1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory installed vs dealer installed options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tristar Racing, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Mar 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    Tristar Racing

Tristar Racing [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Chicago IL
    Hey folks,

I had crossed the TRD Pro Tacoma off for purchase last fall when I kept getting jerked around on pricing, but today I got quite the offer on one. The only issue is it has a few options I dont want, mainly a hood protector and tubular side steps.

Does anyone know if these are factory installed options, or are they shipped with the vehicle and installed at the dealer? Also, My assumption is the steps and hood protector are easy to take off. Am I correct? Looking at the install pdf for the hood protector, it looks like there are no extra holes drilled in the hood. the steps are just bolt on, no weld correct?

Thanks for all the help!

2. Mar 23, 2015 at 2:02 PM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    Pretty sure that they are dealer installed options. Get the dealer to remove them from the vehicle and the sticker price if you don't want them.

3. Mar 23, 2015 at 2:04 PM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    My side steps were installed after the factory, before it hit the dealership. I don't know what that step in the process is called though.

4. Mar 23, 2015 at 2:08 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    The steps may be installed at any point between the factory and the dealership. The hood protector was installed by the dealer. Just tell him you don't want them and if they want the sale they will take them off and not charge you.

Toyota doesn't have any approved weld on options at the dealer level that I know of :D. Both of those items are simple to bolt on/off.

5. Mar 23, 2015 at 2:39 PM
    Tristar Racing

Tristar Racing [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Chicago IL
    Thank you all for the info. The truck hasn't made it to the dealer yet, and the salesperson informed me both items are already installed. I will keep pressing about the hood protector.

I'm not getting too excited yet considering I have been hosed on two other would-be deals, but maybe this one will work out.

6. Mar 23, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Tell them "I don't want those items"

You have three options:
    1) They can easily remove the items and remove $$ of the bottom line.
    2) They can remove the $$ off the bottom line (leave the items installed)
    3) You can walk. Because, you're not paying for something you don't want.

7. Mar 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    bigcrab

bigcrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    I think that's called port-installed

8. Mar 23, 2015 at 4:28 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    I agree. Because of the price I got for my Tacoma sport, I kept the bed mat, exhaust tip, wheel locks and sold the floor mats on craigs list, replaced with Husky x-act fits. If you're happy with the deal, just find a new home for the accessories you don't want.

9. Mar 23, 2015 at 6:45 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    The hood stuff and the steps would be "Port Installed" if the dealer does not have the truck yet. Lots of that stuff is installed at the distribution point where the trucks enter the state...got the name "Port" from when vehicles came on ships. The steps simply bolt on to pre-drilled spots under the body and are about a 10 minute removal project. Not sure on the hood protector, but can't be much to remove it. If you are getting what you feel is a good price on the truck, take it and pull / sell the extras. If you think the price is high then use them as a means to hopefully lower the price. A good deal on a Pro is if you get it for msrp or a tad less without an added dealer markup. I got mine for about $800 under msrp.

10. Mar 23, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Thank you! I knew there was a name for it, and that I had heard it before. It's funny because my Tacoma came from Baja, and its "port" was Houston, TX before arriving in Austin. Houston makes sense for the Tacomas and Tundras coming off the San Antonio line, but I guess they all get fit and finished there.

11. Mar 23, 2015 at 8:02 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Oh wow, I didn't notice this deal was on a Pro. Good luck OP, dealers know they have a very salable gem when it comes to the Pro. Prepare for shafting. I doubt he will move on price because he defiantly knows if you don't buy it someone else will for near full price. I'd just do my best at negotiating and accept paying too much if you really want that Pro. I have yet to see someone get the movement on a dealer on a Pro that people get on any other Tacoma package. If I was a dealer I would walk away from a fussy buyer on a Pro and flat out tell them that the truck isn't going to be haggled on because it is something people will pay MSRP for. No use lying and trying to make you believe there's a deal to be had.

Again, good luck though. No reason you shouldn't try to get a deal! Just don't get your hopes up to high considering others experiences.

12. Mar 23, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

If it is " quite the offer " just accept it and move on. Take the items off and sell them or give them away...

Products Discussed in

To Top