1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rnhrtfan, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Mar 20, 2015 at 6:27 AM
    Rnhrtfan

Rnhrtfan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Super White DCSB TRD Sport
    my 2013 AC 4x4 has developed a "popping" noise in the front end. have only noticed the noise when starting off from a dead stop and most often when in reverse with the wheels turned (either direction it still pops). has happened several times moving forward from stop but haven't noticed it while at speed. It's a pretty loud metallic sounding pop. My old 1993 made a similar sound when the wheels were turned to full lock position but this is in any turned position. anyone have this kind of issue?

2. Mar 20, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    get under there with your tools and see what's loose. something is. probably LCA bolt

3. Mar 20, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Check the sway bar end links.

4. Mar 26, 2015 at 8:40 AM
    Rnhrtfan

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Well, I crawled up under the front end and checked everything and all was tight. Finally broke down and took it to the stealership for them to figure it out (I had taken it in once before for the same noise and they replaced the front shocks... didn't work)... Apparently there is a "cradle" on the front diff with a bolt on top that extends up into the cross member. According to them the cradle has slack in it causing it to shift when I change directions. This shift is causing the bolt to hit the cross member causing the loud "POP"... At least this is what they are saying today... They have ordered a new cradle under the powertrain warranty and will replace it next week... let's hope this works...

5. Mar 30, 2015 at 6:19 AM
    NWONTaco

NWONTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Thunder Bay Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD crew cab V6 4x4
    265/70/R17
    Do you find that this pop is louder when the truck is wet?

6. Mar 30, 2015 at 6:26 AM
    ASUAviator

ASUAviator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'm going to guess its your brake pads and that it typically happens when braking in the opposite direction of travel. That pads are free floating, so when you use them in the opposite direction they shift and 'pop'. Atleast that's what mine do quite noticeably everytime

7. Apr 2, 2015 at 6:50 AM
    Rnhrtfan

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Wet or dry does not effect the issue at all. As for the brake pads, two neighbors both have Tacoma's and my wife drives a 4 Runner and I have heard that noise in those vehicles. The noise in the front of my truck is MUCH louder and can be felt in your feet through the floor board. Almost the sound you would hear if you tapped on the frame rail with a hammer. Truck is in the shop today getting the cradle replaced so we shall see if it helps. I hope so because the next step is the lemon law which I would hate to do, this truck is my third Toyota truck and 13th Toyota vehicle in 20 years with absolutely no problems from any. This won't turn me away from the brand but just hate that it's having the issue because I love the truck.

8. Apr 2, 2015 at 12:09 PM
    Rnhrtfan

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Just got a call from the dealership... cradle is installed and it did not fix the noise... they have ruled out the common brake pad slap... checked all front end components and bolts for proper torque and still have the noise... they are now contacting Toyota Corporate to assist in the issue and will be keeping the truck until it can be fixed... looks like I will be cruising my sons Matrix until something is done on the truck... VERY FRUSTRATED!!!

9. Apr 2, 2015 at 12:30 PM
    Tacorriendo

Tacorriendo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 4x4 Off-Road
    Front lift, ride rite air bags, side steps, rear camera switch.
    I have that same noise on my 2009 4x4 off-road TRD. I noticed the noise gets more frequent and louder on hot days. In the cold days, I could not hear it and if I did, was very minimal. As the outside temperature gradually starts to climb so is the frequency and loudness of the noise, which allows me to suspect that there is a rubber bushing in the mix. Let us know what they find. It will resolve the mystery for many members here.

10. Apr 2, 2015 at 12:48 PM
    Rnhrtfan

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Taco, deffinately sounds like the same noise... I would agree it seems to be more frequent in warmer weather... I was beginning to think it was just me because no one else had said they were having the same problem... I will keep you posted...

11. Apr 2, 2015 at 3:24 PM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    My brand new 2015 does the same thing.

12. Apr 3, 2015 at 5:42 AM
    Rnhrtfan

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Have either of you had yours back in the shop for it? If so what did they tell you?

13. Apr 3, 2015 at 7:42 AM
    Badgtho

Badgtho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD sport 6spd
    TRD exhaust, TRD beadlock wheels, moto xtender
    My '13 does the same thing.
    Dealer heard it but of course found nothing.
    I ruled out CVs, play in the Diff, brake pad slap, spring bind, anything related to the struts.

