1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf Pack or Air Bags

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GreatCanadian, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:38 AM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    Cradles are only for lifted trucks, so as to make maximum use of the lift when on full droop. If all you plan on is adding bags to an otherwise stock truck, you don't need cradles. If you plan on lifting, and want to maximize rear suspension travel, then you need cradles.
    From what it sounds like, you don't need cradles.

2. Jan 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    The cradles keep you from damaging the bags when you flex too far. If the bags have much pressure in them (I think the suggested max is 20psi for unweighting) and you flex, or put the truck on a mechanics lift, they can be damaged. On stock suspension I have flexed mine way off the cradles many times. without the weight of the axle pulling on the bag, you can comfortably run much higher psi and flex all you want.

3. Jan 27, 2015 at 8:06 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
  4. Jan 28, 2015 at 11:20 AM
    GreatCanadian

GreatCanadian [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    So where is a good dealer online in Canada (or on TacomaWorld) to buy these things - either leafpack, airbags, or Timbren bumpstops? Can't find much online in Canada, but I'm sure you folks know more than me about this stuff.

GC

5. Jan 28, 2015 at 1:10 PM
    darkfader

darkfader Will this fit without rubbing?

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB6MTFTMFW
    Not sure about Canada, but the cheapest price I have found on the airbags, other than buying used, is sd truck springs dot com. I'm unable to post the link and I don't know if they offer free shipping to Canada or not.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  6. Jan 28, 2015 at 1:14 PM
    gordi

gordi Only had a wheel fall off once

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB trd sport
    Fox 2.5 extended travel, dakars, rear 5125 255/80/17 cooper maxx ST
  7. Jan 28, 2015 at 1:19 PM
    darkfader

darkfader Will this fit without rubbing?

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB6MTFTMFW
    Yea sorry, I edited above, but take a look at sd truck springs dot com. 319$ shipped in the states, not sure about Canada though.

8. Apr 27, 2015 at 2:31 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    neverstuck - How are the bumps holding up?

9. Apr 27, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    neverstuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Have you seen my update on that thread? Post #63
    No sign of wear or tear on them. My only complaint right now is the shocks aren't dampening as they should over bumps. They feel more jittery than they should but still much better than expected and I can't blame the Timbrens for the shocks being weak.

10. Apr 27, 2015 at 9:04 AM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    I need some help with AAL selection. I put a Leer XQ on the truck 6 months ago. The rears springs have finally settled down. With the bed empty and 1/2 a tank the truck sits level and it's stays off the bump stops. A full tank, 4 people and a couple of hundred pounds is a different story. I also put on a set of Hankook LTs which amplify the issue.

I want to put on AALs for the time being. I'm thrifty(cheap) and don't use credit cards for upgrades. I bought the truck in 7/14, put the shell on 11/14 and tires 2/15, so discretionary spending is thin now. I'm at 36K on the truck now and want to put off suspension upgrades until next spring. So my question is what AAL should I be looking at to get level at load? Timbrens a better option? I don't really want to go with bags.

11. Apr 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    neverstuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    Timbrens will not be garbage when you get a proper suspension upgrade so that's a plus but they aren't intended to level you off to compensate for a full tank of gas. Your leafs really suck that bad?

Have you had the tsb 4th leaf installed? Do that first.

12. Apr 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    :popcorn:

13. Apr 27, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    DanceswithWolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    No TSB for me, '13 DCSB OR. Not too worried about the bro lean, just the frequency of hitting the bumpstops. I plan on going OME coils up front with Dakars in the rear next year. Undecided about shocks. I don't want helwig helpers since I wouldn't be using them after upgrades. bags, dunno. I think I'll go with Timbrens since I can still use them after upgrades.

Do the Sport 4 leafs offer better load capacity? If so, I should keep my eyes open for a used set popping up for sale.

14. Apr 27, 2015 at 12:14 PM
    DanceswithWolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    Yeah. Dakars . Doing research on Timbrens now. My goal is to push upgrades out 1 year and do what I need for now. Next year is full suspension build out, front bumper and PrinSu rack. 1-2 years is spacers and Hankook Dynapro LT285/70/16 ( I love my LT265/7-/16).

My truck will be sorta Beavis/OZ-T, ewwww

15. Apr 27, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    DanceswithWolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    Timbrens in the rear for now. twin short women with flat heads( no jokes) if they need help.

Old School likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top