Notices

BURNT Headlight Mod

Old 10-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
BURNT Headlight Mod

OK THIS REALLY SUCKED HAHA, so i tried to do the black headlight mod today, read through everybody's posts about it and the different oven temps, everyone said the original 200 degrees on the first post wasnt enough, ten i saw a 305 degree run and i forgot who but the dood with the black taco said he just did it at 350 degrees. so i figured 6 minutes will be plenty at 300 degrees right? oh it was plenty enough to melt my lense on my headlight , so now i'm just ordering the HID projectors off of ebay . forced modifications as the result of a screw up on my behalf is all i really do lol....i'll put up pics of the headlight and my truck with a missing front end tonight
Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
OK THIS REALLY SUCKED HAHA, so i tried to do the black headlight mod today, read through everybody's posts about it and the different oven temps, everyone said the original 200 degrees on the first post wasnt enough, ten i saw a 305 degree run and i forgot who but the dood with the black taco said he just did it at 350 degrees. so i figured 6 minutes will be plenty at 300 degrees right? oh it was plenty enough to melt my lense on my headlight , so now i'm just ordering the HID projectors off of ebay . forced modifications as the result of a screw up on my behalf is all i really do lol....i'll put up pics of the headlight and my truck with a missing front end tonight
See! That right there is why i am not doing it myself! i know i would either get distracted by the TV or get drunk and pass out and forget about the light and by the time i took it out the kitchen would be full of smoke and the light would just bee a pool of melted plastic!

Sorry to hear about your accident Turd. at least you have an excuse to upgrade now
Old 10-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
See! That right there is why i am not doing it myself! i know i would either get distracted by the TV or get drunk and pass out and forget about the light and by the time i took it out the kitchen would be full of smoke and the light would just bee a pool of melted plastic!

Sorry to hear about your accident Turd. at least you have an excuse to upgrade now
yea and i didnt even forget about the damn light! lol it was too much heat and 6 minutes was too long, but here are the pics of the light and the resulting front end of my truck for the time being haha
Attached Thumbnails
BURNT Headlight Mod-hedalight.jpg   BURNT Headlight Mod-tacofront.jpg  
Old 10-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i did mine at 300 for like 7-8 mins and nothing like that happened to mine until i picked up one of them and touched the lens to the element.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i did mine at 300 for like 7-8 mins and nothing like that happened to mine until i picked up one of them and touched the lens to the element.
yea i dont know what happened then, did you clean the lens before u put it in the oven? i wiped mine down but i didnt use an oil or grease remover on it
Old 10-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea i dont know what happened then, did you clean the lens before u put it in the oven? i wiped mine down but i didnt use an oil or grease remover on it
Did you still have the oven on? The procedure (I think) is to pre-heat the oven then shut it off. After you turn the oven off, then you put the lens in and start the timer.

I have not done this mod myself, so I may be wrong, but that is what I think I remember reading somewhere.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah...that was putting it in and turning the oven off
Old 10-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Did you still have the oven on? The procedure (I think) is to pre-heat the oven then shut it off. After you turn the oven off, then you put the lens in and start the timer.

I have not done this mod myself, so I may be wrong, but that is what I think I remember reading somewhere.
yea i just found out that you arent supposed to leave the oven on but oh well, hey right now two of my wheels are laying in the lawn with the truck on a jack cuz i'm spray painting the wheels black
Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
yea i just found out that you arent supposed to leave the oven on but oh well, hey right now two of my wheels are laying in the lawn with the truck on a jack cuz i'm spray painting the wheels black
u definately gotta put up pics of that when ur done....
Old 10-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
u definately gotta put up pics of that when ur done....
yea i'm for sure going to put up the pics, i only got the drivers side done but it was dark out so we didnt finish the other 2, i will in the morning. i did take a pic with my buddy shining his headlights at the truck so u can kinda see the wheels but it is a cameraphone at nite, here is an idea of what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
BURNT Headlight Mod-blk-taco.jpg  
Old 10-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #11

remember how i melted my headlight the other day because i didnt know to turn off the oven?? well i decided screw the HID projectors, i dont wanna take the chance of them being crappy quality so i'm just getting a used passnger side headlight and trying the black headlight mod again. anything else i should know before i fire up the oven again?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #12

here is a daylite pic of my newly black painted wheels. these are the 16inch trd offroad wheels w/ stock tires
Attached Thumbnails
BURNT Headlight Mod-blkwheels.jpg  
Old 10-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG3 View Post
Yeah, the theory is great, and I'm sure the theory is backed by good solid science. I'm curious about a real world test though. I'll be interested to hear the results.
I'll post my results when i find a woman that makes double what i do and actually likes me....
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #14

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Turd: You're truck must have looked like hell for a day or two. The front grill off, one melted headlight and sitting on jacks with the wheels thrown out in the yard! You have some serious balls trying that mod again after what happened to your last light. How much was the replacement light?

