1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What the Rationale Behind Your Configuration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MikeDeason, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Mar 5, 2015 at 9:18 PM
    MikeDeason

MikeDeason [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Always wondered why someone would option an access cab over a dbl and a short bed over a long...and Auto vs M...4wd pretty obvious. Trim levels generally are chosen due to finances.

Mine LB 4wd dbl cab automatic==max room needed for wife kids carrying stuff and lots of stop go traffic and we get BIG snow

Most curious about why dbl cab SB exists and why manual is an option on the dbl cab lb's.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. Mar 5, 2015 at 10:37 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I have an Access cab because I wanted a small truck and tend to haul more stuff than people so 5 ft bed was never an option to me. Also I wheel it and the DCLB trail limo is alittle too long for me.

If I needed people space and didn't haul stuff I'd get a 4 runner. If I wanted more passenger room and a long bed I'd get a full size.

3. Mar 5, 2015 at 10:42 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Different needs for different people. Same reason some would need a full size as opposed to a mid size, or a car rather than a truck.

4. Mar 5, 2015 at 10:57 PM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
    I had no other option, in Mexico there are only DCSB...

But for my needs it's perfect... I like to travel with family (DC) and I dont use the bed that much...

Also, in this city, you don't find many big parking spaces!

5. Mar 6, 2015 at 1:57 AM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    Wanted something the same general size as my 1st Gen Tundra which meant a 4drSB or ACLB. Was really tired of the AC on my Tundra (mainly the suicide doors vs normal opening doors). Was getting rid of my car so that meant 4 doors to haul people, and I've got the Tundra for the real dirty work so got the 4drSB. As for trannies, as I've gotten older the allure of clutches and stick shifts has faded...getting lazy I guess. Pretty much everything I've owned for the last 15 years or so has been an Auto with the exception of my FJ 40, but I've had that for almost 30 years so it's a throwback. If I was building it today I'd use an Auto in it also.

6. Mar 6, 2015 at 2:48 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Depth of my garage meant access cab or DCSB. Chose bed length over a useable back seat; my grandkids were/are small. Since then I've picked up my enclosed trailer. When it's time to replace my current truck, it'll be a DCSB. I rarely need the full bed length, on the occasions I might, I now have both an enclosed and a flatbed trailer. I went manual trans out of nostalgia I think. After driving my wife's 2014 Highlander some, I'm relatively sure next truck will also be an automatic trans.

7. Mar 6, 2015 at 2:50 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    OK ;)

8. Mar 6, 2015 at 3:01 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    base (5 lug) 2wd, auto, 4 cyl., Access cab, long bed, convenience package

1) Inexpensive TCO

2) I wanted the in cab storage for fishing gear, tools for projects etc.

3) From an overall size and looks standpoint I'd have rather had a 1st gen, but from a practical standpoint my '13 was a better choice

I have a Highlander if I want to take a trip or haul people. The truck is for kayaks, bicycles and HD/Lowes runs, as well as a second piece of transport.

In other words, it's 'purpose selected' not a dream car.

9. Mar 6, 2015 at 3:07 AM
    TheProf

TheProf Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    My wife insisted on the Tacoma vs. a full-size (my previous truck was a full-size extended cab). I said I at least had to get a long bed, because I have no room to store a trailer and need the ability to haul 10 ft lumber, 24 foot ladder on occasion, etc. IMO, with a 5' bed it is barely a pickup. DC because the family takes it to camp, skiing, etc on occasion. Auto because the manual cannot be found with the DCLB, plus I occasionally tow a boat and prefer an automatic for towing.

Regarding trim lines, it is not always about what one can afford. I could have afforded more, but I have no need for an offroad or sport package, and the SR5 is more than enough luxury for me. All I needed was 4wd (for winter driving) and a tow package; if the more basic SR had been available with a DCLB 4wd, I would have bought that.

Sometimes, it is all about compromises.

10. Mar 6, 2015 at 5:49 AM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    My truck is pretty much for camping only, so that drives most of the configuration options.

DC - Need to fit my family in it for the next 20 years. An AC would just be too small, particularly for 1000 mile road trips hitting various national parks. So DC to keep the family happy. Since I won't carry anything big and long, just lots of camping gear, the DCSB vs ACLB is sort of zero sum trading bed storage space for cab storage space. In fact having run an old RC for a long time now I know there are certain things (like camera gear and clothes) that I'd prefer storing in the larger cab anyway.

SB - Three reasons. I wanted TDR OR which only comes SB (though of course you could mod a LB TRD Sport to get close). I wanted the shorter wheelbase as I drive on some tight and narrow tracks. I didn't need the longer bed as I'm installing a Flip Pac and once open the living footprint is the same regardless of bed size.

V6 - I've been driving a '92 4 cyl 22RE for a long time and while I loved it the only reason I didn't have a V6 was that the 3VZ-E engine was an absolute disaster. So I've been crawling up passes at 35 mph for the past 15 years and would like to go faster now. The 1GR-FE appears rock solid and so this time I went V6.

