Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are our tailgates stout at the leading edge?

Old 02-24-2015, 05:13 AM   #1
99sh is on a distinguished road
99sh's Tacoma Gallery

I was planning on purchasing a sheet of 12 gauge steel and slapping it on the tailgate back. Is the leading edge/lip of our tailgates known to be weak? From what I can see it's not, but wanted to confirm. I'm concerned if the feet of a motorcycle ramp can bend the tailgate at that location.

I'm cheap and rather not spend the $$ on a relentless tailgate reinforcement if I don't have to.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:32 AM   #2
KB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
The plastic cap is very weak, and the clips break ALL THE TIME.

That's why I make this: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...kb-voodoo.html
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
99sh is on a distinguished road
99sh's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link; I had forgotten about that product.

So what do people do? Buy the metal cap and buy sheet metal for the main portion? Price ends up being very close to the 1-piece relentless unit.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
tomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomwil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sh View Post
I was planning on purchasing a sheet of 12 gauge steel and slapping it on the tailgate back.
There are 2 types of tailgate reinforcements available from a member here on the forum, on sale currently. It includes steel rivet nuts to replace the weak factory plastic nut inserts.

http://mobtownoffroad.com/product/tailgate-skin

He also offers a tailgate cap, on sale also, and can make a packaged deal.

http://mobtownoffroad.com/product/tailgate-cap

Old 02-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
dont forget the relentless fab tailgate skin.

This is the only one that actually fully wraps around the top of the tailgate providing the most strength.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post

This is the only one that actually fully wraps around the top of the tailgate providing the most strength.
Thanks I agree, strongest one no doubt if it came to loading each down until failure, and our pricing is very competitive.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
Beavis Killer
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

^^ This

I got it because I haul logs and the last time I did I was very concerned about warping out the tailgate.

I got the one from Relentless and it works awesome, makes your tail gate a bit heavier but fuck it, I'm a man.

I'll post pics in a minute.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
Beavis Killer
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pchop's Tacoma Gallery

He makes it so the OEM plastic liner fits over the plate.

I have to say, once I pulled the plastic liner off, there is NOTHING to the tailgate. Super flimsy, I am surprised you can stand on it without bending it.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #9
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchop View Post
He makes it so the OEM plastic liner fits over the plate.

I have to say, once I pulled the plastic liner off, there is NOTHING to the tailgate. Super flimsy, I am surprised you can stand on it without bending it.
that was what i thought once i pulled the composite cover off.

FYI you simply have to remove two small tabs on the composite cover, and drill out the top edge holes (all super easy) of the composite cover to use it over the relentless fab skin.

I love mine, makes the tailgate so much better, and it looks real good with the composite cover over it, and fit around the top edge of the tail gate is top notch. Only issue was some of the original holes needed to be drilled out a smidge but it wasnt that big of an issue.

BTW Pchop... what are you running in the rear as far as suspension to hold that load!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
BTW Pchop... what are you running in the rear as far as suspension to hold that load!

bump stops
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
Beavis Killer

Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
that was what i thought once i pulled the composite cover off.

FYI you simply have to remove two small tabs on the composite cover, and drill out the top edge holes (all super easy) of the composite cover to use it over the relentless fab skin.

I love mine, makes the tailgate so much better, and it looks real good with the composite cover over it, and fit around the top edge of the tail gate is top notch. Only issue was some of the original holes needed to be drilled out a smidge but it wasnt that big of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
bump stops
Same as Pete.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #12
It's $10 for a BJ, $12 for an HJ, $15 for a ZJ...
arsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
arsenj0365's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post
There are 2 types of tailgate reinforcements available from a member here on the forum, on sale currently. It includes steel rivet nuts to replace the weak factory plastic nut inserts.

http://mobtownoffroad.com/product/tailgate-skin

He also offers a tailgate cap, on sale also, and can make a packaged deal.

http://mobtownoffroad.com/product/tailgate-cap

On top of the smooth skin I make that fits under the oem plastic piece if you want to maintain the factory look, I also offer one with stamped embossed ribs across the tailgate that increase plate strength even more.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...n-offroad.html

All parts are made from 14 gauge steel that is powder coated in textured black for maximum durability. As Tomwil mentioned, all skins are shipped with 1/4-20 steel threaded inserts that replace the factory plastic threaded inserts to ensure even more strength. Also, parts are on sale right now until April 15. PM me for shipping quote if you have interest.