1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Main Oil Seal and Serpentine Issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TParkerTac, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Mar 15, 2015 at 7:42 AM
    TParkerTac

TParkerTac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    La Mirada, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 PreRunner 4.0 V6
    American Racing - Ventura Rims, TRD Cold Air, Firestone Air Lift Rear Suspension Helper Springs, Custom Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust Out, After market Heavy Duty Shocks & Struts, Pioneer Touch Screen Stereo W/Backup Camera, e3 Spark Plugs....
    Last night, heard a strange noise, kinda slapping sound under the hood, fortunately was pulling into my driveway. Noticed a strong smell of burning oil and oil dripping from underneath. Got it into the garage, popped the hood, and found that my new Serpentine Belt was shredded pretty badly and strands wrapped around pulleys and fan, plus oil everywhere, which stopped leaking after the engine was turned off..... Can't figure the belt shredding up the way it did, and need to know if anyone has a take on what happened, I think I have a main crankshaft Seal blown, still, why would my belt suddenly fail, a new on at that? HELP!!!

2005 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner 4.0L V6.......

2. Mar 15, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    is it possible you didnt have it aligned properly and it came apart and messed up a oil cooler line or seal?

3. Mar 15, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    TParkerTac

TParkerTac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    La Mirada, Ca
    Vehicle:
    American Racing - Ventura Rims, TRD Cold Air, Firestone Air Lift Rear Suspension Helper Springs, Custom Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust Out, After market Heavy Duty Shocks & Struts, Pioneer Touch Screen Stereo W/Backup Camera, e3 Spark Plugs....
    Read in another forum a guy who had all the same symptoms as mine, a ticking sound followed by the belt unraveling and oil everywhere, a reply stated that the belt fragments could have damaged the main crank seal. Crazy, the idlers all turn freely without squealing, etc., and the belt appeared to be set into the pulley grooves properly. Any special tooling to get the Crank Pulley off for further inspection? Could an Idler have been the issue? Funny, the old belt shows no signs of unusual wear or burning, etc.....fully in tact. Any idea on cost to repair at a Toy Dealer? Thanks Much for your valuable feedback!!!!

4. Mar 15, 2015 at 8:07 AM
    TParkerTac

TParkerTac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    La Mirada, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Checked all hoses and lines, all are in tact thank God, I'm betting its a main seal.....

5. Mar 15, 2015 at 8:30 AM
    TParkerTac

TParkerTac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    La Mirada, Ca
    Vehicle:
    You're probably right about the belt alignment, is there a special too. I need to get the crank pulley off, figure it's torqued on pretty tight and will turn, also, is there special tooling for a seal removal and replacement? How do I know if the belt is properly aligned if it appears flat on each pulley, would think it would be riding high on an edge if not aligned correctly.... Thanks for your help!!!!

6. Mar 15, 2015 at 10:46 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Toyota says use Special Tool: SST 09213-54015 (91651-60855), 09330-00021 to hold the crank while loosening the center crank bolt. And then use the special tool: SST 09950-50013 (09951-05010, 09952-05010,
    09953-05020, 09954-05030) to pull the pulley off the shaft.

I personally just use an impact gun for the center bolt and a generic puller ( home made ) for the puller. A generic puller such as you can find at any good parts house or even Harbor Freight.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top