1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

progression of tacomas owned

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by commtrd, May 9, 2009.

1. May 9, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    I had a 1992 extended cab with V6 (3.4 I think) and 4wd; 2000 model with regular cab, 4 cyl (2.7) and 4wd. Then a 2007 with double cab and V6 / 5 spd auto trans pre-runner. Now I just got a new '09 access cab 4wd w/ V6 and 6 spd. This one is a TRD sport with trailer tow package and limited slip rear diff etc.

I was almost sick when I sold the 2000 Tacoma...that was probably the best truck I have ever owned but it was too small for what I needed it for. It was also paid for.

Now for the new one: it is a great truck but one problem...it gets horrible gas mileage. I figured since the 2007 had the 4.0 litre V6 and was bigger that this truck would get a little better mileage. I had a bypass filtration setup on the '07 and ran Amsoil synthetic. Best mileage on that truck was 21.74 mpg. With 5 spd auto trans.

On one hand this new Tacoma is awesome...on the other hand the extremely poor mileage just ruins it. I put some larger michelin tires on to help reduce the revs (get it closer to what the '07 was turning at 70) but would have to lift the truck to get tires on big enough to do that. So is it the transmission (6 spd manual) that is geared lower than the auto or does this truck have 4.11 ring / pinion in the differentials? I will get a magnaflow muffler and a drop-in air filter for less intake restriction but ultimately I think the gearing is going to have to change to really fix this problem.

I know I bought a truck and did not expect awesome gas mileage but I did expect to get at least 20 mpg since it is not a full-size truck and does have a 4.0l V6 with a manual trans. First check was a little more than 16 mpg. Will it gradually get a little better with some miles? I plan on putting the bypass filter back on and running Amsoil synthetic again but need to let it break in some first.

Kind of having buyer's remorse that I traded in the '07 to get this truck. Too late now. Any other tips for increasing mileage I haven't found yet? I drive very conservatively already as it is. What kind of mileage does everyone else get?

2. May 9, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    what ive heard about manuals and autos now adays is that the autos are more efficient and get better gas mileage

3. May 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    WoadWunner

WoadWunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    17 Accesscab TRD Offroad Inferno
    Tonneau Cover, Devils Horns on the way, Blackened Grill, LED Low beams and Fogs, weathertecs
    I am getting approx 22 mpg in Canada. It is mixed Highway and city driving and I try and shift between 2 & 2500 RPM

4. May 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    This true...

my '09 DC SB TRD 4x4 V6 Auto gets between 19 and 21...

5. May 9, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Man you go through trucks like I go through boxers! :eek:

By the way,I know what you mean by the 2000 truck! I had 1 just like it and miss it. Like you it was also to small. Great truck tho!

6. May 9, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    Covered here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/6600-anyone-get-20-mpg-4-0l-v6.html

7. May 9, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Yeah I have had way too many trucks, boats, bikes etc. Not proud of that either. Nothing to brag about. Lose a lot of money doing that.

Products Discussed in

To Top