The thought of a loose LCA bolt is just about the craziest thing I've heard.

I'm normally pretty good at diagnosing noises and this has me stumped.

Subscribed.

14. Apr 3, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    doyouevenprerun

doyouevenprerun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake from state farm
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 TuRD
    just got a simple lift on her
    I would say the tie rod or the LCA bushing.
    You said it's mostly in reverse, both of the above could do that.

Edit:

Your truck is under warranty?! You need to demand a rental car for free of charge! And then have some fun. :)

15. Apr 3, 2015 at 8:38 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    My '12 does it also. No sway bar, Icons and TC uppers and 33"s
    I thought it could be LCA bushings and I have re-torqued everything, ad nauseum. Your dealer will only make things harder to diagnose with their shotgun approach of replacing random parts.

I'm beginning to think its an ever slight CV bind/unbind happening. Nothing really harmful but annoying none the less. But definitely driveline related. Like a bind was created when put in park. OP is your truck an auto trans?

My plan is to let it go until there's a failure or it becomes obvious where pop is coming from. It's not like it does it constantly but only when the truck has been sitting in a parking spot all day and I reverse out.

Subbed to hear of any definitive findings

16. Apr 3, 2015 at 8:41 AM
    Rnhrtfan

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    This is the second time I have had it in for this noise. Shortly after I bought the truck I took it in, they replaced the front shocks. That didn't fix the noise but I have not made too much of a big deal about it because they couldn't find anything else. I just thought OK it was kind of like my old 93 toyota that popped everytime you turned the wheel to full lock. But it has recently started getting louder and more frequent so I took it back in. Like I said in a previous post, this is the 13th total toyota that I have bought at this same dealership so they know me very well and know i don't complain about much. BUT, when you pay $25-$30K and more for a vehicle you shouldn't have to live with this type of noise when you drive it. Especially when you can hear it from across the parking lot and it sounds like your driving a piece of shit. Sorry to vent but I am getting VERY FRUSTRATED!!! If they don't have something on it today I am going to press them for a rental or something off the lot to drive until they do fix it.

17. Apr 3, 2015 at 8:51 AM
    Rnhrtfan

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    Truck is an auto. Mine does it alost every time come to a stop and then move again. deffinately everytime you stop and change direction. I keep takin it back for the track record so when something does go wrong and it's out of warranty they have to replace it and not me.

18. Apr 3, 2015 at 2:54 PM
    ccal

ccal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carmen
    kirtland ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma trd
    2.25 leveling kit
    I had the same issue, it turned out to be the lower cam bolt came loose after dumb asses did an alignment

19. Apr 3, 2015 at 8:24 PM
    Tacorriendo

Tacorriendo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 4x4 Off-Road
    Front lift, ride rite air bags, side steps, rear camera switch.
    Today, I had the rare opportunity ( time is a commodity for me),to actually remove both rock shields and greased up all the U joints front and back. I was going to replace gear oil for front diff, but drain plug is "welded" so I will wait for tomorrow to use the impact wrench. Anyways, like I was saying, I lifted the truck with a floor jack and then lowered very gently. Then I got under it, right in the middle from the front of the truck and my face was looking right at the oil pan. I did this to indentify which side is the noise coming from. The I grabbed the cross support beam and janked it down towards me putting all my weight on it. I heard the clunk first to my left somewhere between the LCA and the CV joint shaft. Then, I pushed hard like doing bench press on the same support beam and heard the clunk again, only this time, I heard it to my right coincidentially around the same area that I heard it on the left. I had replaced my cam bolts a while ago with the upgraded MOOG bolts and also replaced the bushings. Althought I had greased them when I install them, they greased them again at the shop when they did the aligment. Needless to say, I greased them again today, and I noticed the grease ports were loose. Anyways, that did not get rid of the noise, but at least I know now where is coming from. Tomorrow I will do more testing, specially the CV joint shaft and the tie rod shaft. althought it sounds more like the noise is coming from the cam bolts, but it does not explain the other poster having the OEM Bolts on his 2015 and hear the same thing, so I'm ruling out the MOOG bolts.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  20. Apr 3, 2015 at 8:34 PM
    ndcmack

ndcmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough
    Sub'd...Same noise here and most the front end had been replaced, still there...

Products Discussed in

To Top