1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad ride quality?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ok4me2xlr8, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM
    ok4me2xlr8

ok4me2xlr8 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport
    I am having some ride quality issues with my Tacoma and could think of no place better than here for suggestions. So I have a 2013 double cab 4x4 with a toytec bilstein 3" lift and 33" nitto trail grapplers. I have noticed that since the install of all this that the truck is hell to drive, the truck wants to go with any kind of dip in the road. I thought it was just me but a friend of mine has the same truck with a ome lift and different tires and his drives totally different. I had the tires balanced and had it aligned at a place that messes with nothing but trucks so I am hoping this is not the issue. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and better yet does anyone know how to fix it?

2. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:28 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    If your alignment's ok, are your 33's 285's?

I have found that 285's really get pulled around the road getting sucked into depressed tire travel lanes. Throw on a set of 265's if you have access to a set and see it that fixes it.

3. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    ok4me2xlr8

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport
    I have searched high and low for the documentation for the alignment and guess it got thrown away. Do you know what the specs should be for this setup?

4. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:33 PM
    ok4me2xlr8

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport
    285's I dont have any 265's to try. Are the 285's normally that bad though?

5. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I drove my in-laws FJ with 285's and hated it. Father-in-law also hated them so much he traded them off for some 265's.

6. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:37 PM
    MKW

MKW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Murrells Inlet, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 RC 4x4
    OME 3" lift MK6 wheels 285 Fierce MTs & 4.88s!!
    Do you have aftermarket UCAs?? I would guess that you do not have enough positive caster. With 3" of lift, aftermarket UCAs are a must if you want it to drive good.

7. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:39 PM
    ok4me2xlr8

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport
    Who make a good set?

8. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    ok4me2xlr8

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport
    If it drives like mine I know the feeling.

9. Feb 8, 2015 at 6:47 PM
    MKW

MKW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Murrells Inlet, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 RC 4x4
    OME 3" lift MK6 wheels 285 Fierce MTs & 4.88s!!
    There are lots of good ones, but I chose Light Racing UCAs from Headstrong Offroad because they were pretty cheap and accomplished what I wanted. I have 3.0 of caster and the truck does not wander all over the road, I really don't think 285s drive badly as a rule.

10. Feb 8, 2015 at 7:12 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    The UCAs are your issue, not the 285s. Light Racing makes the lowest price high quality adjustable UCA (according to my research). They're $400, but you've got to pay to play. You'll love your truck again after you have them on. Did you do your Brake lines too?

Murrells Inlet makes me think of delicious seafood...

11. Feb 8, 2015 at 7:22 PM
    ok4me2xlr8

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport
    No I didn't do the brake lines did not see any issues. Also are the SPC uca's the same as the light racing?

12. Feb 8, 2015 at 7:31 PM
    DaVikes

DaVikes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Colorado Sports Car
    Arb front bumper, warn winch, All Pro rear bumper, OME up front, OME and All Pro Standard in Back, ARB locker, 34 x 10.5 KO2's, 17" Level 8 Trackers, and fancy single piece driveshaft.
    If the lift in front is adjustable, try taking it down to 2.0" to see if that helps. If it does, and you want to stay at 3", UCA's are the way to go. Or you could try slowly working it higher to see if you can figure out at what height things get intolerable. I have OME springs/shocks in front, so I'm at 2.5". I've also got 285's, and I've got no issues. A lot of people think 2.5" is the upper limit with stock UCA's.

13. Feb 8, 2015 at 7:47 PM
    ok4me2xlr8

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport
    Well from the way it sounds the uca's are the issue. I actually would like it to sit a little higher in the front so that the truck is level. If I remember correctly the bilstein kit came at the middle setting so with uca's and going to the higher setting I should be where I want.

14. Feb 8, 2015 at 8:06 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I didn't read what springs you have. If they're not stock Tacoma springs, don't raise your struts to a higher setting without consulting the manufacturer.

I asked about brake lines because at 3" you are one good flex (pothole, etc...) from possibly destroying a brake line and losing all braking.

Might as well get the ECGS bushing in while you've got everything apart, 'cause that needle bearing is gonna go too.

Products Discussed in

To Top