1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this what you call "axle wrap?"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PropJet, May 3, 2009.

1. May 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    goldheartminer

goldheartminer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RK
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    Step rails, 265 Revos, tonneau
    My 09 DC SR5 with 34k miles just started the infamous clunking when the weather got warmer a couple months ago. Didn't notice during the cold winter at all. Had dealer look into it during oil change this week. Even before i handed over the keys, the guy tells me this is a "normal" and known issue in Tacomas and FJs. But of course he'd have his guys check it out. Keep in mind, THIS IS A CERTIFIED PREOWNED TOY. THE ORIGINAL FACTORY WARRANTY IS STILL VALID AS IS THE FULL MAINTENANCE PLAN I ALSO PURCHASED. Right off the bat I'm thinking he's already greasing me to accept what will later on be the denial of any Toyota responsibility or warranty work.

Sure enough, when i returned for the truck the service guy told me they checked it out and basically "it's just the way it is." In our brief conversation, in which I told him I wasn't satisfied with his explanation/refusal to deal with the issue, he denied that this problem is due to a worn or faulty component and that it wont cause exessive wear or future problems with other drive line components. What's more interesting and suspect to me is the explanation I later read on the invoice where either he or the tech wrote that this "clunk" was likely being caused by my 265 tire size. The service guy NEVER even mentioned my tires during his earlier poor explanation of the problem.

The truck certainly didnt roll off the lot clunking when new. Obviously something is worn, loose, or otherwise NOT normal.

Am I crazy in thinking this should be covered by the warranty or the maintenance plan??? I am planning to have it checked at another local Toyota dealer who has a good rep for good customer service. My personal mechanic's hunch was slip joint right from the start. And he was suggesting the problem could happen due to forgetting to regularly lube it.

Question: should this be covered under warranty/maintenance plan? Note: the maintenance plan spells out precisely all the components it does NOT cover and slip joint as well the rest of the driveline components are not listed.

2. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    Pete838

Pete838 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Ocala, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Double Cab 4x2
    Bilstein 5100 shocks, Toytec Eibach coil springs, Toytec AAL, Chrome 4" step bars, Pioneer AVIC X910 stereo, Polk speakers, Leather seats
    '08 Taco Prerunner 5' quad cab. First time I felt it I thought I had been rear-ended, but there wasn't anyone back there. It's definitely a harder thunk if I brake harder, hit a speed bump, or stop fast. It's a minor annoyance on an otherwise great truck.

3. Sep 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Grease your slip yoke. It is not supposed to be serviceable but it is possible to do so without buying a whole new driveshaft assembly.

Search my previous post on the matter.

There are multiple theories on this, besides big bucks for a torque arm setup which most do not wheel hard enough to need, greasing the slip yoke and correcting your driveline angles are the only cures.

Just1n likes this.
  4. Sep 28, 2012 at 3:56 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    How do you adjust the rear brakes?

5. Sep 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    goldheartminer

goldheartminer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RK
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    Step rails, 265 Revos, tonneau
    The problem is definitely annoying. But the worst part is the occasional hesitation I experience when shifting into drive from reverse. It's particularly bad when, say, I do a 3-point turn around and the wheel is turned fairly hard. After reversing, when I shift into drive and hit the gas to move forward, it can take a full second or more before the drive shaft engages. Bad news when a car is coming. Dangerous, to say the least. And it sucks doubly because I traded in my brand new '10 extended cab for the '09 quad (the '10 wouldn't fit the car seat), and the dealer won't make it right despite the fact I purchased the maintenance plan and in addition to it being a certified pre-owned rig. And those bastards new about this. Of that I'm convinced.

6. Oct 15, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    About greasing the slip yoke, y'all are talking about manual transmission models right? I understand the automatics have AT fluid lubricating the output splines/slip yoke interface and cannot/should not be greased. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've felt some clunking lately when stopping, stopped or starting out. It's not real bad but I've got 80k and am getting ready to schedule some driveline inspections and lube-maintenance work (u-joints, etc).

7. Oct 16, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    If it is a 4wd there is a slip yoke behind the transfer case, sealed with a rubber bellows.

Check that your spare tire isn't loose and moving around too, all you guys.

8. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    My access cab 2wd has a carrier bearing, so the slip yoke is located at the carrier bearing, between the driveshaft and the shorter shaft (which goes into the rear of the transmission). So for purposes of this slip yoke on my rig, I now realize there's no AT fluid in there, just grease. This will make the disassembly / lube / reassembly process less messy, if not downright easier. Yeah sometimes I can be a derp but this is the first time I've messed with any driveshaft that isn't a single piece from the axle to the tranny. Glad I can do this myself, with confidence.

9. Nov 8, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    Brian_d

Brian_d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    Newb here; what is aal?

10. Nov 8, 2020 at 3:09 PM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    Add A Leaf... For the rear leaf springs.

11. Nov 8, 2020 at 3:12 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Sweet. An 8 year thread revival.

69 Jim and 4x4spiegel like this.
  12. Nov 8, 2020 at 3:15 PM
    4x4spiegel

4x4spiegel Well-Known Member

Member:
    refreshing thread

Matic[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Nov 8, 2020 at 3:21 PM
    Brian_d

Brian_d Well-Known Member

Member: