1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me diagnose this faint howling noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sixstring, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Feb 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM
    sixstring

sixstring [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCab TRD Sport
    Hi all,

I'm still relatively new to my 2nd hand Tacoma so I'm still finding things that seem odd.

I was driving with the music off the other night and noticed a faint howl that seem to come from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. At first I thought someone had left the window cracked or something but that wasn't the case.

I never noticed this on any of my test drives nor have I noticed it in previous weeks with the radio off... so this is probably something that's just starting out. Here's some observations I've made so far:
    • It consistently comes on around 50km/h (~30 mph) and doesn't appear to go away until I drop below that speed. At higher speeds if its still there, it gets drowned out by the sound of wind and tire roar.
    • The noise doesn't get louder or change pitch as I go faster
    • The noise doesn't get louder or change pitch with engine revs
    • The noise isn't affected by braking
    • The noise is apparent regardless of whether I'm accelerating decelerating
    • My entire cabin is kinda vibey beyond 110km/h (~70mph)
    The previous owner had to replace the passenger side leaf spring because it snapped on him going down the road. It is a brand new unit.

What do we think? Bad wheel bearing(s)? Differential? Anything I can do to check or do some preventative maintenance in this area of the truck?

2. Feb 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM
    Wiggins

Wiggins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Sport Hood, ICON 3" Lift - 700lb coils, Total Chaos UCAs 5% Tinted Windows Crystal Front Window Film 2.5 resi shocks front and rear, dakar leaf packs Wheelers Bump Stops All-Pro Offroad APEX Front Plate Bumper, PIAA Fog Lights, PIAA Fog Lights, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad Skid Plates, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Rear Plate Bumper, Side Armor for Plate, Hidden Receiver Hitch, Black All-Pro Offroad APEX Sliders,Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Pack Rack, Black Line-X, 16" height ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Hankook Dynapro ATM 285/75/16 Vision Manx 16"x8" rims, 4.5" Backspacing Warn M8000-s Winch, Factor55 Flatlink, Factor55 1" Hawse Fairlead RIGID Industries Ditch Lights Tractor Supply Bed Box 260amp H.O. Alternator Big 3 Cable Replacement NorthStar AGM34 battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage Plefreybilt Fuse Plate BlueSea fuse block Kenwood TS-B2000 Short Wave Radio, Remote face, Pack Rack Mounted Antenna Uniden Bearcat CB Cab Mount Chop (BAMF Inserts) TODO: ARB Air System ARB Rear Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears ARB Front Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears HID Retrofit Headlights Rigid Industries RDS-Series 54" Midnight Edition LED Rigid Industries R2-46 Combo Round Light (x2)
    When was the last time it was aligned? One cause could be that your Toe is off on one of your tires so it drags a bit, causing the howl.

3. Feb 11, 2015 at 11:28 AM
    Houston

Houston Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB TRD Off-Road
    I have the same issue with mine. I notice it more often when it's windy or when I have my road bike on the mount in my bed (it sticks up about 4-6" above to top of the cab).

I always assumed it was just an inadvertent sideaffect of the cab shape or something with the weatherstripping in the door?

4. Feb 14, 2015 at 8:01 AM
    jshazard

jshazard Member

Member:
    Norther California
    Vehicle:
    07 4wd stock
    Wheel bearings

5. Feb 14, 2015 at 8:26 AM
    devkurf

devkurf Member at Large

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    Is it only when its windy? I hear noises with the wind sometimes if its blowing pretty good and I'm headed in the right direction at the right speed. Somtimes from the front windsheild, and if I'm hauling stuff, sometimes from the back. I just shake it off, it doesn't happen very often.

6. Feb 14, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    Eyedoc2020

Eyedoc2020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    DC suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    If it wasn't wind, I would bet it is one of your wheel bearings.

7. Feb 17, 2015 at 7:11 AM
    Houston

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I usually only notice it when its windy. Very rarely if I'm hitting 85+ going down the road I'll hear it if its not windy.

