1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about turning in 4 wheel high

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Being Frank, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    Being Frank

Being Frank [OP] Member

Member:
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Dbl cab TRD Offroad
    So I come from one AWD Infinity SUV and before that, all cars. This is my first actual 4x4 vehicle.

I've used 4 wheel drive now since it's my first snowy winter with the truck. When I'm in 4H, and I try to turn into parking spots, the truck shakes/bucks pretty bad. Is this normal? I'm assuming its due to the front and rear wheels being powered and the decreasing diameter of the inside turn, but it feels like something is going to break on the truck.

It does this even in light snow when parking. On dry pavement you can hear the tires squealing as the truck bucks, even when turning at 2mph.

It's a 2011 TRD off road, and I don't have the locking diff or Atrac turned on (of course since I'm in 4H). All stock suspension and drivetrain.

It's under full warranty so I'm curious if I should take in in to the dealer?

2. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:30 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    That's normal.

Stop using 4H when the road surface is dry or not very slippery.

Unlike your AWD vehicles, there's no center differential at the transfer case so the average rotation speed of the wheels on the front axle has to be exactly the same as the average speed of the rotation of the wheels on the rear axle.

That can't happen when you're turning, so some wheelslip is required.

On a high traction surface like dry or mildly wet pavement, you get the binding symptoms you experienced.

SR-71A likes this.
  3. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:31 AM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    It's just the front suspension that is binding up because the front tires have too much traction. The system was meant to be used when there is little to no traction. Just try to avoid using it when there is too much traction.

AWD was made to work in all types of traction

4. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:32 AM
    ch7794

ch7794 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Mercer,PA
    Vehicle:
    14 super white 4x4 sport
    Pretty normal on any 4x4 vehicle I've ever owned. It usually only happens when at full lock. I wouldn't recommend 4x4 on dry pavement though.

cleats50 likes this.
  5. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Careful using 4hi on dry pavement. You should only engage it on dry pavement if you are traveling in a straight line, other wise what you are experiencing is binding.

Strange with the snow though. I havent experienced binding when the streets have snow and mine is in 4h.

Bucking is not good.

6. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    ErocksTaco

ErocksTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DCSB Sport Radiant Red
    OME 886 and rear Dakars Light Racing Upper Control Arms All pro U-bolt flip with Timbren Bump Stops CVJ Reman axles with off road boots Adventure Offroad Fab Sliders ARB Front Bumper Interior LEDs Weathertechs 2009+ taillights 2009+ headlights
    I try to not use 4x4 in parking lots because of this. Too many tight turns and the turning radius goes to shit even with snow on the ground

cleats50 likes this.
  7. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:38 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Mine is noticeable at full lock in the snow. For instance if I try to parallel park it, it requires more power than usual and only really wants to move when I feel wheels breaking traction to free the binding.

8. Mar 3, 2015 at 8:45 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    That means you are in a situation where 4WD is not needed.

I rarely use 4WD on snowy roads, only when it's icy or the snow is deep enough to be slippery.

9. Mar 3, 2015 at 9:39 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Define light snow?

You could easily get that affect even with a light coating of snow. If it's doing this, you're clearly getting more traction than you think. Just stop using 4WD so frequently. I've read people here talk about using 4WD when it's raining even. That's not what it's meant for.

I never use 4WD out on paved roads unless there's a serious coating of snow that's going to allow slip. And even then I try not to make really sharp turns.

10. Mar 3, 2015 at 12:20 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You definitely have to 'get accustomed' to the 4WD thing.

Being in 4Hi - regardless of how dry or slippery the conditions are, you can't make really tight turns. It puts too much pressure on the CV joints up front. I've seen many guys blow out CV joints while offroading simply by making tight turns and forcing it.

So, when you're out and about....in 4Hi ..... when you make turns, just be aware of the turns. Take wider turns than normal. When you feel the truck bucking & shaking, ...DO NOT FORCE IT. Try to straighten the wheel a bit and/or even let off the gas and let the truck 'coast' thru the turn. When you get straight again...you can apply the gas again.

When I'm in parking lots and have to park, I will take it out of 4WD just to pull into a parking space.

11. Mar 3, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Turning tightly in 4WD will cause binding even in deep snow , I pretty much always use 4HI when there is snow on the road

12. Mar 3, 2015 at 1:06 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    tacoma has 4wd, also called part time 4wd,

no center differential, so front shaft speed will not want to match
    rear shaft speed when in any type of turn. it -will- end up matching
    speed but by fighting grip to do it

it causes binding which, if not too severe a turn, just wears out your tires more
    if in a severe turn, the pressure can work hard on the cv's, u-joints, and transfer case
    if really abused (like, you ignore the fact you are in 4wd on dry pavement like, always)
    it might break something...but a little binding is normal just don't gas it. if you plan
    on taking a sharp dry turn in 4wd, slap it in 2wd before you get there...or just go slow

the tranny, cv's, u-joints, transfer case are all stronger than the tire grip, so it won't just
    bust anything...just don't make a habit of it or it might bust something when the truck gets older

other vehicles (usually not trucks) have AWD or full-time
    doesn't matter what you are doing a center differential takes care of it

some vehicles have both AWD, and part-time modes. this is when you
    take an AWD off road you want more guarantee 50% the power is going somewhere
    up front, switch to part-time...whereas with AWD it may not be balanced 50/50

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  13. Mar 3, 2015 at 1:09 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    An AWD vehicle will normally run rings around a 4x4 on ice and snow unless the snow is deeper than the frame. The 4x4 should ONLY be engaged for off road or if you are stuck in snow. You can damage the 4x4 system otherwise. Never use it just to drive with even in snow. If other two wheel drive vehicles are running with no problem then there is no need to engage 4x4.

14. Mar 3, 2015 at 1:15 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

:rolleyes:

Using 4HI in snow on road is fine

15. Mar 3, 2015 at 1:18 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Make wide turn, dont turn the steering wheel to the stop, if you have to have it 4WD only go about 2/3 of the way. You'll be fine.

16. Mar 3, 2015 at 1:19 PM
    mcgov303

mcgov303 I'd rather be in the mountains

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2015 BRM TRD Off Road 4x4
    Toytec 3" w/ AAL, Leer 100R, 16" SCS F5s, 265/75 KO2s, pro grille, cmc
    ya, take it from the guy in TX

knottyrope likes this.
  17. Mar 3, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    savedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My point was that if it is unnecessary don't engage it. As for it being alright, true as long as you do not hit bare surfaces and corner. The OP is clearly no experienced using a 4x4 so he needs to take extra precautions or he is likely to damage his system. ;)

18. Mar 3, 2015 at 1:23 PM
    savedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
  19. Mar 3, 2015 at 1:23 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    LOL

20. Mar 3, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Exactly , he's a newb , so give him the facts not that " never engage it ever " BS

it's fine , even if you run over dry patches it's fine , as long as you don't turn sharply when there is no surface slippage

Products Discussed in

To Top