1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are you surprised the outgoing Tacoma beat the incoming Colorado?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomanto, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:34 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    We at TW have already declared that the Colorado is far superior to the Tacoma, there is no need to argue any further , we have spoken.

2. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:34 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    bye? :wave:

3. Mar 6, 2015 at 4:11 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    :facepalm:

4. Mar 6, 2015 at 4:23 AM
    keith88lx

keith88lx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mount Prospect
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I literally test drove a Z71 minutes before the Tacoma. I bought a Tacoma explains it.

The Z71 drove good, comfy, has a lot of features that the Tacoma didn't have. But, I remember some youtube reviews talking about how old looking the Tacomas dash and speedo/tach were. While driving the Z71, the speedo looked really plain and my sister-in-laws Chevy Sonics dash looked better.

But, what came down to me is quality. What will the quality of the Z71 be in 5 years? Will I look at the new body in 5 years and say the same as I look at the old Colorado now? Yuck. I've been looking at these Tacomas for 10 years and still say "man, thats a good looking truck and it still runs" and "man, for a 5 year old Tacoma with high miles, that is still pricey" while looking at used one on Car.com.

So, no I am not surprised the outgoing Tacoma beat the Incoming Colorado.

5. Mar 6, 2015 at 4:34 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    That's total nonsense.

GM did because their last Colorado/Canyon could not have been much worse failures.

The Tacoma is far away the sales leader, has dramatically better resale, and still gets generally good reviews when compared against a 10-year-newer truck. No, they do not need to "start from scratch." :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  6. Mar 6, 2015 at 4:38 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Once we get our hands on it, I believe it will prove to be a totally new truck.

7. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    stokka

stokka Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Month ago, after considering GM and Nissan went with Toyota.

I will get flamed for this, but I feel that anyone who thinks that the "big three" stepped up the quality game has to be on drugs.

They are rolling out the same undercoocked vehicles and their attitude is either the same or worse then before. They just do not get it.

8. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    This is the last place where you will get flamed for that statement.

9. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    No surprise at all, not trying to sound like a fanboy but Toyota owns this segment. They have ever since the first 4WD Pickup was imported into the States in 1979, they are the reason the domestic manufacturers came out with compact/midsize trucks in the first place! So there you have it, I am not surprised at all that the 10 year old Tacoma design still beat the new Colorado and Canyon. Build quality, longevity, and resale value, something that GM can't seem to hold candle to. They build nice looking trucks, but that's about it, they look nice on the outside but the inside they eventually turn into a mess and fall apart. My 11 year old first gen still looks brand new inside, take a 3 year old Chevy truck and check out how well the interior is holding up.

When I was growing up, my Dad bought a brand new 2003 Silverado 1500 new for his business. We only had the truck for 3 years before the interior started falling apart at a rapid rate. Not only that but it was a piss poorly advertised truck, it was supposed to get in the 20's for MPG wise and never saw much more than 12, it was greatly underpowered to boot among other things. He put up with that pile until about 2008 and traded it in on a Duramax, still a Chevy, but a much better truck than that 03 he started out with. At least the diesel truck had hauling power, and got decent mileage.

10. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:45 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Right on. The Tacoma is one of those styles that remained relevant over the years. It has classic lines that have aged pretty damn well. Most cars/trucks look awesome when they first come out, but dont age well at all. Look at 10yr old ram, looks like it got beat with the ugly stick, now look at a 10yr old Tacoma, its a classic beauty. Time will tell if the Colorado will look good years down the road, or will it end up aging like the rest of them.

11. Mar 6, 2015 at 9:04 AM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Take a look at the Dakota too...

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

12. Mar 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM
    520Toyota

520Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    C.V.
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    dcsb 6spd 4x4 offroad
    Ome lift
    Funny how some members have a hard on the Colorado. Get rid of your tacoma and go to the other side. What's the wait?

13. Mar 6, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    Koakine88

Koakine88 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kapolei, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 AG TRD PRO (6 MT)
    I too was faced with this over the past few months while shopping for a truck. I was first set on a Frontier, to save a little $ and I remembered years ago I had one as a rental and loved it. Then I heard about the new Colorado, and really started to consider that. The re-design looked nice on the outside, and it put up good numbers, but the interior just didn't do it for me. I also started seeing so many quality control issues popping up with new owners on forums which scared me a little, also the price of the truck escalated quickly when I added options, and packages I'd want. I almost went back to the Frontier, mainly based on what people told me of how the dealerships mark up the prices on the Tacomas here due to the rediculous popularity of them in Hawaii. I gave it a shot though, and priced one out and was surprised it wasn't that much more than a Frontier. The resale value of Tacomas in Hawaii, also mirrors their popularity, so for me the choice was easy.

A week into ownership, and I'm very happy with my purchase.

14. Mar 6, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Ive been telling these guys for the past year to stop bitching and buy what they want. They just won't leave.

15. Mar 6, 2015 at 2:00 PM
    judgeman6970

judgeman6970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Long Island, NY
    THIS...you just have to read thru their forum a little bit to figure this out.:)

16. Mar 6, 2015 at 4:33 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I just did. Apparently they have quite a few issues on the new Colorados and Canyons. Some petty quality control issues, but some pretty significant problems too!

Products Discussed in

To Top