1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Electrical Issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Houston, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Feb 12, 2015 at 9:19 AM
    Bryan139

Bryan139 I have a spectacular aura

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport
    I cut some wires here. Added some wires there.
    So like 3 people said the battery sucks and 3 said it's awesome. Half awesome isn't good enough for me, I'm a glass half empty guy. That's a notoriously crap battery in my book.

2. Feb 12, 2015 at 11:01 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Automotive batteries do not come back well after being discharged. They are just not made to go through the cycles. I have seen otherwise good batteries not come back after one discharge. Also I would recharge with a battery charger and not the alternator. It is hard on a vehicle alternator to charge a battery. They are designed to maintain.

3. Feb 13, 2015 at 6:53 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Correct. Many believe that an alternator charges a battery. It does not. It maintains an adequate state of charge. The only way you can fully charge a battery is with a battery charger. Car/truck batteries were not designed to have their charge state cycled repeatedly like a deep cycle battery(marine/boat/etc).

4. Feb 14, 2015 at 6:25 AM
    L J

L J Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport DCLB
    I'm almost convinced that the newer trucks are not getting the Panasonic batteries or perhaps Panasonic has changed how they build them. I tried to source a Panasonic replacement but could not find a dealer in the US. Shipping from Japan would be too expensive. Like I said I'm still on the original battery but feel like it's living on borrowed time. I used to get Duralast when they offered free five year replacement. But now it's only three year which has turned out to be just short of how long they last for the two Hondas I have. Since I have a battery that is still working with no obvious sign of failure I'm reading and researching to find a replacement that might come close to the Panasonic's service life. From what I've read the True Starts are not performing very well so they're off the list. Anybody using a brand/type of battery that has consistantly lasted 5 or more years?

5. Feb 14, 2015 at 1:51 PM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Both of my 2011s have OEM 24F batteries made by Johnson Controls rated at 582 CCA. This morning full charged, one measured 604 CCA and the other 624 CCA.

6. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM
    MGtaco2.7

MGtaco2.7 MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB 4X4 SR5 Silver Sky Metallic V6 AT
    I have had an interstate battery in my silverado since 2008 and since I barely drive it it has never failed me 1 time, so I figured once my original tacoma battery shits out ill try an interstate one for that too.

7. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Replaced oem battery after 8 years.

Bought October 2005 replaced December 2013

8. Feb 17, 2015 at 7:07 AM
    Houston

Houston [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB TRD Off-Road
    Sadly I can't remember what type battery I had in there. The guy told me this one was pretty much shot and was surprised that even after driving 45 minutes to build up some charge on the battery that it held a charge and actually started up again.

I wonder if the battery make has something to do with where the truck was assembled? I got mine in Texas and it was a big deal to the sales guy that it was ">50% built and completely assembled" San Antonio. Wonder if other locations get different battery types?

9. Feb 17, 2015 at 7:08 AM
    Houston

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Haha yeah definitely not from the northeast. I am originally from Colorado though and appreciate the tortures of washing the salt off my car in 45 degrees after shoveling off the driving.

10. Feb 22, 2015 at 3:55 AM
    Shadetree

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    When lead-acid batteries are not being charged, they have a natural self-discharge. The rate of self-discharge is based on temperature. Adding the parasitic load of the ECM, alarm systems, etc., the discharge rate is increased, especially in hot climates like Texas. This discharge causes sulfation which is a gradual coating of the plates with lead sulfate. Overtime the lead sulfate crystals harden and they can not be completely converted back into lead when the battery is recharged and causes the battery not to hold a charge. Keeping a healthy battery fully charged prevents sulfation. Electrical load, driving habits, temperature, or time all are major contributors to not being able to keep a battery fully charged and is consistent with premature battery failure from sulfation.

Sulfation is a very common problem with power sport and deep cycle batteries used seasonally or in storage, especially in hot climates.

11. Feb 23, 2015 at 6:21 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Or, unfortunately, the car washers had a 'need' for a newer Toyota battery, and swapped yours out. Seems odd that it would 'suddenly' not start???
    Door open wouldn't discharge a good batt.

12. Feb 23, 2015 at 6:25 AM
    Houston

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that was my thought but it was the only thing I could come up that would explain it, except for a battery swap. Either way got it replaced under warranty now and good to go.

13. Feb 23, 2015 at 2:46 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    Mine did this, I drove to the store went inside came back out not even 5 minutes later and truck was completely dead, wouldn't even crank. Got a jump from someone drove it to the dealership who took it right in ans said the battery was done. Gave me a tru-start under warranty and sent me on my way.

14. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    Shadetree

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    x2

Products Discussed in