1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP: ECM fired...per dealership

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomacrazy, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Feb 7, 2015 at 1:37 PM
    tacomacrazy

tacomacrazy [OP] ExPo Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Coral Gables, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Offroad
    HIDs 10k & 3k, AFE Intake, LEDs Red Map & dome, Pioneer 4300 Walker Evan 2.5 coilover 2.0 rear with all pro expo leaf pack. SnugTop Campershell Famous Fab rear bumper/ tire carrier. Dual Battery System Upgrade 250a Alternator
    Tw I want to knw what I'm looking at here, after going out to the dirt. I learned that my 4wd is not engaging. Looked up on here and thought it was my actuator. Know I don't have the time and place to fix it. I went to the dealership for a quote. After 4 hrs of "inspection" they came back with the ECM was fired. It was not communicating with the transfer case. But it only had power? If I am intrperting correctly. I asked about the reset I was reading up on here and said there's no connection to even try that probably meaning communication or power?

So after looking up the parts and looking for the worse looks like a $600 addition. And I asked if that was the problem with the 4wd and they said they couldn't know forsure since the ECM is fired...

Desperate for info

-bryant

2. Feb 7, 2015 at 1:50 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Look in the b/s/t section, there may be a truck being parted out that may have your options.

3. Feb 7, 2015 at 2:02 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    i freaking doubt the 4wd ecu is bad.... the dealership is probably wrong in their diagnosis.

Jack all 4 tires up off the ground, and have someone in the truck start it and engage 4wd. Look underneath (without going under the truck) to see if the front driveshaft from the transfer case to the front diff spins, but the front tires do not. If so. then its very likely its the front diff actuator.

4. Feb 7, 2015 at 5:24 PM
    PSU Taco85

PSU Taco85 Señor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    optional
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR mostly stock
    Plasti dipped hootus
    It is extremely unlikely that the 4wd computer is bad, 99.9999% of the 4wd issues I have seen with these trucks are the junk 4x4 actuators. The remaining .00000001% is the 4wd switch itself or a blown fuse. I have a working ECU I would sell much cheaper than 600 if you want though.

5. Feb 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    tacomacrazy

tacomacrazy [OP] ExPo Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Coral Gables, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Offroad
    HIDs 10k & 3k, AFE Intake, LEDs Red Map & dome, Pioneer 4300 Walker Evan 2.5 coilover 2.0 rear with all pro expo leaf pack. SnugTop Campershell Famous Fab rear bumper/ tire carrier. Dual Battery System Upgrade 250a Alternator
    thanks!:D

no where to do it or the tools for that:( college dorm/apartments all i have is the hilift jack for the trails. but i did see them do that at the dealer and i did not see the front tires move..

if i can pull the actuator off while to truck is on the ground like most of the members here have done, i think will be my best bet.

thanks everyone for the input so, i got the final results and its the 4wd computer, quoted 470$ for everything went online and found it for 250ish just parts.

so ill lose the 90$ fee for toyota and try to pull out the front actuator and hopefully just have to solder the prongs..

6. Feb 8, 2015 at 8:51 AM
    devil1

devil1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    Pro comp alloys, trail digger m/ts, icon 2.5 remote resies all the way, OME Dakar leaf packs, OBA. Lots of LEDs
    This sucks. If you need help let me know, you have my number.

Products Discussed in

To Top