AT - While my wife drives stick at least a good as me, off road she'd be more comfortable with an AT. In addition I now see little advantage at all to the MT compared to the AT, in fact the AT brings some features not available on the MT with the TRD OR package. I understand why people love to have an MT (my DD is a MT) but I'm a pragmatist and in this case the AT just makes more sense for my use.

TRD OR - Hard choice between base, SR5 and TRD OR. I would replace the suspension and tires on all three. But looking at the prices differences and features in the end the TRD OR won out for me, mainly because the e-locker will be just fine for my needs when combined with A-TRAC. There was no way I was going to do air lockers on a lower trim package. The TRD OR tires and suspension sold used will make up some of the difference as well.

Tow Package - I'll actually remove the receiver hitch to save weight, but I did want the larger alternator and if I ever tow anything in the future having the trailer wiring in there already is good. Also good for resale, though I expect to own for 20 years. Very reasonably priced option and nearly impossible to get a V6 without it anyway.

As to why the DCSB is so popular in general for people that use it as a DD rather than like my camping vehicle? I strongly suspect it is just an image thing. People need the space for the family but SUVs have become a soccer mom mobile. So a DCSB provides the space for a family while dad can still pretend to be a manly man. If you watch the advertising that is exactly how all the truck companies sell the DCSB configurations and I assume their multimillion dollar marketing departments know who their market is and how to con them into buying. But that's just the average Joe, probably not most of the folks here on TW.

11. Mar 6, 2015 at 6:06 AM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    DC - I had the "family" vehicle (until I modded it so much that no one likes to go long distance in it...this may have been on purpose :D)

LB - because trail limo!!! When I got the truck, I was working for a courier company. Long bed was [unfortunately] a necessity back then.

V6 - Because MOAR POWAH [​IMG]

Auto - because DCLBs didn't seem to exist with manuals :frusty:

SR5 - wanted TRD OR but again...DCLB. (Now locked/locked on 35s though so I guess I don't mind anymore...)

Towing package - I tow. I used to tow a LOT. Took a 9000 lb camper from Orlando, FL to around Macon, GA. Definitely needed the extra trans cooler and I would have been using my trailer brake controller if the brakes on that trailer worked... :blahblah:

(and props to /u/DVexile for a good format :D)

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  12. Mar 6, 2015 at 6:20 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Double cab because I like having the extra space so not everything has to go in the bed. Also nice if I go somewhere with friends since it's big enough for adults in the back seat. Some joke that I bought the family truck which is ironic because I don't want kids.

Long bed partially because it's what I found, but I'm glad I have it. There have been many times where the 6 ft bed has been "just enough."

TRD Sport, again partially because it's what I found, but some of the TRD stuff is much better than SR5 (seats, auto-dimming rearview mirror, compass/outside temp gauge, bed outlet, appearance, etc.)

4x4 because I will never have a vehicle that isn't 4WD.

I believe double cab long beds are V6 AT only, but I don't think I'd change either one anyway. Certainly not the V6.

13. Mar 6, 2015 at 6:29 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    Double Cab Long Bed because thats the truck my parents bought me when i was 16 :D

so thankful for them, love the long bed for loading dirtbikes, fourwheeler, or just hauling in general.

Double cab is obviously nice for carrying more than one person, even though it is cramped back there.

I'd probably get a short bed if I were to get another Tacoma, just like the look a little better

14. Mar 6, 2015 at 6:29 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    trutthhhhhhhhhhhh

15. Mar 6, 2015 at 6:33 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I've managed to make it 40 years without knocking anyone up. As a reward, I get to have an access cab!

16. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:02 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    ac trd or

need space behind seats for crap

don't need 4 doors

do need a real bed not a grocery-getter mini-bed

I do need that locking rear diff I use it 4 times a week to get to my cabin
    it is not 100% required if I drive faster but the chin of the tacoma will
    smack into rocks if I am going faster than walking speed...
    if I creep no rock smash but then the wet stumps and logs stop me...
    with locker it finds the traction and I get past them stumps

and keeping it stock except for tires, shorter mud flaps, and seat covers because
    no one really gives a crap about mods, and resale is always higher when people
    see the vehicle has not been kajiggered with (depends on what mods really).
    I don't ever plan on selling it but just in case the asteroid hits and I am down on my luck I'll dump it

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  17. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:27 AM
    ancient11

ancient11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    2019 4 cyl srsx ac
    The little, inexpensive, economical, hobbit single cab. Less to wash, easier to park....but with a 6' bed. Everything you need, nothing you don't

18. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    4 Doors because I have two kids. Short bed because I wanted something a little shorter for the trails (still a long beast IMO).

19. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:36 AM
    mshultz

mshultz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wooster, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red
    Same here. I wanted the smallest, cheapest 4WD that had at least the cargo capacity of my 2006 Ford Focus wagon. I do not need to haul more than one passenger.

20. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    Blze001

Blze001 Breaks things.

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB
    I had decided I wanted a 4-door, 4x4, stick-shift small pickup due to semi-frequent family camping trips with a trailer in the mountains.

I ended up with a TRD Sport because it was the only 4-door 6-speed in the area.

Products Discussed in

To Top