1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer smashed into a curb. What do I need to check

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mooker82, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Jan 31, 2015 at 3:41 PM
    mooker82

mooker82 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I brought my Tacoma into the dealer today to have the oil changed since this is my last free one. I am walking around the lot looking at new trucks and all of a sudden I see my Tacoma flying around the parking lot and whipping around to the side of the service center where it comes to a very abrupt violent stop.

I walk around to the back where the service center is and see my truck parked with its front tire smashed into the curb. The tire is compressed to where the rim is almost touching the lip of the curb. I have never seen these tires (275 E load range BFG ATs) flexed that much when aired down for wheeling much less at full pressure.The suspension is pushed back to where the front tire is almost rubbing the inner fender and the wheel also has a weird angle from top to bottom (this doesn't really show up in the pictures very well).

Since it was left parked like that I figured the service adviser was going to find me and tell me this happened. Why else would anyone leave the truck parked like this? I snap some pictures and waited. I see them pull the truck into the service department and finally back around to the service lanes. The service adviser comes and gets me. No mention is made about hitting the curb. So I pay without saying anything (no need to be a complete jerk if nothing is messed up) and take it for a quick drive and the truck is pulling hard and the wheel is crooked. I'm having to keep the steering wheel cut to 10 o'clock to keep the truck straight.

I bring the truck back and tell the service adviser the alignment is off and that the person pulling it around back knocked the hell out of the curb. I showed him the pictures and he offers a free alignment. I take them up on the offer and they fix the alignment which was way off on the side that hit the curb. Unfortunately the sidewall on my tire is still completely scuffed up and now that side has a slight vibe on the interstate (hopefully needs to only be balanced). I'm kind of worried about any other damage since it hit the curb with the wheel cut going pretty fast. I plan to go back Monday and see if they will pay to have the tires road force balanced or balance them for free. I also plan to make them inspect the front end on that side for any suspension damage. Anything I should be worried about?

curb1.jpg
    curb2.jpg
    curb3.jpg
    curb4.jpg

2. Jan 31, 2015 at 3:47 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    You sir are the worlds calmest man. I would of lost my mind the second I saw my truck being driven aggressively. I think you should talk to the 'service advisors' boss. If anything is messed up with the suspension, its on them. Have it documented.

3. Jan 31, 2015 at 3:58 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    X100

4. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:03 PM
    gasgasman

gasgasman Well-Known Member

Member:
    It is very possible that the tire is damaged internally.
    The side wall can become delaminated when pinched like that.

5. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Wow. I don't know how you are calm about that. I would have been irate. I would get a meeting with the service advisor, service manager, and general manager. Calmly discuss what happened including what you saw being done with your truck, and what is happening now.
    I would want a complete inspection of every component on the suspension/steering/brakes to be done by their master tech. There is a good chance of damage to the sidewall of the tire, I would want that tire replaced due to possibility of blowout at highway speeds (safety issue). They should be responsible for any cost incurred to get your truck to pre-incedent condition. And for the hassle, I would say 5 free premium oil changes.

6. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
  7. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If it needed to be aligned some thing most likely is bent.

8. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    taco 2011

taco 2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
    Wow. I don't know how you are calm about that. I would have been irate.
    x2!

9. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Seriously, do this.

10. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    taco 2011

taco 2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
  11. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:18 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    that x 1000

very likely

I would have confronted immediately. And irately. And if you have an option to use another dealership, I absolutely would. (period)

12. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:23 PM
    Toyotaguy

Toyotaguy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Sockmonkey decals - cold air intake - tanneau - window vent - bug shield - seat covers - yellow fogs - fog anytime mod
    I agree, completely unacceptable and dealer management should be notified.

13. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:28 PM
    SilverJack

SilverJack no one

Member:
    X1000, you sir should be running the United Nations. I would have lost my mud and the guy driving my truck would still be in ICU. Kudos for keeping your cool, but it may have been better to not let them move the vehicle until the service manager (and possibly the general manager) saw what was going on. I know the service department is a busy place, but there is no reason to drive a customer's vehicle like you just did your first hit of acid. "Respect the car, respect the man", words I like to live by.

I would ask for a test drive by the service manager, followed by a comprehensive diagnostic to make sure everything is aligned and undamaged. Have them document everything and get them to admit that their staff caused the problems. It may just be a quick fix, but it's better to be safe then sorry. You don't want to pay a bunch of money later because some idiot drove your truck into a curb.

14. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:33 PM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    Why did you leave without even mentioning it to the service adviser?

15. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:41 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    I think I found your problem.

im scared to leave my truck with any dealer, read too many horror threads like this one. hope it works out in the end for you op.

16. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :eek: take it back and speak with the service adviser and manager and show them the pics and tell them about the vibe and request they replace the tire (or both fronts) or you'll speak with the BBB.

17. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:49 PM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
    This is why I do everything that I am capable of doing on my own. I have not used a single free oil change, and I will not.

I swear to you, I'd have lost my fucking mind. The service advisor, manager, general manager and owner all would have had to have their ears exorcised after I finished my profanity-laced tirade.

18. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm a calm man but I would have blown my stack under those circumstances.

They need to make it right - probably another alignment, wheel balance - there needs to be no vibration at all - and there is no way I'd leave the premises without a new tire.

19. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:52 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Bummer...you should have biatched from the beginning, if nothing else, taken it for a spin with the service manager BEFORE you left....

Shiza like this can't be ignored...

X2 on something being bent, more than likely a lower control arm, or, worse yet, some caving on the frame where the lower A-frame arms attach....

You need to do some more follow up on this, all they did was 'get you out' the front door...

20. Jan 31, 2015 at 4:59 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Time for a new tire, evaluation for bent tire rod or control arm and the dealer should do it all, smile, plus detail your truck

Products Discussed in

To Top