1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

r151

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Vang Toua Moua, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Feb 15, 2015 at 12:08 PM
    Vang Toua Moua

Vang Toua Moua [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vang Bang
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Tacoma 2.7, Access cab, 5 lug
    Custom front bumper and rock sliders, glasspack muffler, shorten exhuast, abs killswitch, roof light bar, rear e locker.
    Hey y'all, I'm really stumped and need help. My tranny crapped out and new replacement won't move. So I'm really considering the r151 from the turbo pickup, lower first gear than even new manual tranny, would this be doable?

I know I would need a new bell, manual ecu, but I'm lost on which flywheel I could use and the master and slave cylinder I should use. Please help me out here, my taco has been out for months and I really miss driving my taco.

2. Feb 15, 2015 at 3:39 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    would also need to address the transfer case, its on the wrong side. And then the shifter.

They are worth about 1300 bucks these days. You can find them cheaper.

I would recommend replacing the auto, and buying a manual Tacoma.

3. Feb 15, 2015 at 3:39 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    What year, and model is you Tacoma?

4. Feb 15, 2015 at 3:41 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    New replacement won't move? Please give us some more details!

5. Feb 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    If you have a 2nd gen, 4cyl
    [​IMG]
    this is the r155f and it is a good trans. Would be much easier.

If you have a 2nd gen v6 you will need a custom bell for the r151. 1st is very close to the ra60f (6spd) and the work to put it in vs the 6spd would be more expensive and extensive.

If you have a 1st gen v6 you will need to modify your bell, and the transfer case. otherwise pretty easy.

If you have a 1st gen 4cyl you will need to buy and modify a a 2tr-fe bellhousing from a 2nd gen 4cyl manual truck, then modify the transfer case.

If your auto, that means you will be adding clutch pedal and the master/slave etc. Plus modifying the floor and console.

2nd gen.. lots of electronics to fool or bypass, I am sure someone could help with that.

6. Feb 15, 2015 at 4:08 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff

if u look under his screenname it says what truck he has. its an 05 access cab with the 2.7l and auto. going to the 5spd out of a 2nd gen would be his best bet. would just need new ECU for manual and clutch pedal assembly and everything associated with master/slave cylinder

7. Feb 15, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah, I can't see that.

OP look for an r155f its your best bet.

IF you are really wanting an r151 you will need much more.

I have had both, and driving them is about the same. the low 1st is nice for a trailer and offroad but its not a deal breaker. To me it would not be worth the hassle over the later trans.

8. Feb 15, 2015 at 6:57 PM
    Vang Toua Moua

Member:
    First Name:
    Vang Bang
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    Custom front bumper and rock sliders, glasspack muffler, shorten exhuast, abs killswitch, roof light bar, rear e locker.
    Oh ok, I only figured it be easier because it was older and less electronics as well. My deal breaker is I found one in a wrecking yard for 300, the one I replaced it with cost 300 as well.

I'm aware it's on the wrong side but I'm doing dual cases anyways. Sounds simple since the repair manual indicates that even the r155 has no wiring to it.

What I don't understand is what's more that is needed?

9. Feb 15, 2015 at 7:00 PM
    Vang Toua Moua

Member:
    First Name:
    Vang Bang
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    I installed the new to me tranny and cranked up my taco and everything spins and sounds like a scratch and ding, but when I shift to drive nothing moves and that was manually shifting by hand underneath. The pan feels cold still even after 10 mins of warming up.

10. Feb 15, 2015 at 9:27 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    How is the fluid level in the new-to-you auto?

11. Feb 16, 2015 at 12:08 AM
    Vang Toua Moua

Member:
    First Name:
    Vang Bang
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    I checked it, it's a little above the second cold mark. I put in two-gallon jugs. 3.87 liter each.

12. Feb 16, 2015 at 1:13 AM
    PSU Taco85

PSU Taco85 Señor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    optional
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR mostly stock
    Plasti dipped hootus
  13. Feb 16, 2015 at 8:28 AM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Hey, yes there is no wiring to either manual trans. Minus the speed pickup, that is mechanical on my r151 and electronic in the Tacoma.

The transfer case is electronically shifted on the r155, and the r151 has a manual shifter.

For 300 bucks an r151 is a steal. Since you are adding a crawler, you can stack it up and get the transfer case output on the correct side at the same time.

SO Yes, that will be easier. You will need
    -clutch pedal assembly from 2005 plus taco (including master)
    -bellhousing from r155f (2005 plus taco) which needs slight mods because the input shaft on the r151 is shorter.
    -slave/clutch fork I am not sure which will work best but should be easy enough to figure out.
    -clutch line should work from the Taco
    -transfer case adapted to what you need
    -driveshaft's made to suit
    -speedometer output swapped
    -floor mods for shifters
    -console mods for floor mods

-enjoy

14. Feb 16, 2015 at 8:33 AM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    There was no r151 with a 3rz?
    3rz had the w series trans. There used to be a custom bellhousing for a r151 to 2rz/3rz but they are no longer in production. Now you can buy a 2tr bellhousing and a little modification will make it work.

there was a r150 with 3vz, a late model r150 would be easy. They are relatively cheap.

You could get a 96 plus r150 from a v6 4runner or v6 Tacoma. It is a 5speed and the input shaft is longer so may work without modifying the 2tr bellhousing. Plus the transfer case is on the correct side stock.

Those trans are just as strong, they are not as low in 1st gear but the swap would be easier. It has an electronic speedo output stock as well so may be adaptable. And they are worth less money than an r151

15. Feb 16, 2015 at 8:36 AM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ^^ I can't look at pirate by the way.

R151 is cooler. Adds headache.

R150 is just as strong, but cheap and easy to find. Eliminates headaches.

16. Feb 16, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    Vang Toua Moua

Member:
    First Name:
    Vang Bang
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:

Thank you very much. Yeah I'm aware of the t case on the wrong side that's why I bought a fj case to mate with the older pickup geared case being used as the crawler. For the Speedo, I'm going with what Wyatt did with the fj case and Speedo gear.

Sounds simple but I still run into quite some problems at times. It's always great to get help.

17. Feb 16, 2015 at 1:12 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd

Gonna guess at broken pump gears or very low on fluid

18. Feb 16, 2015 at 1:39 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Yup that means your going to want the r151.

Sounds like the easiest way to me.

That would be a killer setup r151-2.28 stock case-fj case.

I am not sure if it is easier to mill the bell or run as is with an input shaft spacer. I think personally I would mill the bell. I don't like the idea of a spacer on a spinning part.

Once you get the adapters and get it all going I bet you will love the truck.

I really would like to go back to the 4cyl truck myself from time to time for more mod's vs paying more for the v6 truck over time.

I miss my 2008, but the 2013 fits my current needs better. And now im going double cab :/ so no 4cyl either.

I don't know what my love of the thing is but that truck was special :)

19. Feb 16, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Well for me the mechanics sound simple enough.

I hate the electronics of it.. Never learned enough myself sooooo... its like forbidden territory once the computer gizmos come in to play.

20. Feb 16, 2015 at 1:47 PM
    PSU Taco85

PSU Taco85 Señor Member

Member:
    First Name:
    optional
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR mostly stock
    Plasti dipped hootus
    Sorry I mean swapped it to the 3rz, bad choice of words, I'm aware the R151 only came on turbo pickups behind the 22RET. I think it would be worth it to make the R151 work that OP has, and if he's adding a crawl box then just do a gear driven crawler and do a taco box to keep the stock rear case. If he does that, could even reuse the speed sensor from the taco t-case so no messing with the speedo other than extending the wires.

Products Discussed in

To Top