1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 frame design and rust

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Riley, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Feb 28, 2015 at 11:20 AM
    Riley

Riley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Vancouver Canada
    Hi guys -

I'm new here and been looking at buying a taco. Not new to Toyota (have had cruisers).

This frame rust topic is concerning me and I've gone from thinking used 2011 to buying new 2015. The sales guy is telling me they resolved the frame rust but I'm not so sure.

Any ideas?

I searched but could find a good discussion of the 2014 or 2015.

Perhaps I'll be good if I wash the frame in winter?

2. Feb 28, 2015 at 11:36 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks

1) I'm not sure I'd ever trust a sales guy regarding mechanical type items. Well, at least 75.279% of them ;)

2) Guessing that '14/'15 aren't old enough yet to have many (if any) problems appear yet

3) Seems like that would always be a good idea. On any vehicle driven in a salt/corrosive environment.

3. Feb 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Yes

4. Feb 28, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Salt is used on the east side of Washington. I'm assuming snoqualmie pass as well, but not sure.

5. Feb 28, 2015 at 12:07 PM
    skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 AC SSM
    nice pic toyotatacomatrd! "whats her last name again? Mary swimmy? swanny? slippy? slappy?"

6. Feb 28, 2015 at 12:20 PM
    skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 AC SSM
    from what i understand, they switched frame manufacturers in 2009. so theoretically, the bad frames are pre 2009 (i hope). I have been going to an automated carwash with the underbody spray. More recently, on the nicer days, ive been taking out the garden hose and rinsing off the whole truck, and very thoroughly spraying the undercarriage. They use a shit ton of salt where I live. It's ridiculous. next fall, im getting some fluid film.

7. Feb 28, 2015 at 1:17 PM
    Riley

Riley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Vancouver Canada
    ok, thanks guys. I'll assume with the new supplier (materials/steel) things are much better. If I go new, I'll assume if I take care and wash salt off, I'll be good.

On the use 2011, I'll be careful. I know of a used one that's driven a lot of mountain passes and could have seen a lot of salt between Vancouver and Alberta.

Makes me want to pull the trigger on a new one :)

I'm not sure I'll want to keep reading on this site as that's always a downer on any vehicle.

8. Feb 28, 2015 at 1:33 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks

Reading forums like these is exactly what you SHOULD do prior to a purchase. It goes a long way in helping you make good choices, particularly in the used market, but even some in the new one.

I was on a great forum for the last sports car I bought for over 6 months ahead of a purchase. I learned a lot, and it really helped me decide what to look for an what to avoid.

I wound up buying a 5 yo model with 30k on it, a year model with best wt/hp ratio of it's generation and well maintained. I raced it in a stock class of Solo II and managed to do fairly well, while having cheap fun. And it was still a daily driver.

12 years later I sold it with 100k on it, still in outstanding condition. The only mechanical (non wear related) issues I ever had were a water pump and a radiator. Not bad for a 17 yo car that regularly saw the rev limiter.

The forum helped me upgrade my suspension, brakes, replace my convertible top, perform preventative maintenance and make great cosmetic choices for personalization.

All that to reiterate. Stick around. Read more, learn more. And realize that what you see here is but a small sampling of the total Tacoma world, and folks like us that come to forums will naturally bring problems with us. But remember, there are thousands of other trucks out there, many of which are just fine.

9. Feb 28, 2015 at 1:34 PM
    NYNURSE

NYNURSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rye, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover Window tint
    If you really want a new vehicle, you can use frame rust to justify the buy. If you want to keep the truck, inspect it, have it cleaned and start protecting it. I haven't seen a post where somebody's frame rotted out where the prevention was initiated when the truck was fairly new and continued throughout the years. That's my plan. PM me in 10 years and I'll tell how I made out.

10. Feb 28, 2015 at 1:47 PM
    Riley

Riley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Vancouver Canada
    I was just kidding... about the reading of forums ... I am an old forum guy (IH8MUD for my cruiser, another forum for my G37 and yet another for my IS250). I love cars and trucks and reading and learning. I do most of my own wrenching (on all my vehicles).

I was just commenting that all the info on-line makes it hard to buy anything... but I agree, it's 100% required.

I basically went from a 1 banana mechanic to a 3 or 4 banana from internet forums....

I like the idea of buying new and adding to the fleet and take care of the frame. This will be my "work and highway truck" while my 95 cruiser is my garaged offroader for flyfishing the back woods.

thanks for your help guys as you help me decide to pull the trigger..

11. Feb 28, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    My 2009 has no rust at all but I do not contend with road salts like you would being in BC.

12. Feb 28, 2015 at 4:22 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

My 09 has lots

13. Feb 28, 2015 at 6:47 PM
    RLinNH

RLinNH Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    I just purchased a 2015 Tacoma. Rust worries me a lot. Matter of fact, that's why I traded in my 2008 2500 HD Duramax. Rust hole in the bed, and the frame was rusted all over. I will be taking much better care of my vehicle in regards to rust with this new truck. I'm starting to look into undercarriage treatments, but have yet to find one that looks like it will work. On a brighter note, I am very happy with this new truck. Damn it rides nice, and it's better in the snow in 4 High then my big and heavy Chevy ever was.

14. Feb 28, 2015 at 7:01 PM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
  15. Mar 1, 2015 at 5:35 AM
    BYBO

BYBO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    Indiana
    My buddy is the parts guy at the local dealer. He said that the older frames had plugs in them that people were supposed to pull and clean out every once in a while. Dumbest idea ever, but that's why the frames held salt and started rusting so bad. He said the problem got fixed a few years ago. I have no reason to believe it's a sales pitch, cause he's a good friend and not getting anything out of it.

16. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:35 AM
    timothom

timothom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Access cab sr5
    Kenwood DMX7705S PrecisionPower Phantom 900.4 Alpine type-r 8" Image Dyanmics CXS64.2
    Yea, this is why doing an undercoat is a bad idea. It plugs up holes and drainage and holds the salty water inside the frame...supposedly

OP, if I was you, I wouldn't worry about it. You know you want to get it...so just get it :).

I had a 2006 Silverado and the frame was rusting so bad from 8 Minnesota winter that chunks of rust were flaking off the frame. All of them rust.

17. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:49 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Just had my truck inspected for PA state inspection.... My garage guy said my frame looks good and asked me if I was aware of the frame warranty. I'm glad to hear that he was actually aware of it and made sure that I was aware of it. We talked for a bit about it. A lot of speculation about the frame 'causes' and here's another one from my garage guy....

He mentioned that the 'double wall' frame designs are prone to rusting more so than a thicker single wall design. Makes sense..... more surface area to rust and thinner to rust thru faster. ???? He also mentioned - the 'rust compound' that Toyota is applying only lasts about 5 years. Majority of the rust issues are 'internal' - so it only makes sense that the external rust preventative measures won't last long term.

A lot of folks bust on Toyota for these rust issues - but you also have to BE THANKFUL that they're offering help/recall/warranty.

18. Mar 1, 2015 at 7:42 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    If you live in an area that uses salt, it will rust. I have a 2013 that just went over 20,000 miles and I have rust on my frame.

19. Mar 1, 2015 at 10:12 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    My truck had surface rust in spots when it was brand new on the lot

It doesn't take much

20. Mar 1, 2015 at 10:37 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Yeah, I need to get some type of rust inhibitor. I should have done it when I first got the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top