1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ooops....Left in 4 wheel drive.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Harley2, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 24, 2015 at 8:51 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Fine

2. Mar 24, 2015 at 7:25 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I think they figure most people aren't stupid enough (no offense) to intentionally engage a part-time 4WD system on dry pavement. It's common knowledge not to do it and there's no reason to ever concider even doing it. On wet, snow, or ice covered pavement you have slippage... not on dry pavement. The owners manual doesn't say alot of things... doesn't mean it's ok to do it. Sometimes you have to think outside the manual. Heres a link you might want to read... check out page 8-9. Enjoy!
    http://log.logcluster.org/response/fleet-management/LOG-2-8-FLEET%20MANAGEMENT-Guide%20to%20Four%20Wheel%20Driving%20-%20Toyota.pdf

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  3. Mar 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

I do it

4. Mar 24, 2015 at 9:08 PM
    2014 tacoma

2014 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO, USA
    Vehicle:
    14 Access TRD offroad
    you'll be fine, I have 8000 miles on my tacoma and 6000 have easily been in 4weel drive since it's only driven when the roads are icy or snowcoverede and my commute is 65 miles one way.. my last 4wd truck was used the same way and has almost 300k on it and there was never a problem with the transfer case or front axle..

I exceed 80mph in 4wd daily and often forget to switch to go in 2wd on a dry road, the best reminder is when you try to turn and it binds up and that is when I switch.. I've also drag raced a 4x4 diesel truck above 100mph in the 1/4 mile in 4 hi and nothing happened except for getting a good launch.:D

5. Mar 24, 2015 at 9:22 PM
    MikeDeason

MikeDeason Well-Known Member

Member:
    This would be an opportune time for an ECU swap.

6. Mar 25, 2015 at 4:55 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    :stirthepot:

7. Mar 25, 2015 at 5:38 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    It wastes gas and wares tires if there is no need to use 4WD then don't but do not panic if after you have driven 25 miles you discover you left in 4WD there is no turn with a radius tight enough to bind it on a public road any way, you will know right away when you make a sharp turn in the parking lot it's time to shift out. I will ask one question how many people have had transfer case or drive line issues with their Tacoma's this does not include the stupid electronic stuff. I’ll answer in a half a million miles or more in 4 different Toyota trucks I never have. There are 10’s of thousands of 4WD trucks out there of all sizes and many of the drivers are candidates for the Darwin awards that being said the streets should be littered with broken 4X4 parts.

8. Mar 25, 2015 at 8:02 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    My mom busted a U-Joint bearing driving her Yukon 50 miles on highway pavement. The road did have a few turns in it but nothing drastic. The truck had about 70,000 km's on it at the time so it was more accelerated wear breaking the bearing than the 50 miles itself causing all the damage. That's all driving 4x4 on pavement does. It simply puts additional stress on the drive line if you turn at all ( or do anything that causes a difference in distance traveled between the front and rear axle), and if a part is worn or weakened its not hard to grasp that you will could some sort of damage.

9. Mar 25, 2015 at 8:36 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    OR if you don't rotate the tires often... and there is a diameter difference between front and back tires with wear.... it will stress the transfer case a bit more in a straight line and wear out tires a lot on dry pavement

10. Mar 25, 2015 at 8:54 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Telling people it's ok to drive in 4WD on dry pavement might be ok if your always driving in a straight line but sooner or later you'll need to turn. If the turn is sharp enough you'll know right away.... with hopfully no damage from the binding and bucking. Why take the chance of damaging your truck... wouldn't it be a better option to get in the habit of only useing it offroad or when slippage occurs? I guess i forget not everyone has dirt roads 5 minutes away and has no other option than to drive in 4WD on dry pavement.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  11. Mar 25, 2015 at 9:25 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just curious... why? :confused:

12. Mar 25, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Exercise the 4WD system as per the owner's manual

13. Mar 25, 2015 at 9:59 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Meh, I use my truck on gravel and goat trails enough that I don't have to worry about exercising the 4WD. OZ do you turn on your A/C a few times in the winter? We are supposed to be doing that to keep the clutch in good condition too.

14. Mar 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    Stubbs07Tacoma

Stubbs07Tacoma Toyota Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    EXPO in the making All Pro Expo Leafs PelfreyBilt front bumper full hoops 20 Inch led bar in bumper AVEC pods for fogs Warn 9500 Front suspension currently being redone
    trucks ruined, trade it in and buy a new one :D

15. Mar 25, 2015 at 10:08 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

vvvv this

16. Mar 25, 2015 at 10:09 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Only if the AC indicator light is on. I'm reasonably sure our Tacomas don't do it automatically. You have to select AC. The only time AC comes on automatically is when you max out the dial in the cold direction.

17. Mar 25, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

oh dear

18. Mar 25, 2015 at 11:11 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Learn something every day.

19. Mar 25, 2015 at 4:17 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    There's where your wrong.
    Check out the Starting and Driving section of the owners manual under Tips for driving in various conditions. It says... "Four-wheel drive models-Toyota recommends not useing four-wheel drive on dry hard-surfaced roads" This is on page 305 of my 2007 manual.

In Toyota's Guide to Four Wheel Drive it says it again... page 8 and 9
    http://log.logcluster.org/response/fleet-management/LOG-2-8-FLEET%20MANAGEMENT-Guide%20to%20Four%20Wheel%20Driving%20-%20Toyota.pdf

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  20. Mar 25, 2015 at 5:22 PM
    Explor

Explor Don’t take the trip ... let the trip take you

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    Apologize for being a bit off topic , but thought I would share the real reason for the A/C comming on with the defrost.
    Ever hear of the Montreal Protocol ? ........... OZ ?
    Anyway , it was a meeting of 16 Nations , I believe ... To develope a plan for reducing the depletion of the ozone layer.
    Ozone depletion or loss is mainly caused by CFC's. (Freon) used in AC systems.
    The worst refrigerant was freon 12 . 12 was used in many "Open" type systems ... By open , I mean compressor motors run by an external motor ... IE ; automobile compressors .... Compressor motor had a shaft , pulley , spun by the motor. A seal ,which worked with the help of oil in the compressor motor.
    Freon 12 was popular for these type systems because of its low operating pressures .... 120-125# high side (condenser) 30-35# low side (evaporator)
    In the old days ... People wouldn't run the A/C in the winter ... The seal would lose the oil film, and the freon would leak out. Oh well , go get it charged up when it's hot out ?
    So .... Millions and millions of cars were spewing out freon 12 ( the worst of the worst CFC's) ... It became law that , (1996) all automobiles had to have the A/C come on with the defroster to prevent the leakage.
    Now it's still in effect , as the seals need oil , but freons are much safer now for the inviroment.
    Freon 12 was the first to be fazed out. Started by asking a ridiculously high price for it. It was better than gold at one point !!
    Sorry if I bored anyone ..... But there Ya have it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top