1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharged Tacoma vs Tundra Towing MPG?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bren5279, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Feb 9, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    bren5279

bren5279 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tacoma TRD Long Travel Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger Dirt King 14" Long Travel Kit Pro Comp 6" lift Fox dual rate 2.5" remote res front coil carriers Fox triple bypass 2.5" remote res front shocks Fox 12" 2.5" Remote Res. Shocks DSC adjusters (flutter shim stacks) ARB Lockers F+R 4.88 Regear F+R Shackle flip kit Bamf tall shock mount Demello Offroad Front Bumper Smittybilt Winchs F+R Method beadlock 17x9 Rims 37" Open country R/T tires Baja fiberglass Front Fenders Baja Fiberglass Rear Fenders Bulletproof Fab Front Grill Air Intake Reroute High Lift Jack Pro Comp Skid Plate KB Voodo Short Bed Rack CVT Cascadia Rooftop Tent
    Hi all,
    I plan on picking up either a 4x4 tacoma 4.0 or a tundra 4.6 in the near future (to use as DD too) and am trying to decide between the two. I reeeeaally dont want to go with the tundra because I really dont want to drive a full size pickup as a DD, but I have a 4500lb boat that I will be towing on occasion (those occasions can be several hour drives though).

Ive done a LOT of searching and have found the gas mileages to be about:
    Tacoma 4x4 4.0 v6 Double Cab ~16-17 city, ~18-20 highway, ~9-10 Towing
    Tundra 4x4 4.6 v8 Double Cab ~15-16 city, ~17-18 highway, ~11-14 Towing

So I was wondering, in order to add more power so the taco wouldnt have to work as hard, would the supercharger increase towing mpg?
    Can anyone with a supercharged taco vouch for what mpg they see towing?
    Thanks!

2. Feb 9, 2015 at 9:34 AM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Everyone wishes superchargers would add MPG. LOL

3. Feb 9, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    this.

we scored an all time low in my buddies 4.0L tx pro supercharged truck. 4.8mpg towing his toy hauler to cal city it was rather impressive to see the gas gauge move that quick.

BassAckwards likes this.
  4. Feb 9, 2015 at 9:38 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    10 mpg on the highway, 4k lb trailer. Both s/c and N/a

5. Feb 9, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    I don't think 4500#'s is enough to warrant worrying about the need for more power. These trucks can handle towing 4500#'s ok especially in regards to power, the thing I'd upgrade for towing would be the rear suspension (bags or better leafs). For the number of times your going to tow a year the loss in gas mileage wouldn't be worth it to me, if all your doing it for is the towing aspect. Now if your supercharging for the fun of it that's a different story:D.

6. Feb 9, 2015 at 10:23 AM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    I haven't towed with mine. But my MPG is awesome with the supercharger compared to other NA Tacoma's. I do make an effort to drive it with fuel efficiency in mind..coast to stops..etc. Click on the fuelly link in my sig.

7. Feb 9, 2015 at 10:30 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I get about 18 mpg without a trailer and 9 mpg with the trailer behind me. My trailer has a lot more surface area for wind resistance than your boat will. I am supercharged. The S/C allows you to pass with the trailer without feeling like you are going to die and get up hills without feeling like you're towing with a Honda Civic. That's it.

If you are worried about towing you are always better off with a larger truck. That being said I'm not a fan of the 4.6 L V8 or the Tundra. Statistically, it's a poor truck based solely on power, economics, and towing when compared to the competition. It does have that Toyota badge going for it though which should help reduce the cost of ownership and keep it out of the shop.

8. Feb 9, 2015 at 10:59 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    Are you against the 5.7 at all? I would be more worried about what the most economical daily driver options is with the potential to tow. That vs. getting a vehicle only to tow but using it as a DD.

9. Feb 9, 2015 at 11:21 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Since you are seeking MPG on average my opinion is for around 5000 to 6000 dollars extra for the SC and you said "I will be towing on occasion," just go with the Tacoma 4.0 stock with tow package since this is a daily driver.
    Also in my opinion if you go with the automatic, and can find one, get a shift kit for the transmission. Toyota transmissions shift too soft for me and for a few hundred bucks installed it will extend the life of your transmission. ;)
    Here is an article on the Toyota transmissions. If you went this route the costs are higher, but I am of the mind that you would be much happier in the long run than with a SC.
    http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyota_valve_body_modifications.shtml

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  10. Feb 9, 2015 at 1:06 PM
    bvanderberg

bvanderberg Member

Member:
    Astoria
    Vehicle:
    S/CTacoma
    S/C,Cat Back,Vinyl Mask, Snug Top Canopy, Nerf Bars, Tinted windows, Billet Grill
    Have been towing a 2500b Jayco with a 2012 4L V6. Gas mileage is a solid 11mpg. Sometimes more and sometimes less due to terrain.

11. Feb 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM
    bvanderberg

bvanderberg Member

Member:
    Astoria
    Vehicle:
    S/CTacoma
    S/C,Cat Back,Vinyl Mask, Snug Top Canopy, Nerf Bars, Tinted windows, Billet Grill
    One other thing is to think about getting some 10ply tires.

