1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How big of a bath will I take selling my '14?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chuck Wagon, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Feb 2, 2015 at 2:04 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    The taco's were designed for lots of mileage. I put 20,000 miles on my 2014 in my first year of ownership. Now I'm 15 months in and have 24,000 miles on it. Heck when I was looking at used trucks the ones with 100k miles were only 6-8k less than what one would cost new so I decided to buy a new one.

YMMV.

2. Feb 2, 2015 at 2:47 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    You would've been flamed less by just asking if the CarMax offer of $32k was worth selling and left off the job the Dodge and job info. I would take the offer and good luck with your business.

3. Feb 2, 2015 at 3:46 AM
    Tommiet

Tommiet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charlotte Area
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    $3,500 loss would buy a lot of gas... How long do you think a "beater" will hold up @ 80 miles a day? How long would any Dodge hold up @ 80 miles a day?

$3,500 loss on sale + $3,000 for the beater.... OUCH!!!!!!!!

Best of luck with your choice....

4. Feb 2, 2015 at 3:57 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I don't understand 21 on the hwy to work at 60 to 75. Maybe it is Ca gas.

5. Feb 2, 2015 at 4:45 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    X2

Don't know where to start?? I'll just start and end with... Sorry about the business. Almost never works with partners.

6. Feb 2, 2015 at 4:54 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I didn't say I wasn't making a comment. Just that it wasn't worth a comment. :eek:

I knew there was more to the story.

Good luck in your business OP! And good luck on the Dodge; you will need it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  7. Feb 2, 2015 at 5:05 AM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    Best of luck on your new venture!!

And if things go well, buy the next truck thru the business. Not sure about now, but a couple years ago, the tax laws made it almost cheaper to buy new than used for a business truck.

30k hurts a little, but with CarMax, you can just grab the check and go.
    Your time is worth $x.xx an hour and do you want to deal with phone calls and tire kickers.

I agree with going for the Dodge.
    Why trash a 30+ personal asset in a business venture?
    Also you'd have had to change your auto insurance to reflect using the truck for business or risk getting screwed in an accident.
    Lot cheaper to insure a beater.
    Not sure what business you are starting, but work trucks get used hard and trashed up.

Even if you try to be careful, when you are loading up at the end of a 16-hr+ day with your aching feet, burning knees, and screaming back, you just want to throw the shit in the truck and go home.

And the 8th time of the day you have to walk across a muddy site and hop into the truck, you ain't taking off the coveralls or removing your boots or wiping your shoes, or anything else. You just get in and drive it.

I promise the first time you or your partner or your helper damage the Dodge on a job backing into something, or scratching the paint, or bust a windshield, or rip the seat with the screwdriver in your pocket, you'll smile :D knowing you didn't just damage your personally owned 30+k 2014 nearly new truck.

8. Feb 2, 2015 at 5:14 AM
    Texas50

Texas50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Brazoria County-Texas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport.
    OME 885's,Light Racing UCA's,Bilstein 5100's all the way around, Deaver AAL. Cooper 265/70/17

X2 - that is an amazing offer.

9. Feb 2, 2015 at 5:43 AM
    toomanytoys84

toomanytoys84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    Take the 30,000 and run. You bought a new vehicle and sold it only lost 4k. Basically lost sales tax. That is a pretty darn good deal!

Run to CarMax before they change their minds.

10. Feb 2, 2015 at 7:21 AM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    Look at it like a rental.
    Figure you drove it for ~150 days at $30 a day.
    ~180 days = $25 daily.
    Good rate even with a discount.

11. Feb 3, 2015 at 10:52 AM
    Uranium235

Uranium235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Synthetic blinker fluid, upgraded floor mats, custom passenger.
    x10. I wouldn't pay $30k for that truck when I can pick up a new one for around $32k. Take the Carmax money. And quick.

12. Feb 3, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    I've always wondered what kind of mindset and rationale a person has to own/drive a Dodge.

Guess I know now.

Jabs aside, a '14 Tacoma not only does everything you need it to do (including towing), but it also carries peace of mind that you won't get with the Ram. Seems like the last thing I would want when starting a new business is an old unreliable vehicle.

