1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will acorn aftermarket lug nuts work on the OEM spare

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KeithB, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    KeithB

KeithB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    I've had aftermarket wheels for years and have never needed to use the spare tire but I started thinking, if I ever do, the factory wheels on the TRD model had different lug nuts. The ones I have now are the acorn style. Not sure if they will work on the factory OEM steel spare. I'll pick up the correct nuts it turns out the acorn nuts on my aftermarket wheels won't work. I want to have them available before I get a flat.

I married my tacoma likes this.
  2. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:35 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    The spare should be a steel wheel. The aftermarket lugs should work just fine. At least they do on mine.

3. Jan 27, 2015 at 9:07 AM
    KeithB

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Thanks. I guess I should drop the spare and check for myself anyway.

4. Jan 27, 2015 at 1:14 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    I've been wondering this myself. I have on my list of things to get next time I'm out, as 6 lug nuts for steel wheel, for the spare.

Wouldn't the steel wheel (spare) require the tapered end lug nuts, and the alloy wheels use the flat washer style? Seems like a small investment to have 6 correct lug nuts available if you get a flat.

5. Jan 27, 2015 at 4:21 PM
    KeithB

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    The OEM alloys use the flat washer style and the aftermarket alloys use the acorn style (at least mine do). I would think that the steel OEM spare should use the same style nuts as the OEM alloys. Otherwise, you'd have a brand new truck from the dealer with lug nuts that don't fit the spare. This is why I ask the question.

6. Jan 27, 2015 at 4:30 PM
    cmbondo

cmbondo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement DCSB TRD Offroad
    FOX 2.5 DSC and some other stuff too.
    I have asked this same question before without a solid answer. I wonder if all Tacomas come with the same spare wheel regardless of wheels on the truck? If so than the spare should work with both acorn taper style lug nuts that steel wheels use and the washer design of the alloy wheels????
    Regardless, I picked up up a set of 6 of the factory alloy lugs that came with my truck and keep them under the back seat just in case my aftermarket wheel lug nuts don't fit right.

7. Jan 27, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I have aftermarket wheels that use different lug nuts than the factory. I carry an extra 6 oem lug nuts under the rear seat in case I need to throw the spare on.

8. Jan 28, 2015 at 6:27 AM
    KeithB

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:

This is what I plan to do if my current lug nuts won't work with the spare. I will drop the spare and check this weekend and then report back.

9. Jan 29, 2015 at 11:58 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!

The OEM Flat Washer type Lug Nuts used on factory Toyota alloy wheels actually have a taper built into the end of them so they will work with your spare tire's steel wheel. You can use acorn type nuts on the steel spare, just not on factory alloy wheels.

10. Jan 30, 2015 at 8:40 AM
    KeithB

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Acorn style nuts will not work on factory alloys.

11. Apr 6, 2015 at 7:19 AM
    Scottyrocco16vdub

Scottyrocco16vdub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Latham, NY

So I'm going to run a set of FJ 17" steelies on my '14 trd, I won't have to buy new lugs??

12. Apr 6, 2015 at 11:42 AM
    Scottyrocco16vdub

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Latham, NY
  13. Apr 6, 2015 at 12:23 PM
    Scottyrocco16vdub

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Latham, NY
    Where did you purchase them from?

14. Apr 6, 2015 at 12:26 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Short answer is No.

I just bought 2 aftermarket wheels as spares so I didnt need to carry extra oem lugs.

15. May 12, 2015 at 1:01 PM
    KeithB

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    So I finally dropped the spare and checked. Acorn lugs DO NOT fit the OEM steel spare. Will have to stop and pick up ones that will. Anyone know which aftermarket lugs will work? Would rather not spend what I assume is a lot on OEM lugs.

lo2hi likes this.
  16. May 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    all spares are the same steel wheel and designed to use the OEM lugs

going aftermarket you need to keep 6 OEM lugs with you to use the spare safely

17. May 12, 2015 at 1:16 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Just buy a $50 spare aftermarket wheel and call it a day.

18. May 12, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    06trdtaco

06trdtaco shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium

Products Discussed in

To Top