12. Feb 9, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    3rail

3rail Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Amish Country
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma Sport AC (Inferno Orange)
    TRD wheels and Nitto tires, TRD Pro grille, exhaust, CAI, skid PL & shift knob. OEM Audio Plus 450Q sound system upgrade.
    Here is my real world experience. I used to be a little anal and kept records of this stuff.

Tacoma towing a 5000 pound trailer, I averaged 9.5 MPG.

Tundra towing a 8000 trailer, I also average the same 9.5 MPG.

Go figure.....my Tundra had the 5.7, TRD CAI and TRD true dual exhaust. The Taco was the 4.0 with TRD CAI and TRD exhaust.

I pulled some big hills (mountains to us easterners)with both vehicles and usually cruised no more than 60 MPH.

If I was going to tow on a consistent basis, I would go for the bigger truck. They are much more stable at highway speeds during a crosswind or a rig blows by you and "sucks off your air".

Donald

13. Feb 9, 2015 at 2:00 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    If you check fuelly.com most 4.6L Tundra owners are averaging 14-15 mpg empty, so I think you've overestimated the Tundra's MPG. A supercharged Tacoma would be so much more fun to drive when you're not towing, which is most of the time. Plus a Tacoma is a lot more nimble for off-roading as well as city driving. I vote for the supercharged Tacoma.

14. Feb 9, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    Sledhauler

Sledhauler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    MD
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4X4
    Stock 4.0 6spd pulling enclosed snow machine trailer @ maybe 2500lbs? up hill to trails, 10mpg, down hill home 12mpg. Avg 70mph, long up hill runs didn't drop below 60 always being in 5th. Last hauler was a titan, sure, didn't know the trailer was even there, and got the same or a little better on mpg but the other 360 days it avg 10mpg. Also think about the additional cost of parts and maintance along with the additional cost and taxes. This is why I choose to go with a midsize but if I were to haul more weight then I'd think about full size with cheap dd gas saver.

15. Feb 10, 2015 at 8:56 PM
    bren5279

bren5279 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    new bern NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tacoma TRD Long Travel Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger Dirt King 14" Long Travel Kit Pro Comp 6" lift Fox dual rate 2.5" remote res front coil carriers Fox triple bypass 2.5" remote res front shocks Fox 12" 2.5" Remote Res. Shocks DSC adjusters (flutter shim stacks) ARB Lockers F+R 4.88 Regear F+R Shackle flip kit Bamf tall shock mount Demello Offroad Front Bumper Smittybilt Winchs F+R Method beadlock 17x9 Rims 37" Open country R/T tires Baja fiberglass Front Fenders Baja Fiberglass Rear Fenders Bulletproof Fab Front Grill Air Intake Reroute High Lift Jack Pro Comp Skid Plate KB Voodo Short Bed Rack CVT Cascadia Rooftop Tent
    Lots of great info thanks guys! Yeah after thinking about it more, Im sure the Taco will be able to do it, and since Id only be towing on occasion Its probably better for the DD to get better mpg.
    Taco it is!

Also thinking of it in terms of total cost, spending 5k on a supercharger would pay for the gas difference :p Ill just go slower up hills I guess

16. Feb 22, 2015 at 7:01 AM
    Crazy Tacoma

Crazy Tacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB Stock for now
    I've got a 21ft. travel trailer weighing about 5,000lbs and get roughly 12 to 13mpg's heading up to the mountains, also have a 3" lift and running 33" tires. now when i'm not towing the camper i'm averaging about 17 to 18 on the highway

17. Feb 22, 2015 at 9:11 AM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    I am not supercharged, and I tow frequently. Unless my trailers empty its always heavier than 4500. I get between 9-11 mpg towing and the 6spd does very nice.

My auto was worse on gas towing but better on gas normal driving.

I average about 16 empty with 6spd and closer to 18 with the auto.

Hwy is no competition, long trips the best I got average over more than 500 miles was just over 19 in the 6spd and just over 23 in the auto.

18. Mar 2, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    yotafool

yotafool Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    Vehicle:
    98 Cool Steel 2.7L 4x4
    LC Engineering Header and Cat K&N FIPK
    Doesn't really apply, but thought I'd share anyways. I would get 9-10mpg at 60mph towing 9500 lbs with 5.7 supercharged tundra. :devil: Any faster and... you get the idea.

19. Mar 2, 2015 at 11:28 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    Guess I will be the one to say it.

If you want fuel economy and towing you are are looking at the wrong brand of truck.
    Get a diesel. Then spend what you save in fuel on maintenance cost.

I'd just get what one you like best. Unless you tow a lot it will make no difference.

20. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:55 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    A Diesel for a 4500 lbs boat? No. Just go with a 1/2 ton if anything. I'd use my Tacoma for that weight since I already do and I'm happy with it. IF you feel like you want a better experience towing pretty much any 1/2 ton is going to be able to handle that load without any problems.

A 3/4 ton Diesel is massive overkill for that weight and will drive like shite on road and off compared to a Tacoma or 1/2 ton. Diesels in full sized 3/4 ton trucks get marginally better mileage but cost thousands more to buy off the bat. There isn't much in the way of savings, just a better towing platform for loads that are starting to push 9,000 pounds.

Products Discussed in

To Top