1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another kind of winter vibration!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by iroh, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Feb 6, 2015 at 5:35 AM
    iroh

iroh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    This happened to me twice last winter (the second time tore up the driveshaft center bearing) and again yesterday.

What's that horrible shaking? Oh yeah, how about ice about 3/4" thick where it don't belong!

[​IMG]

It happens on days that start cold (it was 5F yesterday morning) and then snows a little bit after I get to work (and inch or two stays on the cab roof); then in the afternoon the sun comes out and the temp climbs into the mid 20s. Snow melts off the roof, down the back window, between the cab and bed, drips onto the driveshaft and refreezes!

This time as soon as I got to 30 mph leaving work I knew EXACTLY what happened so it didn't have time to destroy anything.

So folks, if you feel some not-so-good vibes in the afternoon, check your driveshaft before you get too far.

So Toyota, are you going to put a drip shield to divert the water from the driveshaft? If not, that's ok. I have a heat shield from a Civic's catalytic converter I'll be rigging up into my next Tacoma if I have to.

2. Feb 6, 2015 at 6:36 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    Looks like a new drip shield mod in the making.

Think I may have experienced this a few times myself from leaving snow/ice crusted between the gap in our bed and the back of the cab, and then parking in the sun at work.

Products Discussed in

To Top