1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck Essentials

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NewToyo1, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Mar 18, 2015 at 11:47 PM
    NewToyo1

NewToyo1 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 Grey Tacoma TRD-Offroad
    Where I live in about 30mins drive I can be on 4 wheeling trails during the summer....I guess more of a weekend off roader/ daily driver....if that makes sense...lol.

2. Mar 19, 2015 at 12:35 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    You only need 3 things.

Cell phone, to summon help
    Credit card, to buy what you need
    Gun, to take what you can't buy or to coerce help when you can't call

Everything else is just fluff.

3. Mar 19, 2015 at 2:26 AM
    Poindexter

Poindexter Well-Known Member

Member:
    north of Denali
    Vehicle:
    15 V6 auto 4x4 mag gray
    In Alaska if you have to get there, chains for all four corners, plus snowshoes with ski poles for when that isn't enough. Don't get the telescoping poles, those suck. Something warm to pull on over your clothes if you end up in a ditch, hat and gloves. Exposed flesh freezes close enough to immediately starting around -50dF. I think the real "instantly" number is -70dF, but at -50dF you don't have a heck of a lot of time to get your face mask on.

Jumper cables, window scraper.

A set of four ratchet straps will be handy right regular, thirty bucks at Wally World or Cabellas. Ear protection for the shooting range stays in the truck, good phones for you and throwaway cheapies for guests. GPS with reasonable local topo. Beverages.

Now your ready for daily driving.

4. Mar 19, 2015 at 4:41 AM
    F250

F250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Top of my list is an air compressor (not the cigarette lighter type, the type that hooks up to the battery), plug kit, jumper cables, ratchet straps, and flashlight. That's not just for a truck though. Any vehicle I spend a lot of time in will have those tools.

It's surprising how many people don't even know how to plug a tire or jumpstart a car. If you plug a tire quickly, and have an air compressor, that just saved you massive amounts of time either changing a tire, or calling for help.

5. Mar 19, 2015 at 7:42 AM
    TacomaDarth

TacomaDarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road in it's infancy
    C-Clamp Theft Deterrent System (with bonus heat shrink protection), FJ Trail Team Wheels with Duratracs, WeatherTechs. TRD Exhaust, Access Limited Tonneau Cover, Rear Diff Mod to Taillight
    Tow straps, rope, ratchet straps, jumper cables, gloves, first aid kit, flashlight, and music in no particular order. Sure I'm forgetting something.

6. Mar 19, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    rmorse

rmorse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Bowie, MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic Access Cab TRD Sport
    Hookers and cocaine

XCDave likes this.
  7. Mar 19, 2015 at 7:48 AM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    Fleshlight.

moe2o4, crutch024 and Smiley52 like this.
  8. Mar 19, 2015 at 8:18 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Behind/under the back seats: Tow strap, OBDII scanner, various hand tools, tow chain, jumper cables, hitch/ball and 7-4 pin converter, OEM jack/wrench, maglite, scraper/snow brush, two spare windshield wipers (I had one snap a clip and fly off in the middle of nowhere at night once--now I have a backup plan!)

Bed compartments: Rags, bunjee cords, ratchet straps

Glove box: Sets of keys for work, relatives houses, etc. that I rarely use, manual, registration & duplicate license, some simple first aid stuff, gloves, old AT&T cell phone (I figure if mine fails and I need to I can plug it in and make an emergency call)

Center console/other front compartments: spare fuses, life savers (the candy), microfiber cloths, second wallet of store cards that I never use, USB battery pack that's always on charge (for charging phone/GPS/etc. on the go), ring of work keys that I actually use regularly, a few pens, phone charger, sunglasses

I want to carry a small air compressor and a more comprehensive set of sockets/wrenches since I'm limited to pliers, vice grips, screw drivers, and a hammer now. Not sure where to put them so they're out of sight yet secure though.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  9. Mar 19, 2015 at 8:58 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I have this little set I got from working at Hyundai- they don't have spare tires anymore- and it's a small compressor that plugs into the cig lighter and a canister of fix a flat that pops onto it. You can use it without the goop but the entire thing is about 8" across and 6" tall, 3" wide and fits under my rear access cab seat nicely.

Ratchet straps, jumper cables- nice heavy duty ones, Mechanix gloves, scraper, hand towel, handi wipes and travel tissue packs, flashlights, leatherman, screw drivers, bungee cords, a wool blanket (MANY uses), first aid kit, duct tape, spare bulbs and fuses, phone charger, pocket change- a couple bucks, tire gauge, extending magnet.

10. Mar 19, 2015 at 9:08 AM
    ArcherTaco

ArcherTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Greeley/Windsor, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Toy-Tec Kit, Tool box fit to bed, Dipped badges, cab lights, running boards, Flowmaster exhaust
    Get a toolbox. Moar room for stuffs that way

11. Mar 19, 2015 at 9:38 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)

My parents have a tiny one that runs off 120v too. I've used it with the TRD inverter before and it works fine. I think it was only about $20 from Home Depot. Maybe I'll grab one for myself.

