1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will this combination work

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by shadetreeshop, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Feb 27, 2015 at 6:55 AM
    shadetreeshop

shadetreeshop [OP] Member

Member:
  2. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:11 AM
    shadetreeshop

Member:
    Boom, ^ that's what I'm after then. I save him about $100 over the OME kit and gain the ability to adjust the height if need be. That'll leave a little wiggle room if I need to buy the carrier bearing drops and axle shim/wedges if need be.

I'll be sure to post the results!

3. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:26 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It's .85 and the Eibachs are a stiffer coil than the 884/5/7

4. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    If you are looking for a very smooth ride you will probably want to avoid preloading coils. I've been researching lift options and I think I will be going with the 5100's all around paired with OME 885x coils. This way I won't need to put any preload on the springs and will still accomplish around 2.5" lift.

For the back I'm surprised nobody has brought up the 3 pack progressive AAL. They have been well reviewed for both the Wheelers and Icon brand. I bring these up since you mentioned you are looking for a near stock ride and these will accomplish just that vs a traditional AAL which will be a stiffer ride.

Those are my thoughts, although there are plenty of bright minds chiming in here and lots of good options being suggested.

5. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:26 AM
    shadetreeshop

Member:
    Pump the brakes, the Eibach's have a spring rate of 620#/in while OME has a rate of 580#/in. Throw in the fact that I'll have to preload them, that's going to make for a considerably stiff ride, correct?

I checked out the Headstrong Offroad site that you mentioned and it looks like I can get 4 Bilstien 5100 shocks, OME coils, and the AAL for the back all for $580, which is cheaper still! Knowing what I know now (which continues to change almost hourly lol), this seems to be route to go. This is what you're running, correct?

6. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:27 AM
    shadetreeshop

Member:
    Wow, I typed my response and then forgot to push submit before getting up from my computer. Looks like we're all on the same page!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  7. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Although I couldn't comment on how stiff, you are right that the combination of a higher spring rate and preloading them will no doubt provide a stiffer ride. You could go 5100's with OME 885 coils or you could do OME shocks with the 885 coils and both should be a better ride quality. Only reason I will be going with the 5100s is they are notably cheaper and lots of people have been happy with that set up.

As far as the rear leafs might be something to consider going with the progressive AAL. I was going to go with the single AAL at first but after looking into it further have seen some people say it is a stiffer ride whereas the progressive AAL's seem to be getting very good reviews.... slightly stiffer than stock but much more comparable to stock riding than the single AAL. It is a bit more but not by too much really, especially if going with the Wheelers brand which I think is right around $150. I only bring all this up as my lift criteria is very comparable to what you are looking to accomplish.

8. Mar 15, 2015 at 9:27 AM
    shadetreeshop

Member:
    Well we installed everything yesterday and it was a good time. We spent a little over two hours installing the first coil and strut on the passenger side; had to figure out how it all came apart. However, once I learned all the tricks, we had the drivers side changed out in less than thirty minutes. Another hour and a half for the rear. Then we had to drive into town to get new lug nuts since the rims he selected wouldn't accommodate the stock nuts.

He was extremely happy with the both the looks, and the ride. He said he could tell it was a little stiffer, but still felt great. We only had to remove the front mud flaps from the front wheel wells. The tires barely kiss the rear mudflaps when turning, but neither one of us believed it to be a big enough deal to mess with, plus we were running low on beer. No vibrations were noticed either. Final combination was the Headstrong lift kit with OME 885 springs and Billstien 5100 shocks, American Racing ATX Crawl Wheels in 17", and 285/70-R17 Firestone Destination AT tires, though we did get them in the P version instead of the LT so I believe that minutely helped out with smoothing out the ride.

I really appreciate all the help this forum has provided for me. Not only was I able to save him about $700 from what I started out with, I learned a lot in the process and was able to go into this with a lot of confidence even though I haven't messed with Toyota's before. Thanks again and enjoy the before and after pics!

2rqc09d_54c9d88793b53c9bc482d5eb628e43eb781d149d.jpg

2np2le_38505784b7cf798cd5b31c66338e6c5f746f4fac.jpg

EDIT: Alignment was completed yesterday and all is back within spec! No upper control arms needed. Still no vibrations either so no wedges or spaces required as well! Thanks again.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top