panel briefly light up. There is a momentary sensation of loss of steering and a sound that I can only describe as a faint electronic motor/whirl (like something is trying to adjust). The electric motor sound will continue to happen as I go around corners even if the loss of steering and "Slip Indicator" light doesn't come on. I have tried to locate info in the forums and I believe at the very least I need the speedometer calibrated, but sounds like I might need to change a gear at the sensor to solve this issue.

I know the exact tone you are talking about that occurs without any VSC interaction
Old 01-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #10
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
VSC just about pulled me off the road the other day. I was getting off the highway on an off ramp. It was a sharp curve and I was cruising, but comfortable. Halfway through the vsc kicked in and started pulling me off the road. Same feeling as loss of steering as you described. Luckily I was close enough to the inside corner that I was able to get around the rest of the turn without incident. If I would have been closer to the outside it would have pulled me into loose gravel and then into the road barrier. Not cool. I need recalibrate mine.

I assumed it was vsc. Maybe it's not.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #11
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
VSC just about pulled me off the road the other day. I was getting off the highway on an off ramp. It was a sharp curve and I was cruising, but comfortable. Halfway through the vsc kicked in and started pulling me off the road. Same feeling as loss of steering as you described. Luckily I was close enough to the inside corner that I was able to get around the rest of the turn without incident. If I would have been closer to the outside it would have pulled me into loose gravel and then into the road barrier. Not cool. I need recalibrate mine.

I assumed it was vsc. Maybe it's not.

Did you hear a beeping and feel an ABS -like brake pedal pulsation ?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #12
Reaper
09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough
09 Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 01-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #13
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Did you hear a beeping and feel an ABS -like brake pedal pulsation ?
Well, Toyota stopped using the beeping to alert the vsc is kicking in. Im guessing 2012+. My 2011 would beep, but my current 2013 doesnt. I could kinda hear the abs sound, but my foot wasn't on the brake so I didn't feel the typical pulsating in the pedal.

The front right tire felt like it was braking as I went into the left turn. The truck pulled really hard to the right even as I tried to slightly compensate for it. It had me quite worried for a few seconds.

To be clear the steering wheel didn't pull to the right, just the truck itself.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, Toyota stopped using the beeping to alert the vsc is kicking in. Im guessing 2012+. My 2011 would beep, but my current 2013 doesnt. I could kinda hear the abs sound, but my foot wasn't on the brake so I didn't feel the typical pulsating in the pedal.

The front right tire felt like it was braking as I went into the left turn. The truck pulled really hard to the right even as I tried to slightly compensate for it. It had me quite worried for a few seconds.

To be clear the steering wheel didn't pull to the right, just the truck itself.

Interesting about the beep

I know the feeling you describe all too well
Old 01-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #15
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Another reason I love my 05! Flip the switch and shut off the ABS and drift it around, lock up the brakes, whatever I want. No electronic nannies to spoil anything. I admit I know next to nothing about current Toyota stability control systems (besides knowing I don't want them) but it's possible you're actually having wheel slip and don't realize it.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GT 79FJ40 View Post
Another reason I love my 05! Flip the switch and shut off the ABS and drift it around, lock up the brakes, whatever I want. No electronic nannies to spoil anything. I admit I know next to nothing about current Toyota stability control systems (besides knowing I don't want them) but it's possible you're actually having wheel slip and don't realize it.
I know 100% in my case it isn't wheel slip. You can physically feel the truck get pulled in the opposite direction.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GT 79FJ40 View Post

Bypassing ABS also kills all the VSC and Traction Control in the newer trucks
Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know 100% in my case it isn't wheel slip. You can physically feel the truck get pulled in the opposite direction.

Same here
Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Bypassing ABS also kills all the VSC and Traction Control in the newer trucks
Interesting. So if I put an abs kill switch it will also turn off vsc and trac?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting. So if I put an abs kill switch it will also turn off vsc and trac?

Yes