LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buying 2009 Tacoma within the month. A few Questions.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
jeffha4 is on a distinguished road
jeffha4's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Buying 2009 Tacoma within the month. A few Questions.

Hey everyone,
I've been lurking here for a while anticipating the day I buy my new truck. Well the time is nearly here, and I just have a few questions for you...

For those of you that have bought 09's how much did you pay, and with what options? I'm looking for a TRD-OR, and want to see what I should try to haggle in this down-ed economy.

Should I consider buying used? I can afford new, but am I really getting any big advantages from buying new over used?

Super White, Magnetic Grey Metalic, or Black Sand Pearl?

Thank you for any input, you guys are a great resource for inspiration.

Jeff
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
JPinCowtown is on a distinguished road
JPinCowtown's Tacoma Gallery
In my area Tacomas are selling pretty well so you don't have a tremendous amount of leverage on price, like you do when buying a "Big Three" truck. I'm not the greatest haggler in the world but I bought my 09' DC 4x4 SR5 (Super White) for a couple hundred under invoice. The dealer still made a decent profit off me but I have no problem with that - I got what I wanted and I'll probably drive it for well over 10 years - I'm happy....
Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Oh, and as far as used vs. new - I looked for several months with no luck. There just aren't many out there (or around here anyway) with 20k miles or less on them. When I did find one I thought the prices were too high. For about 2,000 more I bought a new one.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, wait towards the end of the month to buy. I have found that dealers are a little more generous on price when it's time to close out the month. Good luck and with those color choices, you can't go wrong.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior Junior Member In Training
4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice

Name: Dan
4getful's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, i think that it just depends on the dealer you go to for the kind of deal you get. I think if you could shop around at a couple different dealers then you might get a better deal. My wife and I just bought a 4runner and shopped around. Ended up getting exactly what we wanted for about 5 grand cheaper than the first dealer. We added goodies to the mix and still came out cheaper than the first dealers lowest sale price. As for color I am a little bit biased towards the MGM. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
jeffha4's Tacoma Gallery
I won't be able to purchase til the end of the month anyway, so covered there. But I just got an offer from a local dealer... $28,800 for a New 2009, Black, D-cab, TRD-OR w/JBL. As far as I'm aware, that's a couple hundred below invoice. I might just need to accept that offer! What do you guys think?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
I would go to kbb.com, edmunds.com or one of the other websites that show you actual invoice pricing with your options. That's a good starting point for negotiations. There is a considerable amount of profit packed into the invoice price so they can go a bit lower and still make money on the deal - especially if you are using their financing - not to mention the high profit margins they make off any add-ons.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior Junior Member In Training
4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice4getful is just really nice

Name: Dan
4getful's Tacoma Gallery
I would go for it, and get freebies also, i.e. dashmat, bed mat, rubber floor mats. That is what i always do. negotiate the crap out of them and then have them throw stuff in.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
I think therefore I'm a Democrat
Richman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Richman21's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2009 Sport PreRunner MGM with JBL, I got it for $26,500 OTD. I didn't deal with the dealers, I bought mine through my credit union. The credit union purchase is similiar to the Costco buyers program buying at near invoice. I love my truck. However the tires that come with the Tacomas are garbage, so I replaced them at 250 miles with some Michelin Cross Terrains.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
jeffha4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinCowtown View Post
I would go to kbb.com, edmunds.com or one of the other websites that show you actual invoice pricing with your options. That's a good starting point for negotiations. There is a considerable amount of profit packed into the invoice price so they can go a bit lower and still make money on the deal - especially if you are using their financing - not to mention the high profit margins they make off any add-ons.
I checked edmunds. The invoice on my options is just over $29,000. So still a good price. And I'll be getting a loan through my credit union. No dealer financing for me.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
jeffha4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
I thought about used but with all the safety upgrades on the 09 I went with new. I bought the OR but looking back I wish I would have at least looked at the Sport. I did not like the hood scoop so I didn't even look at it. Now, I sort of like it. I really like my OR though.
Yeah, i want the locker. I am seriously considering getting a sport hood and installing it though. The hood scoop is way good looking. And you can get the hood for less than $400 on toyotapartsales.com So not half bad.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
jeffha4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richman21 View Post
I have a 2009 Sport PreRunner MGM with JBL, I got it for $26,500 OTD. I didn't deal with the dealers, I bought mine through my credit union. The credit union purchase is similiar to the Costco buyers program buying at near invoice. I love my truck. However the tires that come with the Tacomas are garbage, so I replaced them at 250 miles with some Michelin Cross Terrains.
Yeah, tires will be junk. But I'm going to be lifting it very soon after buying anyway. So I'll be buying new tires and wheels as well.

