Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No-cut ABS kill switch

Old 03-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
MAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant future

Name: Michael
MAUL747's Tacoma Gallery
Talking No-cut ABS kill switch

I wanted to do the abs kill switch mod to my truck for on the fly control of the traction babysitters, which this truck is loaded with, but like many others I didn't want to cut the factory harness. I plan on trading my tacoma in for a new gen in a few years so I wanted to avoid cutting the harness and the fear of messin up a brand new $30k truck so I came up with this idea.

Http://[url[/url]=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/455007/cat/500]
I pretty much just put a switch between the fuse socket and fuse for the abs. I used a short piece of wire with a female connector on one end and a male in the other to connect into the fuse socket on one side and to one terminal on the fuse. Then I ran another longer wire from the second post in the fuse socket thru the fire wall and to a switch then back out to the second post in the fuse which completed the circuit. When the switch is turned on anyways.
http://[url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/455006/cat/500][/url]
The only down fall of this way is that you have to cycle the key for the dash lights to go off after you turn the abs off and back on. I haven't tested if the abs is functional after turning it off and back on without cycling the key In theory it should work. the lights stay on because the ECU hasnt ran a check to see that the abs is back on(or at least I think that's why they stay on). If I'm right or not I haven't had a chance to try it yet and I have been wrong a time or two, according to my wife anyways.

Now I know I'm horrible at explaining the process of how I did something so if my directions take you in circles let me know and I'll try to explain better.

EDIT: your abs will not reset and become active again until you cycle the key
Old 03-22-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
thats a BIG fuse.... 50Amp i think... NO WAY those wires you are using are rated for that, let alone the switch.

If you are going to do it this way, DO IT PROPER, with proper awg wires and a relay.

But really... do it the "proper" way

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post6254094

or below if you have a TRD OR

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-way-pics.html
Old 03-23-2015, 04:07 AM   #3
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
This is exactly how mine is on my current truck and on my last one. Except I used a Toyota rocker/fog light switch. I've put about 70k miles on this setup with zero issues.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 AM   #4
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
thats a BIG fuse.... 50Amp i think... NO WAY those wires you are using are rated for that, let alone the switch.

If you are going to do it this way, DO IT PROPER, with proper awg wires and a relay.

Sizing wire for a 12 volt direct current system is different than alternating current. Wire size for 50 amps in an AC system would be a #8 (depending on insulation).

50 amp DC is 16 gauge at 3'.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
Sizing wire for a 12 volt direct current system is different than alternating current. Wire size for 50 amps in an AC system would be a #8 (depending on insulation).

Do you have a chart? I've been looking for a wire rating chart for DC.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 AM   #6
MAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant futureMAUL747 has a brilliant future

MAUL747's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

we all have opinions on what is the "proper" way and like i said this is a option for people that dont want to cut into their factory harness. and its a 30amp fuse and 14ga wire so im sure itll be fine. if not then you can say i told you so while im standing next my to burnt up truck.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:46 AM   #7

MAUL747's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If thats right them im in the clear, its 30 amps and 14ga wire. thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 04:49 AM   #8
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here's the best I could get with my phone. It's a screen shot.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's the best I could get with my phone. It's a screen shot.

I would say this is a good guide but this might not work with your state's code nor automotive DC circuitry.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I would say this is a good guide but this might not work with your state's code nor automotive DC circuitry.
This graph is not for 120/240 residential or commercial industrial 277/480 electrical. As I stated, it's for 12 volt dc.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #11
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
thats right on the cusp with 30 amps at 14awg for ~10 ft.

Either way that switch is a radio shack switch, probably cant handle more than an 5 amps.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #12

MAUL747's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats right on the cusp with 30 amps at 14awg for ~10 ft.

Either way that switch is a radio shack switch, probably cant handle more than an 5 amps.
Your disapproval has been dually noted. I feel safe doing it the way i did it.