Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mobil 1 $10 off at Costco-New DIY to oil change

Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
mcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the rough
Name: mike
mcdee's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 $10 off at Costco-New DIY to oil change

Maybe this has been mentioned but Costco currently has $10 off Mobil 1 Motor Oil 6/1 qt. bottles 10W-30, 5W-30, and 5W-20. I am switching over to this, just purchased several Toyota 90915-YZZD3 filters online at $4.33 otd. I have never changed oil on my tacoma and am fairly limited mechanically but after reading Chris's guide and many posts here I plan to start doing my own. I will buy some tubing with 5/16 inside diameter for oil filter drain and also plan to order Fumoto valve tomorrow. I have 2012 Prerunner V6, never off road. Initially was getting the valve with nipple but will probably order the f103 and use large oil pan. After looking under truck it seems like flow from valve should be straight down/clean, anyone with the Fumoto 103 have trouble with oil splattering? Also plan to sand oil dipstick for easier checking. I read awhile ago about engaging e-locker on occasion and now do that monthly. Appreciate all the great information and help here on TW.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
Never had a problem with the fumoto valve splattering. It will only splatter if your catch pan has something in it and that is what its hitting. Takes only a couple seconds with that.

Edit: Is there a coupon somwhere or is it just 10 off?
Old 02-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
mcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the rough
Name: mike
mcdee's Tacoma Gallery
I live in NorCal and we received a coupon book from Costco which says Instant Savings $10 off, valid 1/29/15-2/22/15, limit is 3. I did not need/have coupon, it automatically came off at time of purchase. My price ended up being $27.99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ski4life7 View Post
Never had a problem with the fumoto valve splattering. It will only splatter if your catch pan has something in it and that is what its hitting. Takes only a couple seconds with that.

Edit: Is there a coupon somwhere or is it just 10 off?
Old 02-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
toofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoofish2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toofish2's Tacoma Gallery
24.97 this past weekend at Wally world.....
Old 02-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Sigjr is on a distinguished road
Sigjr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofish2 View Post
24.97 this past weekend at Wally world.....
The Costco deal is for 6 quarts, not for a 5 quart jug like wal-mart sells....
Old 02-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #6
Lester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
Lester Lugnut's Tacoma Gallery
The Costco Mobil-1 deal in my area never requires a coupon. Sale price is automatically scanned during checkout. I get a "coupon" book in the mail every month which in most cases is simply advertisement for discount prices on items that look like coupons, but are not.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
Reymundo88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Rey
Reymundo88's Tacoma Gallery
The coupons are automatically taken off at register which is nice especially if you didn't know that it had one. Can't beat that deal at Costco
Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Man I’m glad I’m not addicted to Mobile 1 semi synthetic oil I can buy 10 Qts of quality motor oil for that!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Lester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shedLester Lugnut is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
Lester Lugnut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Man I知 glad I知 not addicted to Mobile 1 semi synthetic oil I can buy 10 Qts of quality motor oil for that!
Yep. My comment above was simply to help people who weren't aware of how it works at Costco.

My 2015 Tacoma PreRunner has a little over 2500 miles on it and I'm going to change oil soon. After the fiasco I've been thru with my wife's '14 4Runner and ToyotaCare, I'll be changing my own oil as I've done on every vehicle I've ever owned.

Think I'm going to stick with conventional 5W-30 since I've put countless miles on cars/trucks using conventional motor oil.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
i always use the tubing... every easy.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #12
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Lugnut View Post
Yep. My comment above was simply to help people who weren't aware of how it works at Costco.

My 2015 Tacoma PreRunner has a little over 2500 miles on it and I'm going to change oil soon. After the fiasco I've been thru with my wife's '14 4Runner and ToyotaCare, I'll be changing my own oil as I've done on every vehicle I've ever owned.

Think I'm going to stick with conventional 5W-30 since I've put countless miles on cars/trucks using conventional motor oil.
^ This. In order for syn oil to be worth the money the oil changes would have to 10,000 miles that's OK. But Toyota says 5,000 oil alone is not the only reason they say this it is a truck they expected it to be used as such. I would put $5 on the table for 98% of the people that never drive their truck over 100K before they sell it I never get rid of a truck or car for that matter unless it has that least 200K on it I have yet to lose and engine using plain oil crappy non syn. oil.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
opteron is on a distinguished road

opteron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^ This. In order for syn oil to be worth the money the oil changes would have to 10,000 miles that's OK. But Toyota says 5,000 oil alone is not the only reason they say this it is a truck they expected it to be used as such. I would put $5 on the table for 98% of the people that never drive their truck over 100K before they sell it I never get rid of a truck or car for that matter unless it has that least 200K on it I have yet to lose and engine using plain oil crappy non syn. oil.
I agree, but I do use valvoline maxlife it's a semi-synthetic hasn't failed me on any of my cars that I have owned.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #14
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my 'schedule' for oil changes, and I started with synthetic when she had 141,000 miles, now at almost 265,000 miles....

Change filter and oil every 7,000 to 8,000 miles, I use WallyWorld synthetic and the genuine Toyota filter....you have to buy an extra quart every other oil change, half with each change to bring it up to the line on dipptydostick...

Total cost, about $29 each change, full syn oil, OEM filter, done...
Old 02-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #15
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Man I知 glad I知 not addicted to Mobile 1 semi synthetic oil I can buy 10 Qts of quality motor oil for that!
You act like there is a $100 price difference. For me, it's about $10 extra for for the same amount of synthetic over conventional. Small price to pay for a better quality product.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #16
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
See here in lays the problem. Is it really better or do you just think it is? Until I see hard facts on how come I can run engines in excess of 250,000 miles on plain old oil I really don't see what I have to gain by spending twice the money to service them.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #17
Unchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Rick
Unchained 5150's Tacoma Gallery
My first oil change is coming up and I want to buy some Mobile 1 synthetic. What grade do I get? Didn't know if I needed something different in the cold weather states.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #18
L J will become famous soon enoughL J will become famous soon enough

L J's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained 5150 View Post
My first oil change is coming up and I want to buy some Mobile 1 synthetic. What grade do I get? Didn't know if I needed something different in the cold weather states.
Check the oil filler cap for correct weight oil and your manual for cold weather information. I would just run the weight specified on the cap. Had a kid at the autozone store trying to convince me to run a heavier weight oil in the winter. Seems like bad advice.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #19
Unchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnchained 5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Rick
Unchained 5150's Tacoma Gallery
So switching to synthetic shouldn't mean change in the oil weight? Thanks and it's 6 quarts? Is there a picture of a certain jug I need to look for?
Old 02-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #20
JoeyDel will become famous soon enough
Name: Joe
JoeyDel's Tacoma Gallery
Costco does this deal every couple of months. I've used this same oil in my '03 since it was new, letting it go to 7-8000 miles between changes and never burned a drop off oil in 179000 miles. I used to use Mobil One filters but switched to OEM a couple years ago.