1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

End of the line with Toyota...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xmixpixx, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    xmixpixx

xmixpixx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD Off Road 6 spd
    Alright.. This is a vent / advice request.. In October, while having my truck inspected for PA inspection, I was told about my frame by an independent mechanic that I'd trust with my life. Well fast forward to last week, and I have a new frame coming in 3-5 months. Well, for a while, my truck hasn't shifted into reverse all that smoothly. I can do it in my sleep, but anyone else needs a little coaching (6 speed manual). Upon picking up my truck, before I left, I noticed a comment on the dealer printout about how sloppy and bad my manual transmission is, and they specifically said they cannot find reverse. Well when I go to leave, when I put the shifter into first, it's like the shifter pops out of position, and throws towards the dash / steering wheel. I push it back into place, and carefully shift my way home. I regret ever leaving with the truck, but I wanted to talk to my mechanic first (first mistake). So I called the service manager on my way home when I realized how bad it really was, explained that noone told me they had issues with my transmission, that they said they couldnt' get it into reverse on the paper, but never told me that, and now it shifts absolutely terribly. I completely understand there was probably a developing problem, but it seemed like it was pushed over the top. My suspicion is that someone wasn't able to get the truck into reverse, and they were jamming it, and bent something. So the service manager set up an appointment for the following morning for them to take a look at it, and was very nice on the phone. Needless to say, after dropping it off, I get a call that they won't even look at it for less than $100. Do they not remember that I'm almost certain the problem was made worse in their hands? I understand nothing with the frame inspection would have caused it, but simply forcing gears would. I've had the typical grinding into 3rd gear lately, so I'm sure the synchros are going. My mechanic (that has driven my truck before and after) is pretty sure something with the shifting forks got bent but forcing it into gear. My truck has over 190K on it, so I'm about to dump it, and the way the dealership has treated me they may have lost me as a customer. Any suggestions on where to go from here? I can't justify replacing the clutch / transmission / etc with that high of miles, although the truck is running very strong with that exception.

Also, any idea what kind of costs I may be looking at for those repairs? (NOT at the dealer, as I will never step foot there again except for my frame replacement)

2. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:44 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Call corporate and complain about that dealer. Tell them you dropped the truck off, they messed up the transmission possibly. That would be step 1 imo.

3. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:46 PM
    Wiggins

Wiggins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Sport Hood, ICON 3" Lift - 700lb coils, Total Chaos UCAs 5% Tinted Windows Crystal Front Window Film 2.5 resi shocks front and rear, dakar leaf packs Wheelers Bump Stops All-Pro Offroad APEX Front Plate Bumper, PIAA Fog Lights, PIAA Fog Lights, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad Skid Plates, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Rear Plate Bumper, Side Armor for Plate, Hidden Receiver Hitch, Black All-Pro Offroad APEX Sliders,Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Pack Rack, Black Line-X, 16" height ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Hankook Dynapro ATM 285/75/16 Vision Manx 16"x8" rims, 4.5" Backspacing Warn M8000-s Winch, Factor55 Flatlink, Factor55 1" Hawse Fairlead RIGID Industries Ditch Lights Tractor Supply Bed Box 260amp H.O. Alternator Big 3 Cable Replacement NorthStar AGM34 battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage Plefreybilt Fuse Plate BlueSea fuse block Kenwood TS-B2000 Short Wave Radio, Remote face, Pack Rack Mounted Antenna Uniden Bearcat CB Cab Mount Chop (BAMF Inserts) TODO: ARB Air System ARB Rear Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears ARB Front Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears HID Retrofit Headlights Rigid Industries RDS-Series 54" Midnight Edition LED Rigid Industries R2-46 Combo Round Light (x2)
    Exactly this.

No more discussion in this thread needed, let's not explode it into a freaking 10-pager of everyone saying "Oh yeah damn I hate dealers! This is the first time anyone has ever posted something like this before, guys!"

4. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:47 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    I have no idea of the repair costs and I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience. My thought it that this is the dealers fault - not Toyota's or the trucks. I love my truck too much to dump it, I would look into how much the fix would be. Your mechanic friend seems to know all about your predicament, I would ask him directly, "I got screwed. What can you do for me?". Does he not work on transmissions? If something was just bent it may be a smaller fix such as a replacement piece, and if the synchros were going anyway maybe you can kill two birds with one stone.

Bottom line: What is your repair cost?

5. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:51 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Very difficult to prove the dealer did any damage considering you already were having issues to begin with. Also, the title is misleading as this really isn't a slam towards Toyota as a corporation as it is an issue with a dealer.

Unfortunately, it is your word against theirs in this situation. Time to move on.

6. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    high voltage taco

high voltage taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 speed 4x4
    so far, URD throwout bearing kit(sleeve), weathertechs, 285/70/17's on Ion 17x9 and OME 885s and Dakars and nitro sports. BHLM
    If it was me, I'd take it to a notable transmission guy and have him fix it. 190k is not that many miles and plus your getting a new frame. Still got a lot of life left in it. Keep it.

7. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    xmixpixx

Member:
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I intend on contacting corporate just to let them know the situation. I feel bad complaining because I know that there was a problem developing, I just feel as though it was sent over the top. The frustrating part is I had been planning on buying a new truck this year, and with all of this coming up I don't know what to think as far as trade in and yadda yadda. I'm not going to say what dealer I took it to, that doesn't matter. I also think it would be crazy to tear apart the transmission to fix a bent shifting fork and not take care of the clutch (original @192k) and synchros issues, but that's some serious coin on this truck. I was just curious if / what people have experienced cost-wise on those types of repairs should I go that route. I put 2500 into my truck last year in repairs / tires, so to keep shelling out big repairs is definitely getting old.

8. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    x2

9. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:55 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Are you considering selling it and buying a new truck? Because $2500 in maintenance is a fraction of new car cost. If the truck is still full of life, minus the transmission, that's a repair that makes sense even if it's costly.

10. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:57 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    The tranny is done and you're buying a new truck, anyway. Say goodbye to the truck.

11. Feb 27, 2015 at 2:11 PM
    xmixpixx

Member:
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    That's what I'm trying to decide.. I'm trying to get an idea on costs to make an educated not emotional decision haha

12. Feb 27, 2015 at 2:13 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    If you sold it now, you'd lose money because the trans needs work.
    If you fixed it and then sold it, maybe you'd get your money back for the work order, maybe not.
    If you bought a new truck because a transmission replacement was too expensive, then that makes no sense. If the truck is mechanically sound otherwise, and the engine is still strong, then a new transmission is less than a year of new truck payments.

Always cheaper to repair than replace.

13. Feb 27, 2015 at 2:35 PM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    when they replaced the frame you take to take the shifter out i bet they didnt install it right

14. Feb 27, 2015 at 2:56 PM
    skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 AC SSM
    he didnt get a frame replacement yet :notsure:

15. Feb 27, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    Zoot

Zoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC/SB TRD O/R 4X4
    Toyota bed mat, Wet Okole's F&R, Window Tint, custom trail-stripes, Cooper A/T3 265/75R16, MedlinAround interior LEDs, Leer 100r, aFe air filter, K&n cabin filter
    What's kbb/edmunds value on it? Push pull or drag sale, they're offering 3500 here.

16. Feb 27, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    x2
    May we know why you're buying a new truck?

17. Feb 27, 2015 at 4:34 PM
    xmixpixx

Member:
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    My mechanic strongly suggested me replacing the vehicle and that carries a lot of weight with me.. I use my truck hard, and the wear and tear parts he's replaced on it in the last year are adding up.. I'm at 3 grand in repairs in the past year, and while yes a transmission would be cheaper than a years payments, who knows what else will need done on top of that. My thoughts on a new vehicle are to avoid keeping to dump money into it and trade it while I can.. I had a dealer estimate a trade of 6k on it today knowing the issues it has. I hsvent had a car payment in years and the idea of it definitely is not appealing.. When I say new, though, I'm talking used

18. Feb 27, 2015 at 5:18 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Alright so you admit that the transmission had a problem to start with but feel that it was exaggerated by the dealer even though you did not warn them or give them the coaching you mentioned that is needed to make it work. The problem here is that by what you say it sounds like it was already about 75 percent a problem and they may have pushed it to a 85 or 90 percent, but you expect them to pay 100 percent for the fix. :rolleyes:

You are getting a new frame so I suggest that you find a junk yard transmission and have them replace this one with it when they do the frame and if there is any labor cost you pay it or you change it yourself before the frame change. ;)

Reverse this. What if you had been using one of their used vehicles as a loaner and it had a bad transmission like yours but it still worked. While driving it, and it got worse. Do you really think you should pay to replace the transmission with a new one!? Come on! You are expecting way more than you are entitled too. Based on what you have described this is your responsibility, not theirs. So as I said my opinion is you need to foot the bill and even offer them an apology for accusing them for being responsible.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  19. Feb 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM
    xmixpixx

Member:
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I wasn't asking for a free fix, but the service manager told me they would take a look to see what happened.. They wouldn't even look at it after I dropped it off.. Let me rephrase.. Reverse has been tricky.. I never experienced anything remotely similar to what I am now..

20. Feb 27, 2015 at 5:28 PM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    Cut your losses and get a new truck.

Products Discussed in