1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RA60 swap Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AFZ, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Feb 18, 2015 at 9:20 AM
    AFZ

AFZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    I've searched.

I currently own a 2005 4.0 5spd Auto 4x4 AC Tacoma.

I would like a manual again. I already know the default answer is "swap trucks" but that really is a HUGE PITA.

1st the 6spd 4x4 seems rare, like 5 for sale nation wide right now.

Second, it'll have to be at a dealer to trade and I'll get raped on that. Then lastly I have to drive 400-800 miles to even get the truck.

I did the math and with the asking price vs trade and taxes and titles I'll be out $4-6k easily. Never mind that half the trucks are not as nice as mine.

RA60s seem to go for $1,300.

So does the RA60 bolt to the Automatic T-Case? Toyota lists different part numbers but that rarely mean much.

Also, what about the R155? Will that bolt to the 1GR and T-Case? Is there any strength difference?

Swapping trans has several benefits over the swapping trucks. I already know the last 70k miles of history on my truck. I will be able to upgrade to the URD Throwout Bearing and I'll also be able to do the clutch as well.

The mechanics and wiring are no issue to me. It's just whether or not these parts actually mate together.

2. Feb 19, 2015 at 5:10 AM
    AFZ

AFZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    Nobody knows this? Trucks have only been out for 10 years now.....

3. Feb 26, 2017 at 9:20 PM
    N/Es06

N/Es06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 icons inchworm rotrex
    I just purchased a 2006 tacoma with the six speed. I thought it would be cool to have a stick again. I figured a Toyota six speed would help with fuel economy vs my 04 4runner with a four speed auto. The runner did 70 mph @ 2100 rpm while the Tacoma is @ 2600 rpm at 70 in 6th. I think 5th and 6th gear are way to close. I read on here some people go straight to 6th gear and pass 5th. The new tacoma also has an inchworm (lefty) t-case from lowrange that is sweet but sometimes when using gears no breaks the transfer case and transmission will come out of lo and gear. I e-mailed lowrangeoffroad and asked if it was related to the fact I still have a stock clutch and flywheel but they told me they see this often and asked if I could hold the shifter in gear or if it popped out really hard. The guy responding to my email says I likely need a transmission rebuild. After reading online I stumbled across a great write up on this forum about common issues and discrepancies with RA60. Urd (underdogracingdevelopment) offer another transmission from corvette or something but I'd highly recommend looking up the write up. I can't remember what it was called RA60 something. In the search bar I put 6 speed rebuild.

Products Discussed in

To Top