Unfortunately, then I lose use of my Tonneau cover. I like having the ability to keep the bed dry and I especially like to be able to keep snow out.

12. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:28 AM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    I shouldn't respond. I know I carry way too much BS

Smiley52 likes this.
  13. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Cell phone? Hope there is service.
    CC? Better to have cash.
    Your reasons for the gun are suspect also.

14. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I have a waterproof tote in the bed under the tonneau. If you move it to the front of the bed and secure it, it's unlikely anyone will get to it before you notice them removing the entire tonneau. I secure my jumper cables, WD40, some washer fluid, some antifreeze and stuff like that in there. I'd really only miss the cables, but again- unlikely they'd go through all of that to get to it. And you can even get locking containers too.

15. Mar 19, 2015 at 3:47 PM
    skootx

skootx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    Yah. Just a suggestion from a fellow gun owner- never joke about that kind of stuff. Say you had to defend yourself, and found yourself in the middle of a homicide investigation. Cops find that post and it could sway a prosecutor.

16. Mar 19, 2015 at 4:00 PM
    16Tacos

16Tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    OME Nitrochargers w/886s & Dakars, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar w/Warn winch, RCI sliders with kick out, IFS & Mid skids, BFF Hi-clearance rear bumper, Brushed Copper 17" SCS Ray10s w/285-70 KO2s, Black OEM 16" steelies w/255-85 KM2s, Leer contractor cap w/Smittybilt overlander xl RTT, Off-Grid Engineering dual battery kit and bed power panel, Blue sea aux fuse block, Wyntner 60L fridge freezer, ARB dual compressor, Pioneer 720BT head unit, CB radio, @Matt_Gecko bed and engine bay lights, @TacomaTruckParts Dirt bike tie down bar, color matched OEM grill, A-Pillar phone mount mod, @Docloco rear seat molle panel
    Hate to admit it but I don't know how to plug a tire :anonymous: Luckily I have never needed to but now that I have a 4x4 Taco and I plan to take it wheeling (once the snow melts) I better learn. Time to hit up youtube!

On my motorcycles I've never wanted to ride on a plugged tire so I just buy new ones. Is it fine to continue to drive or would you replace the tire once you got to wherever you we're going?

17. Mar 19, 2015 at 4:05 PM
    16Tacos

16Tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 SR5
    OME Nitrochargers w/886s & Dakars, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar w/Warn winch, RCI sliders with kick out, IFS & Mid skids, BFF Hi-clearance rear bumper, Brushed Copper 17" SCS Ray10s w/285-70 KO2s, Black OEM 16" steelies w/255-85 KM2s, Leer contractor cap w/Smittybilt overlander xl RTT, Off-Grid Engineering dual battery kit and bed power panel, Blue sea aux fuse block, Wyntner 60L fridge freezer, ARB dual compressor, Pioneer 720BT head unit, CB radio, @Matt_Gecko bed and engine bay lights, @TacomaTruckParts Dirt bike tie down bar, color matched OEM grill, A-Pillar phone mount mod, @Docloco rear seat molle panel
    ... also getting back on topic:

I always carry my toolbox with a full set of tools. A basic emergency kit. I'm installing an air compressor to power my new lockers and air up my tires (incl. motorcycles). Plus what everyone else said except for the Fleshlight :rofl:

18. Mar 20, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    WeberSarge

WeberSarge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ohio, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRD 4X4 Quad Cab , '77 FJ40
    Stock for now...
    I use tire plugs all the time , good kits aren't cheap but worth the money . Don't carry a spare yet on the Cruiser , but instead carry a repair kit . Safety Seal is what I have and seems to work excellent even on large holes . Just be aware that any radial will rust it's belts once punctured and will need to be replaced early .
    Sarge

19. Mar 20, 2015 at 7:48 AM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    Jumper cables, tow/recovery strap, d-ring, air compressor (Viair), fire extinguisher, ratchet straps, 550 paracord, utility rope, flashlight, multi-tool, window breaker/seat belt cutter, small roll of TP, small block of wood (to put under the jack off road), 1 bottle of water

I cant stress how awesome and tiny the Viair air compressor is. They cost about $50.
    http://www.viaircorp.com/portables.html

Just wait for sales to build your collection. Sears runs their craftsman jumper cables 50% off several times a year. You can get a tarp for free at Harbor freight. Costco has the fire extinguishers cheap. I got the tow strap from a $50 gift card I got from 4-Wheel parts. Multi tool was a gift from the NRA.

20140128_184943_zpsq47fdvir_15ae307e2f911a9bfbc9db79fdec56ec11355d26.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  20. Mar 20, 2015 at 7:56 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    jumper cables, flash light, 12V light, air gauge, tie down straps, (winter) sno-broom,
    foam clown nose. [​IMG]

:D

Products Discussed in

To Top