1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truxedo low pro tonneau cover issue

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by ToyFXR88, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Feb 20, 2015 at 11:18 AM
    ToyFXR88

ToyFXR88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Anyone have one of these? I just installed one yesterday and there's a gap above the top of the tailgate between it and the cover. Upon further inspection, my bed rail caps sit higher than my tailgate cap. This is how I bought the truck. Are other tailgate caps available? Am I stuck with this gap? I can't adjust the tonneau cover any further to close the gap.

Truck is a 2014 double cab long box.

I attached a pic. There's a rubber flap on the underside on the cover where the tailgate is supposed to make contact with it

image.jpg

2. Feb 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Can the rails be adjusted, can you lower both sides?

3. Feb 20, 2015 at 3:23 PM
    ToyFXR88

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Nope. The tonneau is as low as it will go. My bed rail caps are taller than the tailgate so I'm not sure if there's a different tailgate cap available from Toyota or if anyone else has encountered this and had a solution

4. Feb 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    mikevee

mikevee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    14 prerunner trd offroad
    I think you need a car wash :eek:

5. Feb 20, 2015 at 6:25 PM
    ToyFXR88

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WI
    Vehicle:
    I don't think that will help solve my problem.

Also, given the sub zero ambient air temperatures we've been having for most of the week plus the snow we got today and the snow we will get tomorrow, no point in washing it right now. Besides, maybe the frame will rust prematurely and then I'll get a new one.

6. Feb 20, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The "low-profile" tonneau cover designs typically don't seal as well in this area. A "conventional" tonneau that sits completely on the rail caps typically would have a beefier weatherstrip over the tailgate as well.

You can buy beefier weatherstripping and stick them either on top of the tailgate or under the tonneau, effectively backing up the rubber flap. You will need to add weatherstripping around the sides and bottom of the tailgate anyway if you want to keep water out completely.

Google "tailgate seal" and you'll come up with all kinds of designs and vendors. For example: http://www.pickupspecialties.com/trailseal.htm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  7. Feb 20, 2015 at 6:58 PM
    303tacoma

303tacoma Bad Karma is a Bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Sw Denver Concrete Jungle
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD AC 4th gen Rav4 Platinum
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
    I have one of these covers and mine sits futher back that flap goes over the back of the tailgate...You said its been cold maybe the cover is not stretched out due to the cold... There is a tension adjuster on the cover..

8. Feb 20, 2015 at 7:17 PM
    ToyFXR88

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WI
    Vehicle:
    I installed the cover at work which was a comfortable 65-70 degrees. The instructions said to install the center hole of the rearward brackets (3 per bed rail) 11.25" from the tailgate, which I did.

I just thought it was interesting to discover the tailgate cap sat below the bed rails, so I didn't know if there were different options for tailgate caps to make it level with the bed rails. I'll check out the weather stripping. I don't want it completely water tight, I just didn't like the gap between the cover and tailgate.

9. Feb 20, 2015 at 7:17 PM
    Asianguywithatruk

Asianguywithatruk Well-Known Member

Member:
    CenCal
    Vehicle:
    05 taco DCSB
    King RR coilovers Ironman leaf springs 17" scs sr8 jet black 285 75 17 Yokohama geolandar Demello front bumper Brute force rear bumper
    Did you close the cover then the tailgate?

10. Feb 20, 2015 at 7:26 PM
    ToyFXR88

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Yes. Either way there is a gap

11. Feb 20, 2015 at 7:38 PM
    303tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Vehicle:
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
    I just looked at mine it sits closer to the tailgate than the pics you have.. The flap goes almost to the outside edge of the tailgate...and there is a height difference between my side rail and tailgate.....Ill try and snap a pic in the morning if u would like so you can see the difference

12. Feb 20, 2015 at 7:48 PM
    ToyFXR88

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WI
    Vehicle:
    I can snap a pic in the morning. If the height difference is normal than im not too worried. I don't expect it to be 100% water tight, I was just puzzled by the height difference. My past truck, a silverado, wasn't like this.

That would be great.

13. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:28 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  14. Feb 21, 2015 at 6:45 AM
    ToyFXR88

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Here is the front edge of the cover, by the cab.

image.jpg

15. Feb 21, 2015 at 8:15 AM
    303tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

Pics from last night

16. Feb 21, 2015 at 8:17 AM
    303tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    I cant figure out how to post more than 1 pic at a time I have a couple daylight I just took if you want to see those.. Look in my gallery.. At least you can get an idea where the cover is setting on the backside

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  17. Feb 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    Asianguywithatruk

Asianguywithatruk Well-Known Member

Member:
    CenCal
    Vehicle:
    05 taco DCSB
    King RR coilovers Ironman leaf springs 17" scs sr8 jet black 285 75 17 Yokohama geolandar Demello front bumper Brute force rear bumper
    Still look like you're closing it wrong. You lock the cover in place. Then close the tailgate.

Take a picture of the rail butt up to the tailgate when closed. It's suppose to touch and that's part of the seal. From the last pic you posted, I can kind of see the seal is not push back against the tailgate at all.

18. Feb 22, 2015 at 3:31 PM
    303tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Vehicle:
    I like the seal outside the bed of the truck that way when there is rain or snow it doesnt drain into my bed...My brother inlaw said the same thing you did.... My pics were to show OP how my flap is closer to the backend than his pi:)

19. Feb 22, 2015 at 3:33 PM
    OKJC

OKJC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    NWArkansas
    Vehicle:
    '10 SC 4x4 TRD Sport
    I have that cover as well. My flap actually goes inside the tailgate. Water will occasionally dribble in at the corners, during really heavy rains, but that's it. I'll grab a picture in a bit.

20. Feb 22, 2015 at 4:15 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    It looks like you can slide it back slightly. I have one on my Tundra and it stays pretty dry. I also keep the rubber flap inside of the tailgate. You can also contact TruXedo. They have good customer service.

Products Discussed in

To Top