1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust issues?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by laughing badger, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Mar 25, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    laughing badger

laughing badger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello, new member here. I apologize in advance if this has been covered. i searched for results and got mixed review. I am considering a new frontier/Tacoma. I know both are good trucks. and obviously you all are slightly biased. My whole family has owned Tacoma. But my concern is rust. I have done many Google searches for Tacoma rust, and it apparently is still a very big problem. Some say only in winter states where they salt, others say they rust by looking at them. Does Dana and Toyota still put out frames and such with sub par rust proofing? I would hate to buy a new truck like a Tacoma and have it rust in two in a year. I have even seen pictures of new trucks at the dealer with rust on the front end. I live in Oregon by the way, no salt, but tons of water. Thanks for reading all this and hopefully replying.

2. Mar 25, 2015 at 9:29 AM
    skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 AC SSM
    From what i have gathered on here, toyota switched frame companys in 2009, and sued dana for supplying sub par frames. Just take care of the truck And i wouldnt worry about it. where i live they are absolutely ridiculous about the salt. We got less than an inch of snow last week and they dumped an unbelieveable amount of salt on the roads. Completely unneccessary, the city workers must get overtime and just dont care.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  3. Mar 25, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    I have an 05 taco that has been in the shop for two weeks now, and although it seems crazy, i would buy another taco. Toyota is taking the right steps to remedy the situation and in my case, will make my truck last much longer. the recall is on 05-08's so if you buy one, just take it to the dealer and have the frame either replaced or coated and enjoy your new ride.

4. Mar 25, 2015 at 9:52 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Yup. Toyota won $25 million from Dana.

5. Mar 25, 2015 at 9:52 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    If you're looking at a newer one, i THINK the issue is gone, so you're in the clear. Maybe someone else can confirm

6. Mar 25, 2015 at 10:06 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    I don't think anyone knows if the newer 2nd gen trucks will rust like the older ones or not, we haven't really had enough time to tell yet.

Here's the way I looked at it when I was buying a new truck a few years ago. At least you can deal with the rust issue, by undercoating every year. It's much harder to prevent some of the other mechanical issues that you could more likely run into with the Frontier.

I've been undercoating my 13', bought in the Fall of 12', with Fluid Film twice a year (early spring & late fall). After 3 winters there is barely any rust underneath and I live in PA where we use lots of salt, especially over the last two winters.

7. Mar 25, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 AC SSM
    since you use ff, do you still regularly wash the undercarriage during winter? Or does it wash away? I plan on using ff next winter, and just because ill have the ff, i wouldnt feel right not washing the salt off. i just got the truck this winter, so it is untreated. I have been hosing down with the garden hose, and hitting the carwash w/ underbody spray this winter depending on weather/ salt usage.

8. Mar 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]For rust prevention/treatment discussion and alternatives see:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...on-thread.html
    [/FONT]

9. Mar 25, 2015 at 11:08 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    You can rinse the salt off of the frame with cold water by hand, without taking off all the fluid film if you don't blast it to hard. If you go through an automatic washer that uses heated water, it might take off a lot more of the fluid film though. I only rinse the under body in winter with a hand sprayer when I can actually see a significant amount of white underneath, and it's also near or above freezing out. When it's really cold below freezing, rust doesn't form as quick or at all below certain temps.

Rust is more likely to occur in the spring, when it's warm and wet out all the time. If you have a professional undercoating like Krown done once a year, they recommend doing it in the spring not right before winter.

I've been using about 4 can's of FF in early spring, and then hitting it with about 2 cans in late fall. The first time I ever did it, I also put 1 full can in the rockers, and 1 full can in the bottom of the door panels (both have water drain holes to access them).

At the end of winter I usually have a lot of the FF left on the frame, except in certain areas that get a lot of road spray like the lower control arms. For those parts I actually cleaned them off and sprayed Amsoil HD MP on them, which cures dry and doesn't wash off. I'd probably do the entire truck in the Amsoil if I wasn't worried about over spray getting on my body. Over spray from FF will wipe right off, but from the Amsoil HD MP it cures and you need to remove it with a clay bar. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

10. Mar 25, 2015 at 11:49 AM
    laughing badger

laughing badger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the great feed back and tips. im very relieved to hear Toyota took the steps to fix the mistake, and to prevent it. This is by far the best truck forum i have found. Much better responses then the frontier one. Now my issue lies in 2.7 or 4.0 and what color :D

11. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:54 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    Although i have no issues on my 2012 Tacoma check out TacoGlenn thread(Rust Prevention/Treatment Consolidation.Excellent thread/write up!

12. Mar 25, 2015 at 1:13 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I think I can chime in here because I live in the same climate as you and the previous owner of my truck did as well. My truck is a 95 with zero rust and zero rust proofing, it just doesn't seem to have an effect unless you live in the salt belt. We get snow sometimes, but they use glycol so our trucks don't turn into rust buckets like the ones on the east coast do. Overall you should't have issues on the west coast, more likely to happen on the north eastern coast.

13. Mar 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have rust on my frame and undercarriage

14. Apr 2, 2018 at 12:05 PM
    KP_VT

KP_VT New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road,SuperWhite
    Would like to put the TRD Pro black rim on the TRD offroad. Issue is 17 inch vs. 16 on the stock. Will this mod work?
    I have a 2016 TRD Off-Road and live in Northern VT. I have just noticed rust bubbles forming in the driver side door well (next to and below the tacoma logo) protective plastic on the inside of the door. NOT PSYCHED! I'm very concerned a 2 year old vehicle would already exhibit this characteristic. I take very good care of my vehicle and wash it frequently in the winter as we have rust issues. Truck was also undercoated when purchased in March 2016. I also found out my rear bilstein shocks are leaking at 45k miles. Platinum warranty coverage will replace at no cost - but this is not the Toyota I grew up with or expect. Any other issues with 3rd gen's out there propping up?

15. Apr 2, 2018 at 12:18 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    You need to just do some searches. Like any marquee you'll find a bit of everything.

Haven't really read about body rust thru on new ones though. If you really have that issue you'd do well to be closely examining the frame. No telling what's going on under that undercoating

16. Apr 2, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    cliffyk

cliffyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 TRD Sport 145k miles
    Where do You live? If in a region that slathers roads with salt in winter, then just make sure you properly rinse/wash/maintain the under-carriage--if not then find something else to worry about... IMHO the "frame rust" jury is out on 3rd gen Tacomas, ask me again in 10 years...

17. Apr 2, 2018 at 2:35 PM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    Are you sure your not looking at the thicker orange peel looking paint that's on the bottom of the cab in the area your talking about? If that's what your looking at, that stuff is there to prevent rock chips.

Post a pic, and we'll be able to tell you.

Products Discussed in

To Top