Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Driveline vibration

Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Nelz1 is on a distinguished road

Nelz1's Tacoma Gallery
Driveline vibration

I have founf that a pipe clamp around the driveshaft (in the outermost runout) has lessened the vibration alot!!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Can you post some pics for the less mechanically inclined so we can see what you're talking about?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #3

Nelz1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Can you post some pics for the less mechanically inclined so we can see what you're talking about?
I have no pics but all I did was use a hose clamp large enough for the driveshaft. I found the clamps in the plumbing dept at homedepot.

I used a runout gauge a found my rear driveshaft to be out alot so it was wobbling when driving. I put the clamp on in exactly that spot with the tightining screw directly oppose the max runout.(in hopes it would counter balance that wobble)
So my low end vibe at 20 30 and 40mph is nearly gone..
with some tweaking readjustment of the band or a bit more or less weight in that area I think It may be taken care of.
I measured my pinion angles and they were perfect and my center carrier bearing was also checked to be alligned with front and rear pinions.
Look around there alot of info floating out there(maybe not toyota specific though)
good luck
Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
cool, thanks for teh instructions
Old 10-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelz1 View Post
I have no pics but all I did was use a hose clamp large enough for the driveshaft. I found the clamps in the plumbing dept at homedepot.

I used a runout gauge a found my rear driveshaft to be out alot so it was wobbling when driving. I put the clamp on in exactly that spot with the tightining screw directly oppose the max runout.(in hopes it would counter balance that wobble)
So my low end vibe at 20 30 and 40mph is nearly gone..
with some tweaking readjustment of the band or a bit more or less weight in that area I think It may be taken care of.
I measured my pinion angles and they were perfect and my center carrier bearing was also checked to be alligned with front and rear pinions.
Look around there alot of info floating out there(maybe not toyota specific though)
good luck
Not to bust your bubble...but sounds like you have other issues and/or this is a bandaid of sorts. Not really sure what a hose clamp is gonna accomplish -from a technical perspective.

If you thought the driveshaft was out of balance - why didn't you just get it re-balanced?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #6

Nelz1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Not to bust your bubble...but sounds like you have other issues and/or this is a bandaid of sorts. Not really sure what a hose clamp is gonna accomplish -from a technical perspective.

If you thought the driveshaft was out of balance - why didn't you just get it re-balanced?
The clamp is a weight and the bench balancing will do the same job (balance the shaft).
Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelz1 View Post
The clamp is a weight and the bench balancing will do the same job (balance the shaft).
It's a bandaid...... and won't last. How long do you think that hose clamp will last before it gets loose and/or flies off?

Sorry - just not something I would do. I'd pay the extra money and take my driveshaft to a reputable driveshaft shop and have it checked/rebalanced.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
fitter565 is on a distinguished road

fitter565's Tacoma Gallery
Nelz1, Heres another idea to help your balancing. Go to a tire shop and get a few oz's of the stick on wheel weights. They come in 1/4 oz segments. I would weigh the band clamp and then add or subtract the weights till you find the sweet spot.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #9

Nelz1's Tacoma Gallery
Vibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter565 View Post
Nelz1, Heres another idea to help your balancing. Go to a tire shop and get a few oz's of the stick on wheel weights. They come in 1/4 oz segments. I would weigh the band clamp and then add or subtract the weights till you find the sweet spot.
Thanks I was considering that and it makes the most sense....a liitle more caressing and she'll be happy girl..

once this is ironed out its time to screw it all up with a lift and wheels..
Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
04asphalt is a splendid one to behold04asphalt is a splendid one to behold04asphalt is a splendid one to behold04asphalt is a splendid one to behold04asphalt is a splendid one to behold04asphalt is a splendid one to behold04asphalt is a splendid one to behold04asphalt is a splendid one to behold
04asphalt's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

because I'm having this vibration problem and I NEED A SOLUTION
Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
If this isn't covered by the warranty, then I second what someone else said, and go to a drive line shop and have it rebalanced. Excess Vibration in the drive line can cause parts to fatigue quicker, and not to mention, can be very uncomfortable.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
Roger dodger you old codger
Old 03-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
AM300 is on a distinguished road
AM300's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried another dealer?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
MASTER KNUCKLE BLEEDER
TRDATER will become famous soon enough

TRDATER's Tacoma Gallery
The clamp will work as a weight to balance the shaft, i would recommend sending it out to get balanced. Vibrations are not good for tailshaft bushings nor seals