But my brother in law bought a 4runner a year ago from a guy that buys vehicles from the toyota factory(old show cars, display cars, etc). I think he will be able to save me a substantial amount of money on a lightly used(a few thousand miles) truck with all my options. So I shouldn't have to deal with the dealers after all.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #14
eschmunk is a jewel in the rougheschmunk is a jewel in the rougheschmunk is a jewel in the rough

eschmunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffha4 View Post
I won't be able to purchase til the end of the month anyway, so covered there. But I just got an offer from a local dealer... $28,800 for a New 2009, Black, D-cab, TRD-OR w/JBL. As far as I'm aware, that's a couple hundred below invoice. I might just need to accept that offer! What do you guys think?
I just picked up a Super White 2009 DC, SB, TRD OR Pre-runner with the tow package, dtrls, carpet mats, 6 disc, and toyo protection for $24.7 OTD. Mind you I live in SC and tax is capped at $300 but we have to pay property tax every year.

-e
Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #15
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Property tax on the truck? Is it the same as registration?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
BBQ BOY has a spectacular aura aboutBBQ BOY has a spectacular aura aboutBBQ BOY has a spectacular aura about

BBQ BOY's Tacoma Gallery
Eschmunk,
I am in Charleston too. Where did you get your truck? I have been looking for months and we don't seem to have much here. There is a Tacoma that just popped up identical to the Tacoma I have been wanting. Well, except for the fact it has grey interior and not beige. It is an 09' Super white TRD OR 4x4, DC, LB with 5,000 miles. Already has leather, Firestone Destination A/T tires and a tool box but they are asking 29,900 without any budging.
i love the hood scoop
Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
www.EvolvedFinance.com
ccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
ccoorreeyy's Tacoma Gallery
Whoot! Enjoy! They're so much fun.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
If you can get away from it, I'd stay away from the JBL package and save some cash there off the bat. To many people have issues with it, and for the cash you can build a much higher quality setup...

GL with your purchase... also recommend don't make the mistake I did and go 4x4 ;P
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #19
eschmunk is a jewel in the rougheschmunk is a jewel in the rougheschmunk is a jewel in the rough

eschmunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ BOY View Post
Eschmunk,
I am in Charleston too. Where did you get your truck? I have been looking for months and we don't seem to have much here. There is a Tacoma that just popped up identical to the Tacoma I have been wanting. Well, except for the fact it has grey interior and not beige. It is an 09' Super white TRD OR 4x4, DC, LB with 5,000 miles. Already has leather, Firestone Destination A/T tires and a tool box but they are asking 29,900 without any budging.
i love the hood scoop
I got my truck from Richard Sommers at Gene Reed, he is the manager of one the sales teams. We bought the wife a Scion tC from him a couple years ago when he was a salesmen. I worked with him and one of his guys, I believe his name was Kurt. I have a card in the truck if you want his whole name. Rich will definitely do what he can for you. I tried Columbia, Beufort, and West Ashley as well but with poor results. Rich was spot on in this deal from the get go. If you go see him let me know how it turns out and let him know that I sent you.

Erich
Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #20
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely buy new. It is a good way to start. You can do all the maintence yourself. IMO, magnetic grey is the way to go! I have super white, but when I plan to trade in my Taco it will be for a Magnetic Grey.