LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Wins Truck Challenge

Old 10-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
tsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of light

tsilliker's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to tsilliker
Toyota Wins Truck Challenge

Tundra won the 2008 Canadian Truck Challenge. Tacoma also won in the midsize category!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/071019-1.htm

Last year, the Tacoma won overall top spot:

http://www.canadiantruckkingchallenge.ca/2007winner.htm

Go Taco!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if toyota had a 3/4, it'd have won that too!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the Canadians know a good truck when they see it... Thanks for posting those articles and making my trucks head just a little bigger
Old 10-29-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Woohoo! Good news!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a quick and easy answer to what these 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton designations mean? I seem to recall the Tacoma has a payload capacity of around 1500 lbs. That is 3/4 of a ton. I'd expect the Tundra to have more, but it's classified as 1/2 in that article.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
tacoma's are in the general 1/4 i do believe...i think they go by the supported bed weight and i think the tacoma is listed as 800lbs...so not quite a half ton. i'm not 100% on that, but i think thats how it goes.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
"Supported bed weight" is a new term to me. Is that listed in the owners manual somewhere? I don't have it handy.

I took a few minutes to do some googling with less than satisfactory results. Nothing worth pointing at. They discuss the heavier duty suspension, brakes, rear end ratio, etc. Yeah, I know there are differences. It's those specific fractional tons I'm curious about. It seems that what we have now is just set by historical precedent. Back in the day (when? I dunno. '50's?) the payload capacity was a helpful way to distinguishing the trucks. Now, with better engineering it seems that all trucks in any specific category can in fact carry a heavier payload than their category name.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
WildcaTaco is on a distinguished road
WildcaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
may not have found out what the 1/2 ton thing is all about but did find out something interesting. The 4x2 5-speed Regular Cab Prerunner has the greatest payload capacity of all Tacoma's on the market, the prerunners can actually in every category carry more.

For more information go to the toyota site, click tacomas, then get the general e-brochure
Old 10-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
Unapologetic Texan

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
That makes sense. I haven't done the math, but I think the payload is the difference between the maximum curb weight and the gross vehicle weight. So, you gain payload either by making a lighter vehicle, or one with a better max curb weight. The prerunner suspension should improve maximum curb weight. The regular cab and manual tranny would reduce the vehicle weight.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt think you could get the pre-runner in a single cab? Also, i believe that the supported bed weight is over 800 after the TSB. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #11
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
How am I supposed to discredit those Canucks now?!?