Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch sticks when cold

Old 02-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
CamoNBlaze is on a distinguished road
Name: Zach
CamoNBlaze's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch sticks when cold

So when cold starting (15 and below Fahrenheit) my 6 speed v6 clutch will be hard to push in and will stick to the floor for a moment before returning with a snap after I remove my foot. Is this normal? Dealer says so. My truck is under cpo warranty still so I want everything fixed before the warranty is up.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
Bump...
After 3 trips it still is not fixed.

Trip 1: master cylinder replaced

Trip 2: took back reluctantly after being shown a video. Said was functioning normally.

Trip 3: finally agreed to replace clutch and casing/push plate under warranty. This did not solve the problem either.

Here is a video that shows the clutch sticking... What gives?

http://youtu.be/Emza5362-yo
Old 02-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
kpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kurtis
kpla51's Tacoma Gallery
my 5 spd did this at those temps. Try working out the clutch before driving. Mine was also brand new so it wasn't from faulty equipment. From research it seems to be a normal thing.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
Hmmm I've never had it on other vehicles (Ford Ranger, Honda Accord, VA Jetta)... This seems like a design flaw if it's normal. If they sell the trucks in the North East, you'd think they'd be able to run from a cold start now and then (although I usually do let it warm up for 15 min).
Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
SHOKER
manethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant future
Name: John
manethon's Tacoma Gallery
mine is always stiff for about 1-2 min till it heats up but never STUck to the bottom,
If it sticks and all the sudden pops out thats a massive hazard, id venture to say its unsafe and id say i don't care fix it change it do something
Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
Does that have the v6?
tacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
tacobell007's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacobell007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPRO4X4 View Post
Anyone know freezing point of clutch fluid?
It's brake fluid so it all depends on how much moisture the brake fluid has absorbed.

Mine does it for clutching in a few times and the brakes don't work as well is those temps til the trucks warms up a little bit. To be expected that the viscosity of the brake fluid is thicker on cold starts just like any of the oils in the drivetrain
Old 02-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
I haven't noticed it with the brakes... Is it really the same reservoir?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
kpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkpla51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kurtis
kpla51's Tacoma Gallery
Never happened on my jeep but would on my tacoma so maybe design flaw? It wouldn't stick to the bottom but would come out super slow.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
TXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobell007;98602.87
It's brake fluid so it all depends on how much moisture the brake fluid has absorbed.

Mine does it for clutching in a few times and the brakes don't work as well is those temps til the trucks warms up a little bit. To be expected that the viscosity of the brake fluid is thicker on cold starts just like any of the oils in the drivetrain
I know, but some do not
Old 02-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #11
Hmmm this seems far too common. Is the master cylinder composite or something prone to excessive shrink in the cold?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #12
TXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoNBlaze View Post
No
Old 02-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
Does that have the v6?
tacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
tacobell007's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacobell007
Quote:
I think it's the same reservoir. I also have ceramic pads with drilled and slotted rotors so they don't work as well til they get warm
Old 02-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
rcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcsb jon's Tacoma Gallery
Probably also due to the cmc being a plastic casing.

Just had my cmc replaced due to the 2005-2014 tsb for the creaking noise, they replaced it with a metal cased unit
Old 02-13-2015, 04:44 AM   #16
They just replaced that for me as well but it still sticks when cold. Maybe it's just a bizarre quirk :^/
Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #17
rcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcsb jon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
They just replaced that for me as well but it still sticks when cold. Maybe it's just a bizarre quirk :^/
I'll let you know today, truck will be outside all day in 0-15* weather
Old 02-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #18
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: Canadain bumber technician
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
I have some information that may help .
Check out this link . There are a couple TSB,s within this link for clutch issues .Maybe if you do enough research , something will stand out similar to the issue you are experiencing .
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...-write-up.html
Old 02-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #19

IMO...it's due to the brake fluid viscosity in low temps... makes it thick.

Mine hasn't actually stayed at the floor, ever. I have felt it return more slowly. BUT, once you're driving for a little while, all is well and good
Old 02-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsb jon View Post
IMO...it's due to the brake fluid viscosity in low temps... makes it thick.

Mine hasn't actually stayed at the floor, ever. I have felt it return more slowly. BUT, once you're driving for a little while, all is well and good
I just asked them about swapping it for a low temp fluid but they said that wouldn't be it otherwise they'd see the problem all the time. They're going to try to replace the slave cylinder now.