1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ToyotaCare worth using?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2015WhiteOR, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Feb 11, 2015 at 1:56 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    Ok I read all three pages the majority of people don't trust the dealership or just anyone in general I understand that. My question is I have done 2 oil changes on my truck I use Royal Purple 10W 40 as I have heavy applications on my truck like a supercharger and such but the only reason I do my own oil changes is on my 2013 Toyota Tacoma they said my oil changes were until the 30,000 oil change and it was in my contract prepaid as oil changes and tire rotations. Once I went beyond that I have to pay but I have Toyota care so wasn't I still in warranty for the first two years of my truck ownership regardless of prepaid anything? Also If I was still in warranty what else does Toyota care actually offer and itsnt there toyo guard for seat stains and stuff cause I use my back seat on occasion ;)

2. Feb 11, 2015 at 3:06 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I used all mine. No problems at all.

3. Feb 11, 2015 at 3:51 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    have not heard of Toyo Guard. In Texas we have Vehicle Shield and covers seats and paint for like 3 years. It is a distributor add on for close to $400. Hard to find a vehicle without it here. I told dealers on my last Tacoma that I would not pay. They found one without it which is rare around here. You know you have it when you get a bottle of wax.

4. Feb 11, 2015 at 4:40 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    Yes its the same thing it came with all the tacomas in Florida its covered paint and seats and interior. The good news it I used it a couple of times after getting scratch's on my truck :D
    Still doesn't answer my question on what exactly is on Toyota care and whether I am covered for oil changes or not.

5. Feb 11, 2015 at 4:53 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I have always been one to do it myself for lack of trust in dealers. And i have no reason to feel that way, just always did them myself.

That being said, its been cold as hell here in mass over the last two months, and when my first 5000 mile change came up, it wasnt hard to stop in for an hour on a saturday morning and sit in the warm waiting room, for free. A couple things i did, based on some stories read here. Marked my filter to make sure it was changed, put dots on the inner part of my rims to make sure tires were rotated correctly, and checked the dipstick before leaving the parking lot. Just makes me feel better

6. Feb 11, 2015 at 6:14 AM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    That's been my experience as well.

7. Feb 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM
    fizik

fizik Accidental Offroader

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB SR5, '10 DCSB TRD OffRoad (deceased)
    There are three types of dino oils (Groups I, II, & III), and they vary in production method and properties (Group IV and V are true synthetic motor oils). Group III has the highest VI of the three and requires the least amount of additives to achieve and maintain required viscosity. In the 1990s, Chevron started marketing an oil formulation as "full synthetic" based on a Group III base oil. Mobil sued Chevron over the use of the term "synthetic" claiming false marketing. In 1999, the courts determined that "synthetic" was a marketing term and referred to performance characteristics rather than the means of production. Since then, you see a lot of "synthetic" oil out there based on Group III base oil. If you want to know enough about oil to make your head spin, look here: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Personally, I have my oil changes and tire rotations done at my local dealer. They actually are pretty competent and if something gets screwed up, there is no finger pointing. But on my bike, I do most of my own maintenance (I use Rotella T6, a group IV synthetic)

8. Feb 11, 2015 at 11:34 AM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I used my Toyota Care for the first 2 appointments and then I switched to Mobil 1 in my engine. Since it's cheaper for me to change my own oil (the dealer wanted $70 for full synthetic and I can buy a case of Mobile 1 for ~$50 + $7 for the Toyota filter) and I know how to rotate tires/fill up the other fluids I stopped using the Toyota Care.

9. Feb 11, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    rcsb jon

rcsb jon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '17 Ridgeline RTL-T | AWD | White | Ebony
    -WeatherTech liners
    Dealers aren't worth the hassle for general maintenance. Absolutely not worth. I've experienced too much nonsense or seen it go on...

Additionally they manipulate and trap uneducated customers into unnecessary items.
    -$40 wiper blades during an inspection
    -$20 cabin filter recommended
    -$20 reverse light and install

I just had a CMC and clutch pedal TSB done under warranty... brake fluid on carpet/dead pedal, dirt/grease in interior, brake fluid in engine bay and on paint surfaces in there... common courtesy to use shop towels, cleaner, and a vacuum would go a long way. That's not even including the fact the cmc rod wasn't adjusted to spec, as stated in the TSB document.

If you don't want to do your own maintenance, find a nice local, private owned garage and build a relationship with them. They'll take pride in their work (generally) and have respect for you so you come back again and again.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  10. Feb 11, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    $20 cabin filter? My dealer wants $30 / ea for cabin and engine. I told them not to bother me when I took mine in under Toyota care.

11. Feb 11, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    My dealer told me that his brother-in-law is a Toyota Engineer, and advised me not to use synthetic oil in my 2012 4.0. But I looked at the chart on their desk, and it was OK for certain years, but not others.

Really?... common!

12. Feb 12, 2015 at 8:02 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    I wonder if you are thinking about the 0W-20 synthetic issue that has some people confused?

Lots of people here use synthetic in their 4.0 Tacoma engines, at least that's what I've read on this forum.

13. Feb 12, 2015 at 8:53 AM
    TRDMountaineer

TRDMountaineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ripley, WV
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD Sport MGM 6-spd S/C
    TRD S/C, aFe Stage-2 Intake, Magnaflow 15315, Leer 100XQ w/ Tracker II Rack, General AT2 265/70R17, OEM skid, TRD FJ caps, Wet Okole Realtree seat covers, TRD grey shift knob, Weathertech floorliners, Weathertech window visors, Salex glove box+console organizers, Grid-It console lid mod, Lamin-X amber fogs, Craven Speed A-pillar phone mount, Debadged
    Bought my '15 4.0 here in WV. 5,000 service consisted of conventional oil change, top off fluids, rotate and adjust tire pressure. My .02 would be: use it while it's free, as long as everything seems professional and semi-trustworthy.

After the plan expires though, I'll be doing it all myself.

Products Discussed in

To Top