Also, i have been wanting to see blacked out off-road rims for a long time. I was considering doing that to mine. I think i'm gonna buy some black baja rims bu i wouldn't mind seeing a better pic of yours to help me decide. do you think you could post a few more pics of your painted rims? Maybe a closeup so i can get a good look?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Turd: You're truck must have looked like hell for a day or two. The front grill off, one melted headlight and sitting on jacks with the wheels thrown out in the yard! You have some serious balls trying that mod again after what happened to your last light. How much was the replacement light?

Also, i have been wanting to see blacked out off-road rims for a long time. I was considering doing that to mine. I think i'm gonna buy some black baja rims bu i wouldn't mind seeing a better pic of yours to help me decide. do you think you could post a few more pics of your painted rims? Maybe a closeup so i can get a good look?
haha i'll take the balls reference as a compliment, and yea my truck looked like it had gone to hell and back but the paint was still fine despite the heat anyway, the new light was $100 off of ebay, bought it from a guy that just got the new projectors so this is a perfect light with 2000 miles on it from the factory. it should be here by later on this week (i'm so tired of driving with one headlight and a grille!) so thats when i'll try out the BHLM again, with the oven securely in the OFF position this time i'll put up pics of that when i'm done. i painted the toyota badge on the grille black, i still have to do the rest of the emblems in black and i spray-tinted the 3rd brake light already, still have to black-out the stock taillights and tint my fog lights yellow for ricer/jdm purposes lol...

here is a close up pic of my wheels. keep in mind this was a quick job, by no means did i take my time or do it right. i lightly sanded and then cleaned the wheels first, but i used no primer and cheap spray-anything spraypaint. just some krilon gloss black that said it stuck to metal. so i half-assed this one big time but i wanted to see how it looked before i really took the time to do it right ya know, and even with this being a fast job it still came out alright.

PS- the plastic center caps with the toyota logos never came out right. i used the same paint as the wheels on one pair, on the other pair i used the gloss black krilon plastic paint, and all four caps turned out faded looking so i still have to figure out something for those
Attached Thumbnails
BURNT Headlight Mod-wheel.jpg   BURNT Headlight Mod-hedalight.jpg   BURNT Headlight Mod-tacofront.jpg  
Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 PM   #16

sorry for the constant camera-phone pics, i never have an actual digicam with me so this is easier, plus i just text it to my email and upload the pics straight to here so it's faster lol, in the daylight tomorrow morning i'll take a few more pictures in the sun and post them tomorrow, the close-up of the wheel here was taken at midnight last night in a car wash bay haha
Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #17

nd's Tacoma Gallery
your poor truck.... BTW, i like the white truck black accessory look. The rims look good too, especially for a cheap half ass job!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #18
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to do my rims like that, if people didn't know it was such a cheap mod. I'm glad you didn't get those HID lamps. Those things are fugly.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #19

Quote:
your poor truck.... BTW, i like the white truck black accessory look. The rims look good too, especially for a cheap half ass job!
yea i think they came out pretty well for costing me 8 dollars haha, here are a couple more pics of the truck, minus the passenger side headlight you can also see where my exhaust exits on the side before the rear wheel, and i threw one on of my loch ness sticker on the back window with the 3rd brake light haha
Attached Thumbnails
BURNT Headlight Mod-xhaust.jpg   BURNT Headlight Mod-wheelmod.jpg   BURNT Headlight Mod-sideview.jpg   BURNT Headlight Mod-nessie.jpg  
Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I'd like to do my rims like that, if people didn't know it was such a cheap mod. I'm glad you didn't get those HID lamps. Those things are fugly.
the thing is that with the wheels painted and me doing a halfassed job, they still came out pretty well and most people cant tell the difference between the paint, powdercoating or if the wheel was actually that color. i was planning on getting black wheels later on anyway so this will at least keep me happy until then, and i only spent 8 bucks! i put up a couple more pictures just above this post. as for the HID headlights, yea they are a bit too ricey for me so i'm glad i got my new headlight on the way for 90 bucks