1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I Cant Use Auto LSD in 4wd

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MikeDeason, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Mar 5, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    This is why I am glad I no longer have these problems with my first gen, none of that crap came with them, only annoying thing is ABS. But when I had my 2011, I hated the auto lsd, traction control and all that other driving for dummies junk. I thought all those things made driving on slick surfaces more dangerous if anything, but then again, I'm used to driving vehicles without it. Maybe it's a vice versa situation for people that are used to driving with it.

2. Mar 5, 2015 at 4:22 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Yep

3. Mar 5, 2015 at 8:56 PM
    MikeDeason

MikeDeason [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    WHY....WHY.....WHY....just give us all a locking rear and front diff an FUDK all the other stuff

"*Also, in 2WD you can have 'enhanced' LSD with even heavier braking action to the spinning tire with a quick push of the VSC Off switch, which turns on 'AUTO LSD'.
    Only in 2WD can you go into AUTO LSD. Since we have 4WD, I would think using it would be even better than AUTO LSD? Perhaps helpful for those with only 2WD."

So why the ffff even put it on a 4wd

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  4. Mar 6, 2015 at 6:06 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I am nearing 100k on mine, all I do is replace gear oil every 20k miles or so.
    20 k miles may seem as often but friction additive seems to wear out at the point.
    My Limited slip gets abused and I mean really really have to work hard.
    To give you idea of my place.... I blew 4wd on my CRV which also uses clutch packs. The difference between two.
    Toyota uses nothign but steel plates. Honda have |steel|fiber|steel|fiber|..... setup. If thats what Ridgeline uses I feel pain for Ridgeline guys.
    Its going to cost me $200 in new Honda clutch packs and seals but it should run like new. Most people simply remove 4wd in older Hondas, I am going to replaced clutchpacks and see what it gives me.

BTW, Clutchpacks are replaceable on Hino too, but since they all steel plates not sure if they ever wear out.

5. Mar 6, 2015 at 6:11 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Toyota is cheap, they stop offering mechanical Limited Slipp and went to Walmart quality trash control.
    If you need more then open differentials than you need to install aftermarket unit.
    It sucks because when they offered as part of factory you had choice and easy way to get it, now you have to find a reputable shop, pay extra etc etc.

6. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:59 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
  7. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:02 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Because BlueT NEVER makes assumptions :rofl:

BTW I do agree with him though that they chopped the true LSD because it saved them a few bucks. If they really wanted to give us something computerized that is almost better then a LSD for Offroad they would of put ATRAC on everything but the base model Tacoma.

8. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:22 AM
    KDOG

KDOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Belleplain, NJ
    Bilsteins, OME 884s, 3 stage progressive AALs.
    Interesting thread. I actually didn't realize that VSC/Traction Control stayed on in 4WD until yesterday when I took a turn a little to "snappy" and it started blinkin' and beepin'. Hmmm...I am also in the group that needs to go out and fool around with all of it.

9. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:43 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    i am VERY impressed with the auto lsd function in 2wd on my TRD OR 4x4... and atrac is simply amazing.

10. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:46 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I was really against Traction Control on 4WD trucks until I had my Tacoma. It makes it way easier to keep my back end in control with the S/C than it is without.

11. Mar 6, 2015 at 9:00 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    there has been stuff that i just wasnt getting up at all unless i bombed the hill / obstacle.... a tap of the atrac button and i crawled right over.

As far as audo lsd in 2wd, it does a dang good job, right about the same / better than a standard mechanical lsd for small obstacales etc.... but if i wanna mess around this is what i have a locker for!

In your case about the only thing it sounds like that would help you would be a front locker and skinny pedal!

12. Mar 6, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    off road

off road Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2015 Double Cab TRD OR 4X4 & 2013 Reg Cab Base 4X4
    OP....read the 2012+ part in this link, for your 2015.....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/310726-traction-controls-2009-2014-a.html

You do get LSD by default, when you go into 4H (not pressing any buttons). In reality, it is Auto LSD front and rear, but with engine output regulation. Pressing the button once quick in 4H, will give you the same LSD, but without engine output regulation (TRAC OFF).

If you have a Sport rather than an OR, by all means do the Yellow Wire Mod, and you will get LSD in 4L (same as 4H, but it is not A-TRAC), rather than the default open diffs. Big improvement!

Toyota needs to have David K, write the owner's manual....

Last edited: May 17, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top