I don't think its wheel bearings. I've had that issue before and this is a different sound. It also sounds like its coming from the upper passenger door frame to me. I never fails either, when someone is sitting over there I never hear the sound so I can't have them see exactly where its coming from.

8. Feb 17, 2015 at 8:36 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Do you have any snow or ice accumulations on the roof, hood, windshield area, bumper or even the front lower control arms? - Any snow or ice on those areas for me this usually results in some low level howling or whistling noise.

9. Feb 17, 2015 at 11:49 AM
    Houston

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    For me no, I'm down is SE Texas. I've noticed it all year round, with and without my bicycle in the back (although it happens more with the bike mounted in the back). I think its just a function of design and something causing the airflow over the truck to whistle a bit.

10. Feb 17, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Try opening a window on the drivers side a couple inches. IF it goes away I'd say it's an air leak. check/Clean/grease the door seals, check for doors not closing tightly, etc.

11. Feb 17, 2015 at 4:43 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Howl like wind or more of a groan/ vibe sound? These days my default guess is needle bearing because I haven't fixed mine yet.

12. Feb 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    LusoSoccr

LusoSoccr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt K
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TxPro DCSB
    Do you have this noise? I made a post about some vibes and I get some of that howling you're saying and some members have said needle bearing also...from the drivers side front tho

13. Feb 17, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
  14. Feb 18, 2015 at 5:52 AM
    Houston

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Not sure about the original guy but for me its more a howl like on a really windy day you're in the house and you can hear it outside. Highly doubt its a bearing issue at this point but I could be wrong.

15. Feb 18, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    Get your truck up to the noise speed on a clear straight empty road then do a hard swerve left then right and repeat. IF the noise comes and goes when you only pull to one side it's probably a bearing.

16. Feb 18, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    braik

braik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 4.0L 4x4 BASE
    2" Ironman 4x4 (B) Front Spacer Level LR UCAs Level 8: Tracker Wheels 255/75 Cooper ATPs Welded Rock Sliders Weathertech floormats Wet Okole seat covers JVC Head Unit Diff Breather Mod Zip Tie Mod Needle Bearing Mod HID Retrofit (Acura TL-R)
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  17. Feb 18, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    Canufixit

Member:
    First Name:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    Also could be that it is blocked preventing the air from escaping and causing a positive pressure in the Cab. Excess pressure then pushes on the window and door seals and leaks out with the air noise.

18. Feb 18, 2015 at 10:14 AM
    2011Streaker

2011Streaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    i have the same noise. been there since new. noticed it in other tacos as well. think its just a harmonic vibe.

19. Feb 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM
    Houston

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    So get her up to ~80-90mph...could throw two jokes out here, one about going back to the future, and the other about hearing a few other noises as the trucks cartwheels sideways haha. ;)

I do get your point though. It is slightly more noticible with a crosswind, which would require more control input to keep in a straight line. If I find a stretch of road I can do this on and I might give it a shot

20. Feb 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Ok, let's take this in s new direction...... And is this after you have eliminated a wheel bearing issue.

Tacomas are known for wind noise caused by hood gaskets, fish a piece of 1/4 od plastic tubing through the rubber gasket between the hood and the radiator support and above the headlights. Both my '13 and my '14 did this. The wind will force the stock rubber gasket down and make it whistle. You could probably blue tape the hood gap in the front to test it

Tacomas from about '08 and up have a TSB regarding howling rearends. This typically starts around 45 - 60 mph especially down hill with your foot off of the pedal. My '14 does this and it's worse with more weight forcing you forward like a trailer.

Some Tacomas are known for windshield whistling, tape up your windshield trim with blue painters tape and go for a ride.

I've head that the roof racks can cause this too. Fortunately for me I don't have one of those butt ugly racks on mine.

I hope this gives you a few new ideas, I'm anal about that kind of stuff.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top