1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

And another 6 spd clutch issue...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by findingthingsout, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Feb 10, 2015 at 10:58 AM
    findingthingsout

findingthingsout [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD O/R A.C. MT
    Boost, armor, lights, big tires, no savings.
    Hey, looking for some advice and a chance to vent.

I picked up a 2008 TRD O/R AC with a 6 spd last spring. Right away discovered the "squeak" and had a local dealer inspect. Discovered the TOB issue and read up on the drama.

Eventually was ready to do the fix, throw in new clutch at same time. Bought the TOB sleeve kit and stage II from URD. Not many options for install in my area so I had the dealer do it, quoted similar to local shop so I figured at least they should know what they are doing.

Picked up the truck and found the clutch engaged much closer to the floor than prior to, figured it was a matter of the previous clutch had 90k. Took it easy for the first few hundred, wanted to break it in like on the WRX clutch I had put in.

About a week later I started to have trouble shifting, mainly upshifting. Even with pedal pressed to the floor. Was out of state a the time so I had a different dealer adjust the pedal free play, charged me 20 and I was on my was. Felt better but not "right." Got home and back to difficult shifts, decided to park it at the dealer and gather info.

As you may expect, the dealer won't stand behind parts they didn't supply. Had them look into it and they said the clutch was only making contact on half the plate? Gadget from URD said to ship him the clutch and they could measure it and diagnose. Gadget even talked to the Toyota tech but said what he described was not physically possible?! I have minimal experience working on transmissions; I have been driving Toyotas mainly for my driving career.

Was stuck in between ordering another clutch from URD and having dealer install factory parts. They would not disassemble without a clutch to swap in. Decided to have dealer use Toyota parts and go ahead. I had them take pics of disassembly. Picked up the truck and immediately could feel a difference in the clutch. Slightly lighter in feel and this time it engages way off the floor. More like my 1997 Taco with over 130K on the clutch.

The service writer said that they had measured the clutch pedal after installing the URD clutch and found it with in spec. So they did not need to adjust. The service manager said they do not adjust the clutch pedal during service?

So now I have payed for 2 clutch jobs when all I wanted to do was stop the stupid squeak! Gonna ship the clutch to URD for assessment.

Is it possible that the lack of them adjusting the clutch caused the disk to warp, thus making it difficult to put in gear? Any suggestions?

This has warped the Tacoma love I have developed over the last 12 Years. I was planning on lift, tires, armor and maybe a supercharger but probably not now.

2. Feb 10, 2015 at 2:03 PM
    high voltage taco

high voltage taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 speed 4x4
    so far, URD throwout bearing kit(sleeve), weathertechs, 285/70/17's on Ion 17x9 and OME 885s and Dakars and nitro sports. BHLM
    hopefully there was a problem with the urd clutch and they'll refund your money. The only times I've ever had clutch problems with Toyotas was when I went with aftermarket. I have always had good luck going back with Toyota clutches and I've never had to adjust on a Toyota's clutch. I done my own clutch on my 6 speed when I put on the urd sleeve and wished I had someone resurface the flywheel while I was in there because it had a few bluish spots on it. I have since pulled several good loads with it including 11,000 lbs of brick, block, sand and mortar, and it still feels like new, engaging just off the floorboard. Hope you figure it out though. You'll still love Toyota's after you get it straightened out.

3. Feb 10, 2015 at 2:27 PM
    findingthingsout

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the response. I thought I was doing the right thing by planning ahead for future mods and getting a more robust product. Looking at the FSM for the clutch pedal free play there is a delta of less than an inch? The feel is on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum from this clutch install to the URD clutch. Not sure how it was in spec on the previous install?

Then this morning I warmed up the truck before heading out to work and after 10 min it was still blowing cold air?! I cycled the climate controls and was able to get warm air. Never had this happen before, maybe something froze after I went through the truck wash the day before.
    It just hasn't given me the confidence I am accustomed to. Maybe I need to lower my expectations.
    Rant over.

4. Feb 10, 2015 at 2:45 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    First the problem is not with Tacoma or the 6 speed, but URD's product. In the end URD needs to pay you for the costs, labor and parts of the first installation.

To answer your question there is no way for the clutch plate to warp because the clutch is not adjusted properly. At worst it would slip or just grind and not go into gear.

5. Feb 10, 2015 at 5:35 PM
    findingthingsout

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    It was explained to me by Gadget at URD that if the clutch ends up being the problem, only the clutch cost would be refunded due to too many variables with install. "Industry standard." This does not seem fair but what do I know…

I have no proof of blame yet so I'm not going to throw them under the bus. URD has been helpful so far.

6. Feb 11, 2015 at 6:18 AM
    high voltage taco

high voltage taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 speed 4x4
    so far, URD throwout bearing kit(sleeve), weathertechs, 285/70/17's on Ion 17x9 and OME 885s and Dakars and nitro sports. BHLM
    ''It just hasn't given me the confidence I am accustomed to. Maybe I need to lower my expectations.''
    I hear ya on that. My 05 has not been near as trouble free as all my previous Toyota trucks. But it still has the well made feel when driving or offroading compared to other brands.

Products Discussed in

To Top