1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Insurance Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bedlam, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Mar 15, 2015 at 10:21 AM
    Bedlam

Bedlam [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC TRD Sport long bed
    Hi all. My 2013 Tacoma was recently clipped by a hit and run driver while parked on a Chicago street. Damage is not severe, however the front bumper, driver side front quarter panel, and driver front wheel have sustained damage. I have filed a police report for the hit and run, but hold no hope that the perpetrator will be caught; Chicago Police simply have more important things to do than chase down hit and run drivers. I have insurance but have never made a claim so I am entering new territory and have several questions I am hoping some members can answer before I talk to Geico.

I have been considering getting an aftermarket bumper installed, and this seems like the perfect time to do so. With a $500 deductible and other damage to the quarter panel and wheel, how will this be handled by the insurance company? Will they reimburse for the amount of a factory replacement bumper, quarter panel, and wheel minus the deductible and leave the aftermarket bumper up to me?

I have been looking at the ARB bumper and ShrockWork bumpers for quite some time. Any opinions on either of these bumpers?

Ryan

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. Mar 15, 2015 at 10:33 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Might depend on the insurance, but yes, that's how I would expect it to work.

I once made two claims for damage at once. One for some dents from a deer on the driver's side, which happened about 3 weeks after buying the truck brand new, and one for a long key mark on the other side about 5 months after buying the truck.

Since it was from two separate incidents, I incurred a deductible on both sides. So they determined what the cost of damage was for each side, subtracted my $500 deductible, and gave me a check for the remainder.

Shortly after I was stationed in Korea. Looked into getting at least the key mark fixed when I got home, but never did. They wanted about $1000 for the job, and it wasn't worth it to me.

3. Mar 15, 2015 at 10:41 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    This will all depend on your insurance company. Some cut you a check for the price of repair, while others pay the shop directly. I would call them and ask your questions to get an exact answer.

4. Mar 15, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    Bedlam

Bedlam [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC TRD Sport long bed
    Thanks for the responses. I wanted to ask around before I shoot myself in the foot, so to say.

Ryan

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  5. Mar 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    You will get the estimate done and they can cut you a check for the estimate - your $500 if thats they route you want to go.

I am a claims adjuster for a different company - but they all work pretty much the same.

6. Mar 15, 2015 at 11:22 AM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    Depends on the company. I'm an independent agent. Some cut check to shop, some make it a 2 party check(payable to the lender and you) and other to you and/or shop. Only way to find out is call them and see what their process is.

7. Mar 15, 2015 at 11:33 AM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    I think practices vary by region and insurance company. My wife was hit this winter and the perp was a Progressive customer. Progressive was very prompt, sent a person to review, write an estimate, and give us a check for the estimate of damage. They acknowledged that when a repair shop actually started taking things apart for the repair, they may find additional damage, which they certainly did. Progressive was very prompt in funding the repair shop for all the additional damage. I certainly could have cashed that first check, pocketed it, and driven the car with the damage. don't know this for sure, but I suspect, they could have made a much better estimate up front, but they handed me a check that if cashed and kept, would have saved them significant $$$.

File IFR likes this.
  8. Mar 15, 2015 at 11:39 AM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    Yup....this is the route I went with State Farm to replace my front with an ARB.

Products Discussed in

To Top