Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Noticing a little tranny slippage on my 2014 with SC...

Old 01-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
North222 is on a distinguished road
North222's Tacoma Gallery
Noticing a little tranny slippage on my 2014 with SC...

I think I'm sensing some slippage when I mash the pedal from a dead stop between 1st. and 2nd. It's a bit hard to say for sure because it is subtle. I also haven't been doing it much because I don't purposefully want to cause any damage. I've seen a couple of different threads about this, and I'm aware of IPT and their valve body kits, but I don't want to void my warranty this early in the game. I've also seen recommendations for Lube Gard, which looks interesting but I'm not sure how well it would perform on a new tranny. Any other suggestions? I read an article that said that there were electronic transmission tuners available but I'm not aware of any except Bully Dog, etc, and I'm not interested in that crap. I'm also wondering if it may be a simple break-in issue that may resolve itself over time. Curious to hear what others have experienced.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
SpaceTimeRipples is on a distinguished road
SpaceTimeRipples's Tacoma Gallery
Man, there's a ton of innuendo in this post. As for your tranny, don't mash the pedal. You're treating her too rough.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
your fine. Valve body upgrades were pretty much only done for torque converter lockup shudder on earlier models.... later models are fine as this has been fixed from toyota AFAIK.

the auto trans just simply slides through gears... it does not shift super firm.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Try posting in the performance section.

I'd say if ur not gunna do the vb upgrade then atlleast get a drain and fill regularly. I do every 30k.

Don't add any crap into the fluid tho...... That's usually snake oil
Old 01-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
On a side note..... How in the world are u sensing slippage when mashing the pedal from a stop?

I spin past 60 when I do that
Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
On a side note..... How in the world are u sensing slippage when mashing the pedal from a stop?

haha right, my buddies sc'd taco will spin 285 LT duratracs without much effort

I guess rolling into it in the first part of 1st to be at WOT without spinning at the 1st to 2nd shift is easily possible though. Again i doubt its truly slipping. and if it is, you should have warranty on it.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #7

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
0-60 run: http://youtu.be/uvB3HtyI4vA
Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post

Mine will barely break the tires loose from a dead stop, and if it does it is very brief. I don't have any other mods except for the SC. Another factor is that I'm located just above 5000 feet in elevation, which would account for some power loss, although hard to quantify in tire burning. The slippage I'm describing is in the form of a shudder.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #9
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it too. It's like a lazy shift into 2nd.

http://youtu.be/KcrP7IB9-WU
Old 01-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
Mine does it too. It's like a lazy shift into 2nd.

http://youtu.be/KcrP7IB9-WU

You have the shudder too? Have you concluded it's the TC?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by North222 View Post
You have the shudder too? Have you concluded it's the TC?
My truck doesn't shutter but it takes its time going into 2nd at full throttle. I did experience the shutter once but I didn't have the SC then and I changed throttle position just before a shift.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #12
I'm also wondering if I have the best or most appropriate re-flash. I wonder how a person would know that? Trip to the dealer, I suppose.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
It wasn't a rock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North222 View Post
I'm also wondering if I have the best or most appropriate re-flash. I wonder how a person would know that? Trip to the dealer, I suppose.
I went in and checked because I'm having low power issues. They simply plugged in their laptop and they can tell you what calibration was loaded.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
I went in and checked because I'm having low power issues. They simply plugged in their laptop and they can tell you what calibration was loaded.

Yeah, that might be the first place to start. It wouldn't be bad to document the issue as well. I do hate going to the dealer though.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
your fine. Valve body upgrades were pretty much only done for torque converter lockup shudder on earlier models.... later models are fine as this has been fixed from toyota AFAIK.

the auto trans just simply slides through gears... it does not shift super firm.

Really? I wasn't aware of any changes. It makes sense though. Especially if Toyota is willing to install superchargers and warranty them along with the rest of the drive-train.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #16
It wasn't a rock...

A valvebody upgrade is in my future.