13. Feb 3, 2015 at 11:23 AM
    skisailbike

skisailbike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado/Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 DCSB OffRoad
    Icon 2.5 ET coilovers, LR UCAs, Dakars, Icon 2.0 RR ET Rear Shocks
    Sell the Tacoma. In business, CASH IS KING. After you make a bunch of money, lease the vehicle you want and keep your cash. Don't tie up cash in a depreciating asset. Don't take a loan and pay interest on the entire vehicle cost, unless you plan to drive it until it dies. Lease, lease, lease.

14. Feb 3, 2015 at 8:13 PM
    Chuck Wagon

Chuck Wagon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road, Double Cab
    Thanks for all the positive contributions and suggestions. I got plenty of chuckles over the "Dodge" comments lol. Trust me I'm not a Dodge guy personally, but this is what I could afford to buy with cash right now, where Toyota's & Nissan's were way out of my budget, and Chevy's, GMC's and Fords were still too high priced to take a gamble on used and with miles.

For the price I paid for this Ram, and the general price they can be had for on the market, you could almost throw it away and buy another if something catastrophic happens mechanically. But so far from what I've seen, and with a few minor repairs I've done with it over the last two months, EVERYTHING on this truck can be repaired by myself, and parts are DIRT cheap for this thing at Rockauto.

Anyway, yes my '14 Tacoma TRD is awesome and in many ways my dream truck. But I purchased it a little too loaded out, and probably before thinking about future priorities. I can afford it, but in hind sight I don't want to, if that makes sense. Would rather put $30K invested back into our business and drive beaters until otherwise doable with no regrets.

One question, for all the nay say'ers, regarding the $30 or $32K is too high. I thought one of the main reasons to get the full TRD OR package was the insane re-sale value? Everyone here says, if you want the best re-sale you need to get the TRD OR versions, and with 4x4.

Some people here also say, that they have sold their Tacoma and made money, or barely lost any. So what is a near new, '14 Tacoma, DCSB, TRD OR worth in mint shape with 5700 miles? The dude at CarMax told me they would give me $30K and will likely be selling the truck for $35-$36k LOL which is more than what I actually paid for it. He also said they can pay more for nice vehicles, as they have the benefit of shipping the vehicle to the hottest market in the nation within their company to maximize profits .vs normal dealers.

So I'm thinking this would be a deal for someone that want's a fully optioned OR, since very few are actually optioned this way on the lot new.
    But I'm really happy to get $30K at the minimum, just wanted to see if it would be worth attempting to sale on my own first.

15. Feb 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    There isn't a single model configuration worth stacks over another just because. But TW being largely an off-road forum, of course you'll be told the TRD Offroad 4x4 is the best and most valuable to resale.

Try selling it on here and see what happens, bet you won't see $30k in a month.

16. Feb 3, 2015 at 8:59 PM
    MightyYota

MightyYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Texas Edition 4x4
    ARE CX Camper
    Engine wise - the only thing to keep an eye on in the 318 / 5.2 (known as the LA family in the Mopar world) is the timing chain - they were bad about stretching at around 100k. The rest of the motor is rock solid - the trans, meh. It'll get the job done until it doesn't - life's a gamble, and there isn't any reward without some level of risk.

Invest in the business, work hard, reap the rewards, and then grab another Tacoma when the time is right! Who know, with the Gen 3's coming out, the 2nd Gens may not hold their value anymore ....

:crapstorm:

Had to throw that out there - I've been spending too much time in the 3rd Gen forums LOL

17. Feb 3, 2015 at 9:30 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    And once again. . . Jimmyh nails it.

18. Feb 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM
    Robotoco

Robotoco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roberto
    NC
    keep the new tacoma, highway miles wont hurt it!

19. Feb 3, 2015 at 10:20 PM
    Chuck Wagon

Chuck Wagon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road, Double Cab
    Good advise, and thanks again. Your right I need to get this done before the first 3rd gen hits the showroom floor. And yes I've heard the 318 V8 in the old Rams were near bomb-proof, it's the trans and front-end gear (Steering & Ball joints) that are garbage. As long as I can churn an extra 60-70K miles out of it, I will be happy. So far it's running good, and returning nearly the same highway mileage I was getting with my Tacoma, although the in-town is much worse with the Ram at nearly 10-11ish.

Products Discussed in

To Top