1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer screwed up; want input on new configuration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rmorse, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:02 AM
    rmorse

rmorse [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Bowie, MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic Access Cab TRD Sport
    *SECOND EDIT*

Toyota has declined the order twice. I find out tomorrow what's going on.

*EDIT*

Was fed up with being told that the manager will call me and then never being able to talk to the manager, so I drove to the dealership on Saturday morning. Sat down with the manager and salesman and was continually cutoff by the manager. I was realizing that there was 3 different stories being thrown around, and I was finally able to reach through and let the manager know what was really going on. He understood that I was just trying to get the truck I originally wanted and that I was willing to pay for it, and his entire tune changed. So, by the time I left, he reordered my truck but with the two packages that the salesman told me I couldn't do. Imagine that.

So, at the end of the day, here's the results: I have a 2015 Access Cab, Barcelona Red, V6, Manual, 4X4, SR package, Convenience package and Tow package ordered. Total price out the door was about $29,500.

Dealer is RH Toyota in Reisterstown, MD. Salesman didn't understand what he was selling and would make assumptions about the end product. Because of this, the wrong product was ordered. Manager, once he understood the issue, was great.

*ORIGINAL POST*

So, I ordered my 2015 (and first ever) Taco back in the end of December, and finally went to pic it up last night. Unfortunately, it was not what the salesman said it would be.

I told the saleman what I needed - Barcelona Red, Access Cab, V6, 4X4, Manual, rear window that opens. I also really liked the look of the SR package. So, the salesman ordered the SR package, with my configuration. One catch - the sliding rear window is part of the convenience package, which you can not get on the SR with a V6.

Thankfully, I have my emails where the salesman assured me that the truck I was ordering had the rear window and the leather wrapped steering wheel (which means it has the convenience package), so I was able to show that to the manager.

Long story short, now I have a decision to make. This truck, while it looks awesome, doesn't have the rear window. Doesn't have cruise control. Doesn't even have keyless entry. WTF, it's 2015...how can you not have keyless entry. Anyway, the keyless entry was another thing I was assured it would have before ordering it, even though I don't have that in writing.

Any suggestions on what to do? The manager is looking into adding the rear window, leather wrapped steering wheel and the keyless entry and is going to get back to me today. I'm torn on that though; I'm not thrilled with the idea of my brand new truck having the factory seal broken on the rear window.

I'm kicking around the idea of seeing if they can get me into the same truck but with the SR5 package instead, at the same price. It would be about a 2 grand difference for them. The only thing about the SR5 package, though, is I lose the look of the SR package....I don't get the color matched handles, the color matched mirrors with the turn signals built in. It also has chrome, which I hate.

Any ideas on what to do from here?

tl;dr: Dealer screwed up. Whatdo.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:08 AM
    white91formula

white91formula Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed TRD OR
    If they screwed up walk away or make them fix it. Nothing you did.

Find another dealer

You are paying for it and going to have to love with it for a long time so make sure is exactly what you want

3. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:11 AM
    gw204

gw204 Well-Known Member

Member:
    General question...what dealer did you go through?

If it was Toyota of Bowie by some chance, just walk away. Those idiots can't do anything right.

4. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:12 AM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6
    ^^^^^^^ what he said

5. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:13 AM
    Ian02

Ian02 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Raymond, NH
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma AC 4x4 4 cyl MT
    Bone Stock
    I understand being upset about keyless entry and cruise control, but honestly I like the solid rear window better. No future wind noise or water leak issues.

6. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:14 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Stick to your guns, forgot about the truck they got you, not even close to what you want. It's your hard earned money. Dont buy something knowing you might kick yourself down the road. I say walk, unless they can make you whole on the SR5 you are looking at. The color matched stuff, you can swap out in the future.

I hear you on the rear window too, having one that opens has come in handy in the past. Water leaks and window noise, not much of an isssue IMHO.

7. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:16 AM
    taco 2011

taco 2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
    X2. Honestly i might just bight the bullet and make them add everything you want and give you some kind of warranty with the rear window. If he told you should have something but didn't receive it i would not pay a dime on it and let the dealer add it on to finish the sale. As far as the key less entry you might have to pay for that.

8. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:17 AM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    If the dealership is willing to add the features you want at no extra charge, do it. It will be the truck you want.

replacing the back window is no biggie. make sure up front and get it in writing (email) that all the dealer added options are fully covered by warranty.

9. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:42 AM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    I custom ordered my rig (2013 DC Off Road, MGM, Manual Trans) in May 2013 through Miller Toyota in Manassas after putting down a $1K deposit. In July they called and said "Your 2013 DC SPORT, MGM, Manual Trans has arrived!" :eek: They mistakenly ordered a Sport. :rolleyes: :frusty:

They offered me the Sport but I declined and had them re-order what I wanted and originally spec'd. So in late August / early September I finally received what I wanted, plus they shaved a little $ off.

I'd hold them to what you want and ordered. You're paying for the truck, not them - get what you want!

Good luck!

10. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:54 AM
    rmorse

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Bowie, MD
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input, guys. Couple things to clear up - They can't technically order the truck I want. Toyota won't build it in this configuration (I'm essentially trying to get the SR package and the Convenience package on the same truck). I'll update who the dealer is after they either make it right or jerk me around enough to make me walk.

The reason the rear window is so important to me is for my dog....she loves sticking her head out the window and she'll be riding in the rear.

I'm thinking I'm going to see if they can get me into the SR5 package at the exact same price I had negotiated, and just have them build it for me and wait another 3 months. If they agree to this, I'm going to ask them to add on the Pro grill and I'll just pay the extra $400 or $500, and that should take care of some of the chrome on the front.

11. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:55 AM
    rmorse

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Bowie, MD
    Vehicle:
    I honestly DGAF about cruise control, since I never use it. But I'm reallllly annoyed about the keyless entry and the rear window. And slightly peeved about the nicer steering wheel.

12. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:10 AM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    You can always get an aftermarket alarm with keyless entry. Probably better anyway.

13. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:15 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    I like my sliding rear window on my access cab. Improves airflow though the truck with the windows open. can actually reach it too, unlike in the DC's

14. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:19 AM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    :frusty:

I can't reach it...so it always stays closed

15. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:19 AM
    Cmurder

Cmurder 2011 TX TRD Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    This man. Youll get further with honey than vinegar man. It sounds like its the truck you want except for rear sliding window and auto locks. Have them add them for free and buy it man. Obviously if its not what you want then walk away. And if you have it in writing where the salesman said there'd be a rear sliding window, easy and done. Good luck

16. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:20 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570

I never had mine open, due to the fact I always got the gas fumes entering the cab. Same issue I have when the rear window is down in the sequoia.

17. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:21 AM
    jztacoma

jztacoma Trust me I’m an Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Semi Stockish
    Being able to reach the sliding window is the best thing about the access cab. I went in for a service and the dealer tried to sell me on a new truck. Told them it has to be a Off-Road Package with the 6-speed manual. Tried to tell me they dont make the manuals any more and this whole BS thing. Eventually he looked it up and changed the story to "Well it takes months to get one and its like they don't make them"

If they can do everything how you wanted the truck just have them do it, as long as it doesnt cost you extra. You can't order that type of spec of a truck but it doesnt mean the dealer can't order in the parts and do it. Good luck with it!

18. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:21 AM
    Cmurder

Cmurder 2011 TX TRD Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    B.C.
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD Offroad
    nothing cool
    That was my first thought also. But i didnt realize AC could reach back so easily. And if the dog loves it then of course get it. Love my dogs.

19. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:23 AM
    rmorse

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Bowie, MD
    Vehicle:
    Yea, it's everything except the window, keyless entry and the leather wrapped steering wheel. Those are the things I really care about. We'll see what they do. Thanks

20. Mar 25, 2015 at 7:36 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New York
    Vehicle:
    SOLD:2012 TRD Sport 2017 SR5 4Runner
    Toytec 1/2 spacers, A.R.E Z, Firestone airbags
    I know it's easy to add that stuff but why spend that much money and not have it exactly the way you want it? The dealership can't order a truck correctly do you really want them working on a brand new truck? Your requests are reasonable so don't rush your decision good luck...

Products Discussed in

To Top