1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relationship between age and number of mods?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JPinCowtown, May 6, 2009.

1. May 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    Buzzoff

Buzzoff Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in

Member:
    The Nickel/5th Ward
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Speedway Blue
    Blacked out windows, 5100's@1.75", KMC XD Hoss795 16x8
    I just turned 38....I had a 2003 Prerunner Xtracab for 6 years that was pretty much stock other than my toolbox and stereo.

When my wife begged for her Dodge Magnum (with a Hemi of course) a buddy, who was a member of LXforums.com, got me to sign up. Thats when the mod bug first bit.

I have always wanted my vehicles to be unique, so when I got my 2009 I wanted mod it early so I could enjoy it for the DURATION I owned it. I agree with a previous post that at my age I know a lot of the mods are expensive and you will not get it back out when the vehicle is sold.

With that said I am always looking to mod something (within reason
    $$$-wise). The way I look at it, and thankfully my wife thinks this way too, is that I could be throwing money away womanizing, drinking, gambling, hanging out at the bar all night long or a whole lot worse things than staying at home and playing with my truck!!!! It keeps me busy

2. May 6, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I'm 53 and still trying to pay off my kids college bills. I hope to do more soon.

3. May 6, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock

well said!!!!

4. May 6, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Been there...done that. :)
    House is paid...now it's my turn.:)
    You'll get there.

5. May 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    uh you may be in a club of one there JP. I am going on 48 and I have major mods planned for my truck. I just ordered my COs, wheels, and tires today. Super Charger will soon follow along with some gear changes and other changes. Maybe this is why I changed my screen name from OLDGEZR.

6. May 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    I wouldn't necessarily say you're in the upper age range of Tacoma drivers, just the upper age range of Tacoma drives who use the internet. I know I quite frequently see Tacoma drivers in the 50+ age range. I think of my own father (57), who even if he wanted to find a form for his Silverado, he wouldn't know where to look, and would be frustrated the moment he had to type more than a short sentence.

7. May 6, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    I'm 28, and my truck is bone stock. Probably going to stay that way since I'm thinking of trading up to the 4x4 when the lease runs out in 2.5 years. For now, I just needed a truck to get me camping, and hauling things when needed.

8. May 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I spend most of my money on women, beer and mods for the truck. The rest I just wasted.

9. May 6, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I don't think there's any differences in age....It depends....
    Some people fall into it HARD. Others fall into soft. And for others, it an evolution of many years.

Mine started with my 96 tacoma and I was 31 years old. The offroading aspect of it was what kicked my ass. I spent sooo much money on that truck and offroaded it for 3 years (owned it for 5 years) and from there....I bought a jeep trail rig. Bought a tow rig & trailer.

Now...10 years later.... Sold the tow rig. Sold the trailer. Still have a jeep trail rig and now I have an 07 tacoma.

I'm slowing down.....but believe me, if I had more money and less priorities in other areas, that 07 tacoma would have a lot more mods done to it.

I think, the older you get....you realize the money you could spend on mods must go towards other things, like the house, the kids, vacations, the family, etc.

10. May 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Hit that one on the nail right there.....

11. May 6, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    My Dad has modded all of his trucks that I can remember..........He turned 68 this year, and drives a pretty heavily modded Dodge 1 ton. :)

12. May 6, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Actually the older you are the more chance you have of having a seperate "junker" truck that you've moded to death and turned into a trailer queen to beat it to death instead of being young and wreckless spending $25,000 - $32,000 on a truck only to throw more money into just to break it and spend more $$ on it fixing it. :D:p:rolleyes:

13. May 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    @ 40 I have done 5 mods.

14. May 6, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I would agree with oldtacomaguy. At 51, I am not going to spend fortunes doing lifts, etc. I have no need for that. But I like to do something different every few months as I find things that interest me...

15. May 6, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    OK ill play iam 50 this is what i have done and i blame T/W
    dont know if haft counts but here you go

tonneau cover
    window visors
    floor matts from toyota
    hood struts
    5100s front and rear
    black out headlights
    extra d-rings in Bed
    fog lights on anytime
    alternating turn signals
    trd cai
    flowmaster exhaust 50 series
    Bed matt from toyota
    bull bar
    grillcraft grilll
    i think thats it so this aint no young boys game us old bastards are still here :D:D 2008 tacoma 12.ooo miles 4.0 more to come :D

16. May 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    MassTaco

MassTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    V6 4x4 SR5 DC AT5
    Another 28 year old with a bone stock truck. I have absolutely no urge to mod ... the truck does just what I need it to just as it is. I managed to own my Mazdaspeed6 for two years without a single mod to that as well.

Instead of mods I waste my money on maintaining everything I own above and beyond what the manual states ... I'm an obsessive maintenance freak ...

17. May 6, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    almost 52 here. I've done a few. Looking to do more.

18. May 6, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    plmber58

plmber58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner sr5 package Pyrite Mica color
    BLU Logic, Ipod interface, storage lock box for existing storage area, debadged, new color grill, wet okole seat covers, coming a Kenwood DNX6140 radio head unit, and a Protecta bed mat
    Hell I am 60 so the house is about paid off kids are gone so now for me it is play time. Granted I am not going wheeling but I want to make my truck my own so far it has been debadged, new grill, Protecta bed mat, all weather mats, tuffy bed box, wet okole seat covers and Friday a Kenwood DNX6140 navigation, stereo with Ipod adapter and blutooth will be installed. Like an idiot I went and had an :frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:Ipod adapter and blulogic installed by dealer the first week I had the truck so basicaly I threw away a few bucks as I hate the factory radio but then I can use the excuse I have a bad case of TMBs. Meaning Too Many Birthdays.

19. May 6, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    fixedforbroke

fixedforbroke Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Simons Island
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 White as Snow
    Stock the way god made her. (FOR NOW)
    i hope i have the same attitude toward my truck when im 41

20. May 6, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    im 39 thinking like i was 20 again,(kids made me do it)but what the hell one of my kids can have it when im done with it.daughter will b driving in a year and a half(she loves to drive it now when we do a mountain trip) but i dont think ill give it up then,who knows.

Products Discussed in

To Top