Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bak Flip vs Extang tri fold

Old 05-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Marksf123 is on a distinguished road
Marksf123's Tacoma Gallery
Bak Flip vs Extang tri fold

Ok - I think I am going with one of the above. Both seem to be about the same price. Any pros or cons over one vs the other?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigotacoma07 View Post
I have the bak flip on mine it sucks. i would get the extang.
Which version? I have the G2 and I think it's great. The first gen Bakflips were really bad for quality. It might be more helpful if you stated why it sucks.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I like that the Bakflip folds up against the cab giving access to nearly the whole bed (except for about 6" near the cab).

Closed
Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Marksf123 is on a distinguished road
Marksf123's Tacoma Gallery
I have to admit that I like the way the bacflip opens all the way. I would be interested in hearing why it sucks. Also any comment on the extang?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
GregT is on a distinguished road
GregT's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a Bak Flip for about 2 years, and it is OK at best. It already has a crack in the short 4" panel that is nearest the cab. Also, and I had mine installed at the factory in North Hollywood, it does not lock down properly at the tail gate (need to really slam it down hard). On the plus side, I do like how it looks and, the fold up feature is nice. Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Mainland Newfie
mainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud of
mainland_newfie's Tacoma Gallery
don't forget about the g4 elite fold a cover, I have one on order have it in a couple weeks.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
cmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Craig
cmfranks's Tacoma Gallery
I have the BakFlip G2 and it seems to be holding up pretty nice. I read alot of reviews (good and bad) on this model. I installed mine by myself in less than 30 minutes and havnt had any issues so far (been 2 months). Yet it isnt water tight, I only have a very small amount of water in the bed after car washes or heavy rains and I havnt even installed the water drain tubes.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
gus54 is a jewel in the roughgus54 is a jewel in the roughgus54 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Gus
gus54's Tacoma Gallery
We had the Bak Flip installed on our double cab short bed and it leaked so bad (all 4 corners and dripped and above the wheel wells) we took it back and got the Undercover lid instead. I liked the way the Bak flip looked and folded but getting our camping gear soaked was not a good thing. I called Bak Flip and spoke to the owner who was not very nice about it and blamed the installer. Could be I guess. Plus we would have had to get a lock for the tailgate. The Undercover locks itself and secures the tailgate.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
Faskev is just really niceFaskev is just really niceFaskev is just really niceFaskev is just really nice
Faskev's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Bakflip HD which is the aluminum version of the Bakflip G2 (composite plastic). I have had no problems with the cover and it is very close to being water tight. I do have the Heavy Duty version of the cover so that may be a reason for having better results. I like how the panels flip up against the cab (there is rubber tubing that contacts the cab to prevent any damage) and give you full access to the box without having to remove it. Whoever was having issues with the panels not closing tight enough against the tailgate, you just have to loosen the rail bolts and push down the rails more firmly to the edge of the box then tighten them back up. The cover is obviously not going to be as secure or durable as a solid tonneau cover but it's way more convenient than having to get a buddy over to help you to put on and take off your cover every time you want to haul something taller than the height of the box sides.