1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relationship between age and number of mods?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JPinCowtown, May 6, 2009.

1. May 6, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    The results of the "How old are you?" poll confirmed my suspicion that at age 52 I am in the upper end of the range for Tacoma drivers. (less than 10% of respondents in my age group) Also, would it be a safe bet that the older you are, the less likely you are to do a lot of mods? Are we geezers more likely to be in the "Bone Stock Club" or is that a club with a membership of 1? (me):rolleyes:

2. May 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Well, at 34 I've done one or two mods to my truck. ;)

3. May 6, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock

im hoping by the time im 50 my current truck will be a trophy truck :rolleyes::eek:

4. May 6, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    At 39, i have had my truck for 5 years was bone stock until this year. I started on some simple stuff and have bigger plans for the future.

5. May 6, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    we all know what you have done to your truck
    nice btw :D:D

6. May 6, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    I'm 20 with just a few "mods". But I have a bank account just for the Tacoma. And its not empty. :thumbsup: I'm waiting to do a lot all at once.

7. May 6, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand

Maybe it will work by the time your fifty!!! :p

8. May 6, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    I don't think I've done any mods for looks only? Everything that I have done is because I needed it or would be needing in the future. Once you get up in age I would think that a person slows down a bit? At 36 I don't have plans on getting crazy anymore but I do plan on having more fun.;) There is nothing with "bone stock" if that's what you want.

9. May 6, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i'm 32 .you just become wise as you get older. you realize that money you invest/waste in your truck will never come back. i wasted alot of money in past trucks and took baths when it came time to sell.

10. May 6, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I'm only 24, I've done a few mods to my truck. Nothing really big. Got the lift/tires put on, couple interior creature comforts, tonneau, foglight mod. Otherwise my truck sits stock. The only thing I want to do now is regain a little power lost from the bigger tires. Probably be headers and exhaust, and maybe a MAF.

For looks, my mods are just to set me apart from the millions of other tacomas on the road. I know plenty of people my age who haven't done a thing to their truck. Where I grew up though, even the old timers drove lifted trucks. Its just normal where I come from I guess.

11. May 6, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd say in general- the mods change as you get older.

Right now I want a trail rig. As my wife and I settle down we'll be looking to have horses, with a horse trailer, for showing- So it'll be cab comforts with capacity for towing/cargo. When I get real old-I want the biggest truck I can get so I can take out whole farmers markets in one pass.

12. May 6, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I'm 19 and my truck is bone stock except for a head unit and speakers I got for xmas

13. May 6, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    I'm 28 (almost 29) and I've decided to do most of what i wanted at once, with the initial buy of the truck, so Id on't have to make it into a money pit.

Well, that's what i tell my girlfriend, but I know deep inside that I'll continue modding it afterwards..

I have Icons resi shocks & C/O, Camburg UCA, custom Alcan springs, u bolt flip, extended brake lines, timbrens, teflon wheels, MTZ tires, stubbs sliders and ordering front, rear bumpers and underbody armor. Should be done for a while after that.

But then I'll want a winch, camper shell, hi-lift, on board air, locker, etc. It never stops!

14. May 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    i think in general, younger ones are more into modding than older ones no matter what the vehicle is

15. May 6, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    I'm 26. I constantly forget what mods I've done because of the number of them.

16. May 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    At 53, I just want to do a few things to make it better. New stereo, grillcraft, window tint. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do something every few months to change it, kind of like a hobby.

17. May 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    56 going on 26 here.
    A few Mods...:)

18. May 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Well, add me to the "bone stock" club and I'm only 31 years old. I admit that when I was in High School, I had a 88' Celica and I got the thing painted, bought rims, had custom upholstery for it and had a nice stereo. Then I traded it in and didn't get jack shit for it. That was the end of my modding days. Bought the most stripped-down version of a 96' Taco. Crank down windows, manual locks, manual 5 speed, bench cloth covered seats, and black painted bumpers. The only "upgrades" was a new chrome bumper after someone crunched my old one and I found that the chrome was the same cost as the black one. That and I got fake plastic chrome hub caps after two stock ones flew off and the dealer wanted $75 apiece for them verus $30 for a whole set of four from Wal-Mart.

When you get married you find that there's more important priorities- like saving for a house or retirement. That and you make the realization that nobody except you gives a shit about your truck. You're not impressing anybody. So why blow the change on shiney stuff that won't make your truck worth anything extra?

19. May 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I'm up to about 22 mods.

20. May 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    I'm 41 and have a laundry list of mods. I unassumingly bought this truck not knowing about this site or toyotanation.:help: I'm used to doing this sort of stuff on my motorcycles, but was not expecting this.:eek:

But you know what...I'm having a blast getting back into messing around with my vehicle again. I'm testing my stereo knowledge/skills, and building this truck to look/drive/feel the way I want it to be. Even better is that this truck is perfect for that. Easy as heck to pull apart and mod, and reliable as a brick. Score.

Growing older is inevitable, growing UP is optional.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top